IGNORED

PlayStation 1/2: lighteningcontroller horde.

Before submitted this as multiple categories one for each system over 6 months ago.  But people told me next time if it isn't like one or two months old too make a new thread instead of resurrect the old and because the separate threads were told to be combined anyway now be a good time to mention it.

I have a big collection of video games. My life for basically organically collecting them and noticed selling them for money.

I got a couple decisions to make about clutter.

If I find controllers for cheap at a thrift store (good luck doing that now thanks to Macklemore's song), I usually pick them up.  I tried to pick up a complete set to play any possible game on it.

The three questions concern PlayStation Genesis and Saturn.

I heard that every game on the PlayStation 2 and the PlayStation 1 can be played in theory with a PlayStation DualShock 2.  no I heard some people prefer to downgrade to a DualShock 1 or even a digital-only OG controller.

First of all, if you're introducing it to people for the first time and get together for a LAN party, would the difference between a DualShock 2,  a DualShock 1 , and a standard controller be THAT important to random strangers playing it for a few hours?

second if there are games which are SIGNIFICANTLY better with a standard controller or DualShock 1,. May I know which games those are, (or, if too many to list  the general categories those games fall in,) and the maximum number of DualShock ones and standard controllers I would need to accommodate the maximum players of such games.

Second such question concerns the Genesis.  I currently have five 6 button pad and three 3 button ones.  I have enough where we can play an 8 player game that would work with either type. The question is is there a game that requires more than five 6 button pads.  I know of one game wheel of Fortune Sega CD which requires three standard pads to play a 3 player game and that's the maximum.  Anything that requires a three-button that's beyond 3 players?

Same question for Saturn.  I've heard Golden Axe The Duel is the only game that requires standard controllers, but you only need 2.  I've heard certain games are better with the analog controller.  All the games that I've seen that use it only use at most

two analog controllers.  Any game in any regional world that uses more than two?  any of them worth playing and considered playable to an English speaking audience?

And then we got the crazy stick about light gun standards and multi-tap standards.

for multi Taps use a PS1 for PS1 games regardless of the physical console and PS2 multi-tap for PS2 games.  Plus I heard there's two different sizes a PS2 multi-taps.  one for old machines, one for new PS2s.  And for Genesis if you have two team players that could play any 8 player game, and any four player EA 4-way play game by entering the alternate mode.

Finally I assumed for light guns just need two of each flavor.  For the PlayStation 2, that means Two justifiers, two Guncon 1s, and two Guncon 2s.  Genesis is a little more difficult because there are three flavors.  I have one Menacer.  Is one all you need or are there dual Menacer games?  For just a fire you need a blue player one justifier that system specific and a pink Universal phone Port second player justifier.  Finally I got one American Laser Games Game Gun.  Is one all I need there.

Also someone has a link to games that need the original hardware, and fail the run on the upstep hardware... Like unplayable 2600 games on a 7800, unplayable Master System games out of power base converter, and an unplayable PlayStation 1 games out of PlayStation 2.

I know there's lots of holes in the Xbox collection partly due to incompatible technologies partly due to companies refusing to allow backward-compatible releases.  The only ones that got it right we're GameCube compatibility on Wii,( I think literally everything works except the Game Boy Advance player)  and the Wii games on the Wii U, except literally for Wii games that have to use the GameCube port for dance mats like Active Life and Dance Dance Revolution

• Sad 1

To simplify above:.

1. If me and my brother invited 6 random people to our house to play at 8 player Playstation 1 or PlayStation 2 game, will there be any complaints about using DualShock 2 all around the board?  What is the likelihood someone request a DualShock one or an original controller? 

The answers here will determine how many extras Ii have to sell on eBay.

2.  I currently have five 6 button controllers + 2 three-button controllers for Genesis.  Double dribble need ANY 8 controllers for a maximum.  Wheel of Fortune CD requires three standard controllers for a three player game.  Do I need any more standard controllers for games that require standard controllers? And does any game require more than 5 six-button controllers?

3.  I got 12 controllers for Bomberman and NHL on the Saturn.  I know you need to standard controllers with digital l&r for Golden Axe duel.  I know you need at least two analog controllers for the head-to-head analog games.  Do any games require more than two of a specific kind of controller?

4. For all consoles is 2 light guns enough? (Except Wii, which I know can use 4 guns )

5.  Is there anything a real 2600 can play that are 7800 cannot in 2600 mode?  Same question for the PS1 mode of a PS2?

• Sad 1

On 6/3/2020 at 7:01 PM, tripletopper said:

First of all, if you're introducing it to people for the first time and get together for a LAN party, would the difference between a DualShock 2,  a DualShock 1 , and a standard controller be THAT important to random strangers playing it for a few hours?

I thought a LAN party required ... a LAN ... so multiple PS2 etc... is that what you are setting up?

4 hours ago, tripletopper said:

To simplify above:.

1. If me and my brother invited 6 random people to our house to play at 8 player Playstation 1 or PlayStation 2 game, will there be any complaints about using DualShock 2 all around the board?  What is the likelihood someone request a DualShock one or an original controller? 

I'd think they'd be fine burglarizing what you have and wouldn't mind the actual setup ... why would you invite 6 R.A.N.D.O.M people?

For the rest, you are severely overthinking it, I remember me and 4 friends playing multi-players games 2 at a time and be fine in the lull when not playing just teasing the actual players and generally having a good time goofing off and trash talk about the ongoing game.

BTW Saturn Bomberman supports up to 10 players with the dual multitap, not 12: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_Bomberman

And stop thinking Macklemore had anything to do with thrift shops scarcity of cheap videogame related stuff.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, phoenixdownita said:

I thought a LAN party required ... a LAN ... so multiple PS2 etc... is that what you are setting up?

I'd think they'd be fine burglarizing what you have and wouldn't mind the actual setup ... why would you invite 6 R.A.N.D.O.M people?

For the rest, you are severely overthinking it, I remember me and 4 of friends playing multi-players game 2 at a time and be fine in the lull when not playing just teasing the actual players and generally having a good time goofing off and trash talk about the ongoing game.

BTW Saturn Bomberman supports up to 10 players with the dual multitap, not 12: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_Bomberman

And stop thinking Macklemore had anything to do with thrift shops scarcity of cheap videogame related stuff.

1. I never called them LAN parties back then, but with 10 players playing Bomberman, you had to coordinate your invites like a LAN party.

2.  When I said "random" I meant in terms of preferring Dual Shock 2, Dual Shock 1, and basic controllers, meaning I don't know what my friends would prefer in an 8 person Playsyation.  I did not mean pick 6 random names out of a web directory and invite them over.

3. Yes, I know Saturn Bomberman supports 10.  The highest support is 12 for the Sega NHL game. But two people would have to be goalie.

4.  I know Macklemore didn't DIRECTLY cause it.  But that song chronologically felt like the dividing line between good thrift selection and prices on EVERYTHING before.  and either overly expensive Atari 2600 Combat or empty gaming shelves after.

Whether he was creating the trend, or just mirroring it and amplifying it, I saw that song as a clear dividing line.   Can you think of a better, more clear line than that song?

Now that that song is close to a decade old, it may no longer be trendy, dropping the demand,  but the experience gained new fans, making demand  higher than before the song.  Plus less people are donating thanks to eBay, tightening supply.

On 6/7/2020 at 6:05 PM, tripletopper said:

2.  When I said "random" I meant in terms of preferring Dual Shock 2, Dual Shock 1, and basic controllers, meaning I don't know what my friends would prefer in an 8 person Playsyation.  I did not mean pick 6 random names out of a web directory and invite them over.

... how about you ask them? Why is that not an option?

My take is that with a PS2 you can have a blast with DS2, with a PS1 I bet DS1 is multiplayer nirvana.

I hate DS2 and DS1 because I do not like the fact that some games imposed analogue controls on me, so for PS1 I play with basic non analog controllers whenever I can because I like it that way but I wouldn't care in a multiplayer setting using a DS1 either ... I even remember buying the DS1 predecessor called Dual Analog ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_Analog_Controller ) ... should you buy that too?

With a single multi-tap adapter on PS1/PS2 you can already play a 5 players game and on Saturn a 7 players games ... I'll keep it simple and just try to get a single multi-tap and see where that goes, unless you already have all of them in double copy as it is.

Why do you need to have 8 or 10 or even 12 people at once playing the same game? 

The logistic of finding 12 chairs or a set of big couches is a nightmare on its own right, with 12 people a 50 inch TV is small, many rooms too small as well etc... etc....

But do as you please, given it seems you are a little hung-up on this detail buy 2 multi-taps of each kind, and one full set of controllers of each kind for each console ... that'll do.

There are games where the Saturn 3D controller is just much easier to use and some people may prefer it no matter what .... I wouldn't try to buy 12 of them but you probably should ... just in case those doubts come hunting you down again.

None of this has anything to do with having a decent multi-player experience ... but it seems it has a lot to do with some of your obsessions.
Like asking which games runs on 2600 and not 7800 (there's a very small list), I don't think if one of your friends finds that one or two games not working assuming you even have them she would unfriend you for that ... if she does she's not your friend.

• Like 1

I did ask two of them by Twitter handle and anyone else who follows one of us 3.  One of them explicitly said sell the extra DS1 and standard PS1 controllers.

I was just trying to figure out if a decent percentage of people prefer a DualShock 1 over a DualShock 2 or standard controller over either DualShock when a standard controller would work.

I heard a few people like the feel of the digital L2/R2 better on Dualshock 1s vs the gun-like triggers of the DualShock 2.

I just wanted to see if was common enough to reserve a few of those for people who request them.

By the way most of our crew was the Sega crew until the Dreamcast ended in 2001, so I don't know their PlayStation tastes.

In all honesty in 2001, I had to leave the neighborhood pretty quickly.

I probably don't need eight PlayStation controllers anyway but since I picked them up for a buck or 2  at thrift stores might as well have them.

Since then we sometimes meet on Xbox.  Even though this Generation is. kind of dodgy with all this movies and animes, and not acknowledging calls made to you on your Xbox account.

I was doing this if I ever get in the business of a videogame social center.  It's kind of like a video game store accept you can play video games beforehand and you can challenge people for fun or even for money if it's legal in Ohio, and it is as long as certain criterias of non randomness are fulfilled.  So I'll hold on to 8 PS2 joysticks in case that day ever comes up where there's an 8 player PS2 game that's nowhere else.

On 6/14/2020 at 11:37 PM, phoenixdownita said:

... I've got nothing .... this sounds very very prophetic

Hold onto them, don't hold onto them ... I don't think it matters.

The truth is the truth. Some say I'm being an asshole when in all reality, they know I'm actually being honest and accurate but they just don't like that I call it how it is. 

• Like 3

I heard that might be a possibility: the shorter travel time of the dual shock 1's L2 and R2.

Let me guess: in digital button mode, It's grossest bit.  Do above half is pressed and below it is not pressed.

I don't my friends are picky enough where DS1>DS2.

Any cases where digital> DS1 or digital> DS2?  Saturn has one "digital button required game, Golden Axe the Duel.

• 3 weeks later...

First no game "glitches out" or is unbearable or unplayable because of incompatibility.

However some say the Digital L2 and R2 are quicker on the DS1 vs DS2 and would give someone a gameplay advantage with quicker triggers.  Other than PS1 fighting games, would there be enough common titles where that would come into play.

By Independence day, I post my "jukebox playlist" of games I'll play on Twitch for bits.  You can look through PS1 and OS2 titles and tell me if you think any wuill apply.

I will write back when I set it up online.  By the way, is there a way to store a spreadsheet as a web page that others can organize by newness of console generation, or maybe  just Sony Systems themselves. or any other organization scheme factored in?

In other words a dynamic spreadsheet?