IGNORED

Question: AVG & SD-MAX living in harmony?

Mclaneinc

Hi folks,

I have both an SD-Max and an AVG with the new ATR mod and cable, at the mo I have to unplug one to use the other but I've seen a dual SIO board somewhere (think its from Steve T), what is the opinion of these devices living off the same card. I'm presuming that both will be classed as D1: when it comes to loading so I'm not hopeful. Now obviously I can just Xfer all ATR's to the cart and not use the SD-Max but with it I can use the super fast Xfer speed which I can't with the cart (not a criticism!) so it would nice to use both....Do people think that if both were on the same port that as long as I was not using the cart to load disks that the SD-Max would assume priority and I could boot from that?

I know it's very "what if" but trying not to waste on a card that could be useless?

@tmp

Edit: Looks like I might be falling at the first hurdle as what I thought I'd seen as a dual SIO port extender was in fact a dual SIO to USB.....Ack.....

Edited by Mclaneinc

Oh well spotted there....20.00 and shipping...Affordable...

The hope is that when the AVG is just on the menu that it has not automatically assumed itself as D1: at that point and that only happens when an SIO based load is activated...

Well that is the hope...

Did posty come?

If not it has to be by the morn!

Happy carting...Its so funky loading disks off a cart...I have to imagine how this would have gone down back in the day....Obviously impossible tech wise but I often think how some of these add on's our wonderful dev's produce would be seen at that point...Ultimate 1MB, Incognito etc etc...

Edit: Just ordered the Splitter, its will be useful as it is...Thanks for spotting it M....

Edited by Mclaneinc

3 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

Did posty come?

If not it has to be by the morn!

Happy carting...Its so funky loading disks off a cart...I have to imagine how this would have gone down back in the day....Obviously impossible tech wise but I often think how some of these add on's our wonderful dev's produce would be seen at that point...Ultimate 1MB, Incognito etc etc...

No post for me today, but the post has always been poor here. first class usually arrives 4 to 6 days from post date.

Struggling with finding a nice set of images separated by type and alphabetised , and my alphabetical list of games folders does not want to stay in order even after using drivesort ?

Is there a download of just carts somewhere?

hardware-wise there shouldn't be a problem with avgcart sio mod on the sio bus with other proper sio devices (untested though)

when it comes to "non-proper" sio devices (like sdrive-max without that extra circuitry), i wouldn't plug them together with any other devices not just avgcart

avgcart ignores requests for drives that don't have an image assigned so it should coexist with other devices just fine (assigning and cycling the images needs some work though, it's on my todo list for final 0020)

Happy with the Lotharek one, it looks nice too...Shame about the postage on it..13.00 but these times are awkward..UPS should be decent...

Always fear this sort of thing...Makes me laugh too..

Yeah getting a list of games how you like is damn hard, I just went for the throw it all in different directories and hope for the best approach..

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, tmp said:

hardware-wise there shouldn't be a problem with avgcart sio mod on the sio bus with other proper sio devices (untested though)

when it comes to "non-proper" sio devices (like sdrive-max without that extra circuitry), i wouldn't plug them together with any other devices not just avgcart

avgcart ignores requests for drives that don't have an image assigned so it should coexist with other devices just fine (assigning and cycling the images needs some work though, it's on my todo list for final 0020)

I'll look in to the extra circuitry you mentioned, having a wee issue with the SD-Max at the moment with it having issues with ATX files and then refusing to allow another disk to be chosen and then it locks up, in onecase it seemed to corrupt the sdrive atr as well, recopied it and its working gain ..Its working as it should at the moment but not tried another atx as yet (which do load)..Updated the firmware a month or so ago...

Thanks for the info tmp, good luck with the 0020, you know where I am if you need a test run..

11 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

I'll look in to the extra circuitry you mentioned, having a wee issue with the SD-Max at the moment with it having issues with ATX files and then refusing to allow another disk to be chosen and then it locks up, in onecase it seemed to corrupt the sdrive atr as well, recopied it and its working gain ..Its working as it should at the moment but not tried another atx as yet (which do load)..Updated the firmware a month or so ago...

Thanks for the info tmp, good luck with the 0020, you know where I am if you need a test run..

I have a few pcb's for the sdrive-maxx that add the diode if that is the "extra circuitry" that is required, I'll post you one if you like but it is a bare board

If there is no disk inserted into a slot on the Sdrive-MAX the disk drive itself is disabled so in theory (I haven't tested, damn cable shipping!) the AVG should work fine to boot disks with the SDM still plugged in as long as there are no disks mounted on the SDM in drives being used by disks mounted on the AVG.

I don't know if the AVG firmware does the same thing (disable the drive if there is no image mounted rather than leaving it as an enabled D device with no media in it) so it may be an issue the other way around.

I wonder if Fujinet disables it's D devices if they are empty.

3 hours ago, mimo said:

I have a few pcb's for the sdrive-maxx that add the diode if that is the "extra circuitry" that is required, I'll post you one if you like but it is a bare board

Thanks for the offer mimo but I'd rather have confirmation of if that is the extra stuff from someone would be great, I started on the 45 page SD-Max thread but gave up :)

Cheers for the very kind offer tho.....Still trying to work out what Uno is in mine, so many model numbers but none on mine apart from the word UNO so its likely a snide...Just so I know what upgrade version to use, the 1.2 update just asked you to say what screen was in it but the Kbr github has a list of Uno's to choose from :(

Edited by Mclaneinc

You might wire a SIO port to your AVG as a pass through...

why would both be D1:?

leave slot one empty on sdrive, as well as D0: save it.

set something as D1: on AVG  and you should be  up and going

or

leave the AVG slot empty

set D1: or D0: on the SDrive...

you can tab a drive on and control-tab a different drive number 1-4 directly....

I did notice you can set drives on the AVG one at a time as it assigns them the number increases and you can go back and tab off the ones you don't want...

I have to update my f/w/core to see if anything is different...

with a sio2sd sometimes you have to change the physical device number of the sio2sd  and then follow the same rules as ever ymmv

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

I wonder if Fujinet disables it's D devices if they are empty.

FujiNet ignores drives it doesn't have mounted.  The only trick is D1:, which it auto-mounts at boot to allow booting the Atari into the FujiNet configuration program.  However, it delays for a bit before doing this to give other devices the opportunity to respond first.

• Like 1

as far as FujiNet...

when you say Delays, do you mean it turns on D1: at some point even if D1: is already provided by something else?  I should think any configuration data should or could be previously saved and D1: behavior would of should be select-able as ON, OFF, or DELAY....

59 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

as far as FujiNet...

when you say Delays, do you mean it turns on D1: at some point even if D1: is already provided by something else?  I should think any configuration data should or could be previously saved and D1: behavior would of should be select-able as ON, OFF, or DELAY....

No - during the boot process when the Atari is polling to see if a D1: is available, FN will respond with its own boot drive after delaying for a bit to allow for a 'real' drive to respond.  It doesn't get turned on after that (unless you manually mount something to its D1: of course).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gavin1968 said:

The don't need to be both on D1, you can set the SDrive-MAX to D2 or D3 or D4. so that should not be a problem.

Yes it can but as the point is being able to boot disks from both they both need to act as D1: at the time as much of software has direct checks to what is defined as the D1: drive so its a important part of my idea that both device can act as D1: but not at the same time :)

But to sort of turn it full circle I must stress that the benefit of the SD-MAX here is the ability to use super speed loading which the cart does not support, everything else can be done from the cart so its not a massive issue. I'm more worried about this extra circuitry mentioned which I believe is a 1n4148 or similar to protect the Max but I'm not sure at all and would love to know what the actual stuff is and where it goes in the Max. I don't mind trying the both together but without the worry of blowing it all up :)

Cheers :)

I take your good word on that, as I always say, I'm not really electronics knowledgeable, I can recognise stuff, know voltage orientation on electrolytics, resistor codes, check voltage points ie all the general stuff but when it comes to circuit design I have zero clue, basically I'm a builder and not a maker. Gimme a kit and I'll solder it up with all the parts in the right places but that's my limit.

All I want to find out is what is this extra circuitry that tmp alluded to and where do I solder it in the SD-Max :)

That, I can do :)

2 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

I'm more worried about this extra circuitry mentioned which I believe is a 1n4148 or similar to protect the Max

If I remember correctly your Sdrive-MAX came from @chuckcaley on eBay and had that nice XE case. He fits an UNO2SIO board onto all of his Sdrives so you should already be safe.