IGNORED

Moon Cresta ColecoVision

opcode

I have reached out to Toby at Collectorvision to see if he has any suggestions.  I don’t have an original CV anymore but presumably I would also need the Super Game Module for these carts to work.

This is a stretch but is there anyone out there who lives in Toronto, preferably the east end (I live near Pickering), who owns a Phoenix or CV with SGM that we could try my carts on?  I could also bring my Phoenix to see if it does the same thing on your tv.  While I tried 2 tv’s they are both Sony and similar models.  I know the Phoenix has had issues with certain tv’s before.  If there is and you’re willing to meetup, please dm me.

I really want to get to the bottom of this.

• Like 1

Soooooo, Collectorvision was a dead end.  Apparently the Phoenix was developed by a 3rd party with all the technical know how and they’ve left Collectorvision high and dry, hence the reason why there’s been no further cores.  It’s therefore up to you guys to help.  

I need to test my carts on another Phoenix or CV with SGM and my Phoenix on a non-Sony HDTV.

A 3rd tv (still Sony.  Nothing but Sony TV’s in this house), a 3rd hdmi cable and still no firing sound.  Shall I load an earlier core?  What new problems will that give me IF it even eliminates this issue?  Shall I delete the core and load it again?  Could that even make a difference?

Edit: IGNORE THE TOP PLAY ICON.  It doesn’t work.  I don’t know where that came from.  I think we’re quickly establishing technology really doesn’t like me.

Edited by insertclevernamehere

Just reinstalled the CV core and used a different SD card just in case.  Made no difference.  Still no sound when firing.  Then I played my cart of Arabian from Team Pixelboy to see if I’m going mad and it’s not just the Opcode games.  Played perfectly fine.  No sound issues whatsoever.

There MUST be something about the way Opcode are programming their games that’s different which my Phoenix doesn’t like.

Can someone else who has a Phoenix and Moon Cresta post a video of them playing the game to prove it works for them?

Can a Collectorvision or Team Pixelboy programmer compare notes with Opcode?  That’s a big ask I suppose but I’m desperate.  It just doesn’t make any friggin’ sense!

1 hour ago, insertclevernamehere said:

Just reinstalled the CV core and used a different SD card just in case.  Made no difference.  Still no sound when firing.  Then I played my cart of Arabian from Team Pixelboy to see if I’m going mad and it’s not just the Opcode games.  Played perfectly fine.  No sound issues whatsoever.

There MUST be something about the way Opcode are programming their games that’s different which my Phoenix doesn’t like.

Can someone else who has a Phoenix and Moon Cresta post a video of them playing the game to prove it works for them?

Can a Collectorvision or Team Pixelboy programmer compare notes with Opcode?  That’s a big ask I suppose but I’m desperate.  It just doesn’t make any friggin’ sense!

I don't have sound when I shoot either on my phoenix, I didn't know it was supposed to make a sound. I don't know that reaching out to the Collectorvision team will be helpful at this point. They just posted a help wanted ad on facebook.
image.thumb.png.3f8fa626a16ac84cd4571251c8c54d4e.png

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, evg2000 said:

I don't have sound when I shoot either on my phoenix, I didn't know it was supposed to make a sound. I don't know that reaching out to the Collectovision team will be helpful at this point. The just wanted a help wanted ad on facebook.
image.thumb.png.3f8fa626a16ac84cd4571251c8c54d4e.png

While I feel bad for you, sort of, I’m so glad I’m not the only one!  A problem shared is a problem halved as they say.  Opcode, please take note!  I want to continue buying your games but while they have sound issues on the Phoenix, I don’t want to risk buying any more.

I'm not super worried about it, if you hadn't mentioned it I wouldn't have noticed and would have enjoyed the game :)
I also have  second phoenix, different run that I can try.  Just haven't found it yet, just recently moved and still unpacking.  I also have original CVs and SGMs.

Back in the day things like this happened, when Intellivision released the INTV II they added changes to break Coleco INTV carts, they also broke compatibility with a couple of their games.

21 minutes ago, insertclevernamehere said:

While I feel bad for you, sort of, I’m so glad I’m not the only one!  A problem shared is a problem halved as they say.  Opcode, please take note!  I want to continue buying your games but while they have sound issues on the Phoenix, I don’t want to risk buying any more.

Our games are specifically designed for the ColecoVision with the Super Game Module, and I cannot assume responsibility for any issues that may arise when our games are not running perfectly on a different platform, such as the Phoenix. The Phoenix essentially functions as a ColecoVision hardware emulator, and similar to other emulators, we cannot be held accountable for any discrepancies in how it implements features. In my honest opinion, you may be presuming too much about having a genuine ColecoVision console with the Phoenix and blaming the software for any discrepancies. 

If the manufacturer is not currently providing support, I must politely state that Opcode Games cannot be expected to offer that support in any capacity. You are basically asking me to compromise my games to compensate for the hardware incompatibilities. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, opcode said:

Our games are specifically designed for the ColecoVision with the Super Game Module, and I cannot assume responsibility for any issues that may arise when our games are not running perfectly on a different platform, such as the Phoenix. The Phoenix essentially functions as a ColecoVision hardware emulator, and similar to other emulators, we cannot be held accountable for any discrepancies in how it implements features. In my honest opinion, you may be presuming too much about having a genuine ColecoVision console with the Phoenix and blaming the software for any discrepancies. 

If the manufacturer is not currently providing support, I must politely state that Opcode Games cannot be expected to offer that support in any capacity. You are basically asking me to compromise my games to compensate for the hardware incompatibilities. 

Okay but this is copied and pasted from your October newsletter- 

Prepare for an exhilarating gaming season with three new Premium line games slated for release in December 2023/January 2024. These games require the Opcode Super Game Module or Phoenix

I get that the SGM compatibility is a priority for Opcode as it’s your baby but if you state your games require an SGM or Phoenix then you should ensure that they are fully compatible with both.

But now I know they aren’t, or at the very least it cannot be guaranteed, and I only have a Phoenix, I cannot risk purchasing any future Opcode games unless a digital demo is available ahead of purchase to test for complete compatibility.  Anyway that’s up to you.  Probably a bit too much work on your part for a very small segment of your customer base i.e. me.  Or maybe one or two others.  

Anyway, as I’ve already paid for season 2 of the Opcode Game Club, I guess I’ve got those 2 games to still look forward to/dread.  Maybe they will have no sound glitches.  Fingers crossed.  

I don’t know if the Omni is still a possibility in the future.  I’m still excited for that and if it arrives sometime in the future, I will likely be an Opcode customer again.

All the best.

• 3 weeks later...

This has now become the incorrect place for this but I don’t want to start over.  Believe it or not but I’ve only just picked up a cart of Space Fury and that has sound glitching too.  It’s now obvious it’s the Phoenix seeing as I’ve tried other tv’s (although all Sony) and other HDMI cables but what exactly could it be?

Could an update fix it?  But then I have the latest update and other people don’t have the problem.  If there’s something faulty in the Phoenix, what could cause it?

On 10/24/2023 at 8:59 PM, insertclevernamehere said:

This has now become the incorrect place for this but I don’t want to start over.  Believe it or not but I’ve only just picked up a cart of Space Fury and that has sound glitching too.  It’s now obvious it’s the Phoenix seeing as I’ve tried other tv’s (although all Sony) and other HDMI cables but what exactly could it be?

Could an update fix it?  But then I have the latest update and other people don’t have the problem.  If there’s something faulty in the Phoenix, what could cause it?

IMG_2092.mov 21.48 MB · 1 download  

Sorry,  but can you describe the specific audio issue in Space Fury?  I don't notice anything wrong.

Edited by retrolust

2 hours ago, retrolust said:

Sorry,  but can you describe the specific audio issue in Space Fury?  I don't notice anything wrong.

It’s a rapid, low clicking noise under all the higher pitched bleeps of alien speech.  I’ve not heard it on videos of the game and it doesn’t sound like it should be there.  You may need to raise the volume.  It’s not as loud as the bleeps.  This is what all the sound glitching on all the games I’ve discovered it on is.  A low click accompanying the sound that should be there or just the clicking sound in place of the sound effect that should be there, such as the absence of the firing sound in Moon Cresta.

On 10/30/2023 at 9:27 PM, insertclevernamehere said:

It’s a rapid, low clicking noise under all the higher pitched bleeps of alien speech.  I’ve not heard it on videos of the game and it doesn’t sound like it should be there.  You may need to raise the volume.  It’s not as loud as the bleeps.  This is what all the sound glitching on all the games I’ve discovered it on is.  A low click accompanying the sound that should be there or just the clicking sound in place of the sound effect that should be there, such as the absence of the firing sound in Moon Cresta.

ok,  so I tested my Space Fury on my Phoenix (latest firmwares) and I hear the same noise.  FYI,  there is some update being worked on and a primary fix is "audio".  so go look into that.  I'll not followup here on this unrelated post anymore

• Thanks 1

Don't get your hopes up too high. I made a small fix that initializes the AY sound chip for the sake of software that doesn't fully initialize it itself. It's not impossible that's your fix. If you have a rev 1 phoenix, and you are comfortable trying new cores, you can grab the untested/unproven/unofficial core from the github here:

https://github.com/tursilion/Phoenix-Colecovision/raw/sdcc4/CORE01.PHX

There are a couple of minor tweaks beyond that in the popup menu, but not too much that will affect most people. There are no HDL changes.

Now, if you try this core, you do at your own risk, but you can make the risk pretty low -- after you download it, just rename the number to a different core. (For instance, CORE05.PHX). Then install it as CORE05. You'll have to manually select it after you restart, then you can test and it won't affect the default core. If it works, then you can rename it back to CORE01.

I could really use feedback as to whether this core works for people. I do NOT know if it will work on the rev 2 Phoenix, so I don't recommend it there till I get more information about what's different.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Tursi said:

Don't get your hopes up too high. I made a small fix that initializes the AY sound chip for the sake of software that doesn't fully initialize it itself. It's not impossible that's your fix. If you have a rev 1 phoenix, and you are comfortable trying new cores, you can grab the untested/unproven/unofficial core from the github here:

https://github.com/tursilion/Phoenix-Colecovision/raw/sdcc4/CORE01.PHX

There are a couple of minor tweaks beyond that in the popup menu, but not too much that will affect most people. There are no HDL changes.

Now, if you try this core, you do at your own risk, but you can make the risk pretty low -- after you download it, just rename the number to a different core. (For instance, CORE05.PHX). Then install it as CORE05. You'll have to manually select it after you restart, then you can test and it won't affect the default core. If it works, then you can rename it back to CORE01.

I could really use feedback as to whether this core works for people. I do NOT know if it will work on the rev 2 Phoenix, so I don't recommend it there till I get more information about what's different.

Are you saying that if I get anything slightly wrong, I could potentially brick my Phoenix or even if I do it all right, there's still a very small risk that could happen?  How long before this core update is tested and made official?

15 hours ago, insertclevernamehere said:

Are you saying that if I get anything slightly wrong, I could potentially brick my Phoenix or even if I do it all right, there's still a very small risk that could happen?  How long before this core update is tested and made official?

No, I'm not saying that. But I am saying if you aren't comfortable with troubleshooting and dealing with a core that doesn't work and needs to be replaced (using the same mechanism), trying will only frustrate both of us. ;)

The boot core will always function and let you replace installed cores, so risk of bricking is very very very low. As far as I have been told. But I Emphatically Refuse to take responsibility for your trying this unofficial core. If that's cool I'll happily help you along. ;)

Can't answer your second question. I only have the synthesized HDL for the rev 1 Phoenix, cause that's all I have. I don't have and can't test the Rev 2 hardware. I've reached out but this is slow, as you already know. 

11 hours ago, Tursi said:

No, I'm not saying that. But I am saying if you aren't comfortable with troubleshooting and dealing with a core that doesn't work and needs to be replaced (using the same mechanism), trying will only frustrate both of us. ;)

The boot core will always function and let you replace installed cores, so risk of bricking is very very very low. As far as I have been told. But I Emphatically Refuse to take responsibility for your trying this unofficial core. If that's cool I'll happily help you along. ;)

Can't answer your second question. I only have the synthesized HDL for the rev 1 Phoenix, cause that's all I have. I don't have and can't test the Rev 2 hardware. I've reached out but this is slow, as you already know. 

So I downloaded the new core, changed its name to CORE05 as suggested and installed it on my Phoenix in slot 5.  I have to quit to get to my game menu but when I select a game, how do I know which core it's operating from?  I played my digital copy of Opcode's DKA and it still has the same sound glitch but I have no clue whether it's running from CORE01 or CORE05.

EDIT: OK, so I turned the Phoenix off, pressed * to enter fast core selection menu, pressed 5, then selected DKA and it still has the sound glitch.  Guess I'm done with the Phoenix.  Look out for it on ebay soon if anyone's interested.

Edited by insertclevernamehere