IGNORED

Moon Cresta ColecoVision

opcode

This was done in record two weeks for the ColecoVision with SGM, using I new tool I created for porting arcade games for the OMNI. It works pretty well with the ColecoVision as well as you can see here. Only thing missing is sound, and I will take care of that soon.

• Like 11

Just now, Ikrananka said:

Oh wow - Moon Cresta is an all-time favourite of mine.  Really looking forward to this.

Will there be different versions for the Omni and the ColecoVision?

Answering that, here is a preview of something I will announce probably in video format because it is a long story, but my focus this year is ColecoVision and ColecoVision only. Let's say I was forced into that as I will explain. Which isn't a bad thing by any means, now that I have the tools, I hope to put out a string of arcade ports on a quarterly basis or better.

• Like 3

so completely identical to the Arcade? or still some difference?

The plan is to have both Moon Cresta and Eagle in the same cartridge. Otherwise arcade identical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

The video looks great, especially the animation when your ship gets shot / destroyed.  But as it looks like the game is being displayed over the full width of a horizontal tv/monitor, and Moon Cresta and Eagle used "vertical" monitors in their arcade cabinets...the overall screen ratio (and thus the total distance from your ship to the top of the screen) won't be arcade identical...is this correct?  

Interesting question. Here is the answer. The beauty of the tool is that it compensates for resolution perfectly. The game is still 224 pixels wide (which is arcade accurate) but only 192 pixels high for obvious reasons. The tool compensate for that in ways I am not going to discuss here, but the result is arcade accurate on a frame basis. Which means relative vertical travel velocity is still exactly the same. So in short, this is as arcade accurate and perfect as it is technically possible for the CV. The result is similar to Pac-Man Collection, where the gameplay is mostly indistinguishable from the arcade. 

Edited by opcode
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, opcode said:

Interesting question. Here is the answer. The beauty of the tool is that it compensates for resolution perfectly. The game is still 224 pixels wide (which is arcade accurate) but only 192 pixels high for obvious reasons. The tool compensate for that in ways I am not going to discuss here, but the result is arcade accurate on a frame basis. Which means relative vertical travel velocity is still exactly the same. So in short, this is as arcade accurate and perfect as it is technically possible for the CV. The result is similar to Pac-Man Collection, where the gameplay is mostly indistinguishable from the arcade. 

Awesome to hear.  I know for games like Galaxian, for example, that limit your on-screen missiles to 1 at a time, with a "tall" vertical monitor it takes a long time for your missile to leave the screen if you miss all of the enemies.  Meaning, that the time to take your follow-up shot can seem like an eternity, which is one of the aspects that makes vintage games like this so difficult.  But often when they're ported to a horizontal screened game console and thus shrunk vertically, this now shorter screen means that this distance, and also this time are now shorter, which definitely changes the game-play and difficulty.  

In today's modern day and age, with the availability of LCD monitors with stands that allow for easy portrait/landscape rotation (assuming you're not talking about a 55" - 75" tv), it would be great to have games that offered the option to play in Horizontal or Vertical mode (when arcade accurate), like some of the Namco compilation titles on that were available on the Playstation.  Of course, not being a programmer, I have absolutely no idea what it takes to make this a possibility...I'm just typing out-loud here.

But truly, and with all sincerity, the game does look great, and I will definitely be looking to buy when it's available.  Keep up the good work.  

By the by, and not to thread jack I promise, upon doing a little cursory internet searching, it appears that the North American (Sega/Gremlin) release of Moon Cresta, and Centuri's Eagle, are 2 more games that would be arcade-accurately controlled by an "button-only" controller...like this:

RCSdUy.png

It's truly a magical time to be a ColecoVision owner!

• Like 2

Awesome controller! Love it.

The implications of the new tool goes beyond Moon Cresta. That means I can now quickly port arcade games, at a fraction of the time that was required before, with a high degree of accuracy. Next in line are Time Pilot, Pengo, Frogger, Lady Bug. Hopefully all started this year. 

• Like 5

Opcode, that is simply awesome!  I absolutely love the look.  I think you are well on your way to making the arcade perfect retro console experience on the SGM.  I cannot wait to see more and see Pengo when you start on that one... just make sure to add all of the Pengo music from all of the years to avoid which board version is better because of licensed "Popcorn".. ha ha..

Great to see more of your work!  Looking forward to purchasing this one as soon as its available.

• Like 2

On 6/4/2020 at 9:38 AM, opcode said:

This was done in record two weeks for the ColecoVision with SGM, using I new tool I created for porting arcade games for the OMNI. It works pretty well with the ColecoVision as well as you can see here. Only thing missing is sound, and I will take care of that soon.

Looks great. What about a quick conversion of an arcade game that uses a Horizontal monitor. Popeye would be awesome.

On 6/4/2020 at 3:38 PM, opcode said:

This is very interesting stuff.

I know this is your competetive advantage, but would you mind sharing some technical details on how the tool works and on what level. How does the work pipeline look like. I presume first step is to disassemble and work from there with the tool you implemented.

Does the tool scan for certain code patterns and does code replacements or only makes hints for you then to work on.

What programming language is the tool written in (python?) and what text processing libraries did you use?

Again I understand if you don’t want to share these details. But heck, to me the tool and its underlying technology is as much interesting as the games that are ported with it.

On 6/9/2020 at 1:56 PM, Yurkie said:

Looks great. What about a quick conversion of an arcade game that uses a Horizontal monitor. Popeye would be awesome.

Indeed, Popeye is a great game, and should be another easy one, so lets move that to the list. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, retroclouds said:

This is very interesting stuff.

I know this is your competetive advantage, but would you mind sharing some technical details on how the tool works and on what level. How does the work pipeline look like. I presume first step is to disassemble and work from there with the tool you implemented.

Does the tool scan for certain code patterns and does code replacements or only makes hints for you then to work on.

What programming language is the tool written in (python?) and what text processing libraries did you use?

Again I understand if you don’t want to share these details. But heck, to me the tool and its underlying technology is as much interesting as the games that are ported with it.

Because of the nature of the CV scene, with multiple publishers and a history of problems, that is a discussion we can have in PM. :) I see you were/are doing Time Pilot, and that is what I am doing next.

• 2 weeks later...
I love the ideas for ports, but IMO one that badly needs a redo, as I dislike ALL of it's 8-bit ports is Mr. Do.  The CV version is passable but lackluster.  The SNES one is the only port of it that was any good, but I would prefer a port on an 8 bit system. 

And I agree. The CV could have been so much better.

Good to hear! 

another redo/port I'd like to see are a more vectorish friendly port of Space Fury and especially it's quasi sequel, Zektor, a favorite of mine.  

Vector stuff is always a challenge with the ColecoVision hardware. A tile based system isn’t the best hardware for that unfortunately.

A particular game that I am sure would translate great for the CV is Crazy Climber, another Nichibutsu classic. Release only for the 2600, and even so in a limited edition. And the port wasn’t great either. Would be a great match for the extra buttons in the Super Action Controller.

And then there is that one game... Phoenix. Have been looking on that.

Opcode I love the sounds on the new video..  I was trying to remember where I have heard the Moon Cresta music before,  and it was Jupiter Lander for the Commodore Vic 20 / 64!  I grew up hearing those jingles..  I never realized they came from Moon Cresta, makes sense as commodore always "borrowed" assets, concepts and art from games at the time.

To those that might be curious you can listen to it now... now I have to wonder if its a famous piece of classical music I did not know.

You can hear both jingles (when the game starts and when it lander lands) within the first 30 seconds of this video.  I totally played so much of this game as a kid.. haha..  Opcodes game really brought back a fond memory..

Since people were mentioning games that are needed...

I would love to see Elevator Action Arcade or even Elevator Action  2.

Or better yet Two Tigers!  That game never got a real home version ever... Dr Destructo for the 8 bit computers is similar to it, but Eduardo can your tools do Atari arcade like graphics?  I am talking about things like Paperboy, Two Tigers, Tapper etc?  Those graphics used a strange higher graphics mode but I wonder if they can be done with some justice on the SGM?

• Like 1

Yeah its easy to go down a deep rabbit hole with wanted titles - I am mostly thinking about semi popular titles that never had good contemporary ports, Mr Do is high on that list.  Another one for me would be Gaplus/Galaga 3.  Some of the ones OpCode is talking about doing re-releases I didnt think are too bad. LadyBug for the CV is a solid port (but I would buy your version anyway), and I thought Time Pilot wasnt horrible. 

Then there is the super obscure stuff that I just want because I like them.  I like the game Itazura Tenshi (Lovely Angel), a very obscure Nichibutsu title, but its maybe too much of a niche title. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, imstarryeyed said:

Opcode I love the sounds on the new video..  I was trying to remember where I have heard the Moon Cresta music before,  and it was Jupiter Lander for the Commodore Vic 20 / 64!  I grew up hearing those jingles..  I never realized they came from Moon Cresta, makes sense as commodore always "borrowed" assets, concepts and art from games at the time.

To those that might be curious you can listen to it now... now I have to wonder if its a famous piece of classical music I did not know.

You can hear both jingles (when the game starts and when it lander lands) within the first 30 seconds of this video.  I totally played so much of this game as a kid.. haha..  Opcodes game really brought back a fond memory..

Since people were mentioning games that are needed...

I would love to see Elevator Action Arcade or even Elevator Action  2.

Or better yet Two Tigers!  That game never got a real home version ever... Dr Destructo for the 8 bit computers is similar to it, but Eduardo can your tools do Atari arcade like graphics?  I am talking about things like Paperboy, Two Tigers, Tapper etc?  Those graphics used a strange higher graphics mode but I wonder if they can be done with some justice on the SGM?

Very cool, they indeed used Moon Cresta tune. And a very good rendition of it btw.

As for hi-res games like TRON and Popeye, and the others you mentioned, they are possible, you just have to redo the graphics. I don't think they would look bad at all. 

Elevator Action: when I was doing the SGM2 stuff I used the tools to produce ports of Jungle King and Elevator Actions. I believe I posted several videos of Jungle King. But that was SGM2. Because of the hardware scroll, those two can't be fully ported by the existing tool without a lot of manual intervention. I will be working soon to add scroll support, but I need a less advanced specimen to be a starting point. The Taito hardware is super advanced for its time, with multiple planes, programable color palettes and a billion PSGs. Just insane. :P