IGNORED

Random Joystick Pic of the Day

gilsaluki

23 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

I LOVE that...I gotta get one myself. Custom DIY made or purchased? And what is the front door/hatch looking thing for and also what is that thing to the right of the Robotron decal?

Edit: never mind, I zoomed in and was able to make out the text saying it's a battery pack and power switch...so why does it need those is my new question...

Custom made by me.  The battery pack and power switch are for the illuminated push-buttons. 

The first "lighted button" controller I made was my Mouse Trap version for the ColecoVision...which does not provide any available power at the controller ports, like the Atari's do.  So as I already had a power solution figured out, when I built this one, I just replicated the power portion (even though technically the Atari's don't need).  Which I did as both a safety measure (so that there could be absolutely no damage to the console in the event of a short circuit), and it allows me to illuminate the push-buttons, whenever I want to on display, without having to have it plugged into a console that is powered on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

Also, forgot I modded my CX40 & Stickstand with a switch that plugs into the second port for Spyhunter oil/smoke button instead of two controllers.

20200609_110051.jpg

I like this one.  

I made up this one for a member here for the same purpose:

nV4ZzI.png

8KGkUX.png

SMS Control Pad with a custom-made single cable that breakout into 2 connectors near the console end, with custom Spy Hunter, arcade-inspired graphics.  

• Like 3

A couple of mods i made. The simon was for playing pinball on the 2600, i always found using a joystick wrong, and you couldn't put both flippers up.  The other was because I like to use a joystick over the d-pad, so i did this.  The stick is wired to the d-pad, left/right buttons are A/B.  The joypad is glued and all of it works.

pinball1a.jpg

nes1a.jpg

• Like 3

On 6/8/2020 at 11:55 AM, Mclaneinc said:

Here's some of my joysticks having a Gathering, sadly after the photo was taken all the joysticks had to be destroyed because they failed to observe the 2M social distancing rule...

prosho11.jpg

Is there a story behind the solitary sneaker?

• Haha 2

Hmmm,

here are two pictures of my joystick collection:

joysticks1.thumb.jpg.e4e62a372370d01394607fe844636eb8.jpg

joysticks2.thumb.jpg.3d32e105648d8510d4aaa6ccc571c360.jpg

Yes, I am a fan of Quickshot II, Quickshot II Plus and Quickshot II Turbo, all of them do have autofire (you can see 4x Quickshot II, 4x Quickshot II Plus, 4x Quickshot Turbo and another 2x Quickshot II in these pics.). There are two more Quickshot II Plus joysticks not visible in these pics, you can see them near my disk boxes in the "Cartholder" topic (and there are two more Quickshot II joysticks in my living room, connected to the 800XL)... so that's 18 joysticks atm. You can also see a Sys-Check-2 on top of the mice and in the small parcel under the mice are two IDE+/IDE-2 Rev. E interfaces. The packed Atari is defect and requires some repair service...

• Like 1

I'm liking what I'm seeing, but I have been restricting myself to joysticks. If we're showing anything that plugs into the controller ports...I might as well pull all the skeletons out of my closet.

20200612_152207.jpg

• Like 2

Not sure if I remember how to attach this one for Atari 8bit anymore; I would need to undergo Spock's Brain surgery for a third time, and though McCoy said he's game and has it down stone cold at this point, I am not sure that's a good idea right now.  

Apologies for the absurdist geek post...“A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.”

-- Gene Wilder > Willy Wonka > Roald Dahl

Holodeck panel.png

holodeck panel.jpg

Edited by Fingolfin
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Gunstar said:

I'm liking what I'm seeing, but I have been restricting myself to joysticks. If we're showing anything that plugs into the controller ports...I might as well pull all the skeletons out of my closet.

20200612_152207.jpg

did you ever use the Super Sketch?  I have one in the box. 

IMG_20200614_122908.thumb.jpg.c59349fef149cf9441bdae4c3e3ccab5.jpg

My weapon of choice since the early 90s: "Pacman" joystick manufactured close to where I live in Athens, Greece. For some reason very sought after by people who participate in Kick Off 2 tournaments. Tough as nails.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, gilsaluki said:

did you ever use the Super Sketch?  I have one in the box. 

Yes, I tested it out when I first got it. It...works...the problem I noticed is that the pots it uses are not quite  up to the task of reaching the upper corners of the screen, not enough resolution to them for the area of throw the arm has, and so it is impossible to draw on the entire screen to all four corners as the sketch pad gets in it's own way. I am planning, one day when I get around to it, on exchanging the sliding pots out for ones with more resolution so that the device can reach the corners of the screen before it gets in it's own way. Stock out of the box it's good enough for a kid to have fun with, for serious artwork, better pots are required. If it weren't for this issue, I'd give it an A+. The cartridge software is a very good clone of Micro Illustrator. I also have the box for mine, but it was crushed, still in the shrink-wrap, while being a NOS item on a dusty shelf for 30+ years, so only the pad and cartridge are in MINT condition. I paid aboout $30 for mine IIRC, just a couple years ago on ebay, I've seen them sell for $50+ since.

Edited by Gunstar

• 3 weeks later...

This was the pair my sister and I preferred back in the day, the hand grip is super comfy. Unfortunately they don't work well these days (might try to refurb them at some point). But I'd love to know who made them, they have no identifying markings on them at all other than "Made in Hong Kong" on the bottom.

IMG_4530.jpg

The handle looked familiar.

I think I found it on Atari Compendium site.

ataricompendium.com

Scroll down about half way and look for Video Controller.

RGA International Video Controller - RGA-1170

The handle is identical to a Spectravision/Spectravideo Quick-Shot, with a small 'pedestal' base and a four foot cord.

faq_controller_rga_1170_box.thumb.jpg.986d4966264cc8d67bd94685b59f8bf2.jpg   faq_controller_rga_1170.jpg.ac63143838980fc0f0928d45af63f830.jpg

You can find them on ebay. Video Controller-ebay

There are a lot of controllers that seemed to have copied the Spectravision controller and it's handle. I had a handle like that from an electronics store and mounted it to parts from an arcade machine joystick. I would think you would need a large base to steady it.

Edited by Gearhead Lu
  • Like 1

On 6/30/2020 at 2:10 AM, Gearhead Lu said:

The handle looked familiar.

I think I found it on Atari Compendium site.

ataricompendium.com

Scroll down about half way and look for Video Controller.

RGA International Video Controller - RGA-1170

The handle is identical to a Spectravision/Spectravideo Quick-Shot, with a small 'pedestal' base and a four foot cord.

faq_controller_rga_1170_box.thumb.jpg.986d4966264cc8d67bd94685b59f8bf2.jpg   faq_controller_rga_1170.jpg.ac63143838980fc0f0928d45af63f830.jpg

You can find them on ebay. Video Controller-ebay

There are a lot of controllers that seemed to have copied the Spectravision controller and it's handle. I had a handle like that from an electronics store and mounted it to parts from an arcade machine joystick. I would think you would need a large base to steady it.

Nice find! I've never seen the box before, that's pretty cool. And now that you mention it, I bet that base is a little hard to grip while in use, but I'm sure my smaller hands helped at the time I was using these :)  I'll keep an eye out for a Quick-Shot, it was definitely the pistol-grip that I liked.

57 minutes ago, foxmulder900 said:

Nice find! I've never seen the box before, that's pretty cool. And now that you mention it, I bet that base is a little hard to grip while in use, but I'm sure my smaller hands helped at the time I was using these :)  I'll keep an eye out for a Quick-Shot, it was definitely the pistol-grip that I liked.

Quick Shot 2 has been my preferred controller since I got mine in 85/86 I am guessing.

Here is a random "joystick".  I don't remember exactly why I built this back in the mid-80s, maybe just because I could?  Or, maybe there was some game that needed precise angles?

This is an old calculator that I got somewhere (maybe my dad's old calculator?), and I wired the 2-4-6-8 buttons to the four joystick wires, and the 1-3-7-8 are wired to them through diodes.  The red C button is the fire button.  The result is an 8-way control pad with a fire button.

I don't remember what the PCB looked like inside.  I'm guessing that it was probably a matrix and I cut the traces to isolate the individual keys.  I don't remember doing that, but it was a *long* time ago.

20200704_124327[1].jpg

Here's some info on the calculator: https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_334434

Edited by StickJock
Added link to calculator info
  • Like 3