IGNORED

Commodore 1702 mod?

griff3125

Hi all,

I just got a commodore 1702 off ebay, trying to decide if I should return it....

It's in very good condition,  but I never saws pics of the back and it came without the LUMA connector and instead had some cable mod installed which irks me.

It looks like a CGA connector and it's hooked up to a digitek board which is hardwired to the main board.

The front composite in works fine, but I can't use the LUMA CHROMA cables for the back which is annoying.

Pics attached of the cable and board that is inside the frame.

Anybody ever heard of this?

Thanks!

IMG-3373.jpg

IMG-3375.jpg

IMG-3377.jpg

• Confused 1

Looks like an RGB mod, which is very popular in places and for systems where RGB output is more common. If it were me, I’d probably reverse the mod and go back to Luma on that input, so long as the tube and internals are okay. Is the front panel composite image good? 

Thanks, the LUMA connector was cut off, and there are so many wires attached to the main board, not to mention I can't find docs anywhere,

so I don't know if traces were modified or other components swapped out, had I seen that originally, I would not have bid, ugh.

Anyhow, waiting to hear back from the seller now.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, the front panel composite is good, but I'm still feeling a bit taken :( .

According to this site: http://hol.abime.net/hol_search.php?N_ref_publisher=154

"DigiTek began as a hardware company. The first products they released were a RGB conversion kit to transform C= 1701/1702 monitors into RGB digital monitors".  

So if that is correct then the kit adapts the monitor for digital RGB as used by C128, IBM CGA, etc. 

If you Google:

"digitek" "rgb" 1702 

then after the link above, a couple of Compute! magazines come up that might include reviews or press releases. I didn't want to try and view them on my phone so I'm not sure.

Sorry it's not what you wanted but it's pretty neat!

Edited by monzamess
  • Like 1

Neat mod, but not useful if you wanted it just for the C64.

It sounds like seller did not take good photos if you didn't see it. If there were photos and you didn't notice, that's a different story, but eBay always sides with buyers, so seller will have a very bad day considering shipping costs.

Thanks for the above info, interesting going through the old computes, had to be small blurbs tho as could not find anything really specific.

Yeah, the seller included every angle BUT the back and inspecting the chroma/luma inputs never crossed my mind, I don't think it was intentional but

it was a bad oversight by him. Communication has been good thus far, but if no results by the end of the day, will get eBay involved.

Yeah sure, not intentional, every angle but... sorry, almost every monitor I've seen they always post the sockets, jacks, input or out, the controls, and sometimes a shot of it running...

so you either get a front shot and nothing else,

or almost everything in a series of shots....

not normally anything in between

to be honest, it shouldn't be an issue to put the missing rca jack back in...

You actually have a good bonus if you think about it...

Rather than a return, maybe a compromise with the seller, money back to add the rca missing parts back in... way better for all of concerned.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, griff3125 said:

Only have 1 bad shot of the back of the Digitek board, but already boxed it back up.

Could not find anything at all on Digitek, but I left everything intact. :)

Ahh cool. I certainly wish you the best of luck with your 1702 situation, griff3125. I own a 1702 and recapped it a few years back with a kit from console5.com.

As a fan of IBM and compatibles, I am also rather interested in your little RGBI mod you have there since it seems like that is what it is. It would be nice if there was some sort of documentation on it - the circuit Digitek used for both the board, their solder points, and the components they changed/added/removed on the board itself.

2 hours ago, mytek said:

That would likely work right out of the box with the Sophia RevB (RGB). In fact it might plug right into the Dsub9 connector that Simius usually crimps on the cable. And boy would that give you a beautiful picture ? .

Sophia_RevB_Settings.pdf 52.52 kB · 4 downloads

I'm not so sure. If that 1702 mod is truly digital RGB (16 colors) it will need modification/reengineering (of some kind) to support analog RGB.

Thanks Monzamess and everybody else for the input.

Said monitor is on it's merry way back to South Carolina where it'll be relisted on eBay, and I'll bet dollars to donuts it'll be

the only one on there with that jack hanging off the back.

If it sells for $5000, put a fork in me, I'm done. :)

• Confused 1

It seemed to me, there were folks clamoring to buy or exchange for your monitor. Sending it back to ebay seller confused me a bit as you could have had cash and or a monitor... so a way to recoup your money and buy another or even just had another. Best of luck on your monitor hunt.

Perhaps, but the transaction left a sour taste in my mouth and I wanted to straighten it with the seller.

It wasn't what I ordered, which ticked me off. I also had no way of testing the RGB input, so I'd feel uncomfortable selling it to another party.

It'll be up on eBay in a week or so, I'll be curious to see the description.

• 2 weeks later...