IGNORED

bluetooth to 2600

RevEng

Even though it's been reported that they don't work with the 2600, I picked up an 8Bitdo Bluetooth Receiver for MegaDrive/Genesis, on the hunch I could make it work with the 2600. (my hacks were the first 2-button genesis-pad games running on the 2600. I have some familiarity with the scheme)

The reason that genesis pads work at all on the 2600, is the +5v line on the 2600 is connected to the genesis controller SELECT line, which results in two things - it selects the B and C buttons for reading (instead of A and START) and more importantly, it back feeds power to the multiplexer chip in the controller.

My hunch was the 8Bitdo adapter wasn't amenable to being backfed. I popped open the adapter, soldered a single jumper between pins 5 and 7 to ensure both were powered. Sure enough, when I plugged it into my console it lit up and worked like a charm.

Overall the 8Bitdo adapter is quite neat. According to their faq, you can connect to the adapter with: Xbox One S/X Bluetooth controllers, DS4, DS3, Switch Pro, JoyCons (including NES and FC versions), Wii U Pro, Wii remote, as well as all 8BitDo Bluetooth controllers.

I've been using my adapter with a wiimote. The 1+2 buttons map to genesis B+C, which is perfect for 2600 2-button games.

The one issue I have with the adapter is the plug is a bit tight going into my 7800, and it's made out of rigid plastic. It fits, but I'm not happy with the amount of pressure required to seat it fully. I may wind up taking some sandpaper to it later.

[edit - added pics...]

adapter-front.thumb.jpg.1a16f10b438fcb831132bb862358cadd.jpg

adapter-top-pin-5.jpg

adapter-bottom-pin-7.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

On 6/4/2020 at 7:23 PM, RevEng said:

Even though it's been reported that they don't work with the 2600, I picked up an 8Bitdo Bluetooth Receiver for MegaDrive/Genesis, on the hunch I could make it work with the 2600. (my hacks were the first 2-button genesis-pad games running on the 2600. I have some familiarity with the scheme)

The reason that genesis pads work at all on the 2600, is the +5v line on the 2600 is connected to the genesis controller SELECT line, which results in two things - it selects the B and C buttons for reading (instead of A and START) and more importantly, it back feeds power to the multiplexer chip in the controller.

My hunch was the 8Bitdo adapter wasn't amenable to being backfed. I popped open the adapter, soldered a single jumper between pins 5 and 7 to ensure both were powered. Sure enough, when I plugged it into my console it lit up and worked like a charm.

Overall the 8Bitdo adapter is quite neat. According to their faq, you can connect to the adapter with: Xbox One S/X Bluetooth controllers, DS4, DS3, Switch Pro, JoyCons (including NES and FC versions), Wii U Pro, Wii remote, as well as all 8BitDo Bluetooth controllers.

I've been using my adapter with a wiimote. The 1+2 buttons map to genesis B+C, which is perfect for 2600 2-button games.

The one issue I have with the adapter is the plug is a bit tight going into my 7800, and it's made out of rigid plastic. It fits, but I'm not happy with the amount of pressure required to seat it fully. I may wind up taking some sandpaper to it later.

Would you possibly be able to share a screen shot and/or guide for this mod to the Genesis retro receiver?

50 minutes ago, mario64 said:

Would you possibly be able to share a screen shot and/or guide for this mod to the Genesis retro receiver?

I added some pics to the first post. A detailed guide is probably a bit much, since it's just one jumper wire. Basically unscrew the case, pop open the case, tin and trim your wire, and solder the wire to pins 5 and 7. :) 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RevEng said:

I added some pics to the first post. A detailed guide is probably a bit much, since it's just one jumper wire. Basically unscrew the case, pop open the case, tin and trim your wire, and solder the wire to pins 5 and 7. :) 

Excellent thank you!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

Nice mod.  But no need.  A seagull 78 powers the adapter on my 2600 and 7800.  I got 2.

Yep, seagull 78 was demonstrated by ave1 in the second post.

I'm not really sure about "no need". If someone doesn't care about 7800 compatibility, the mod takes 2 minutes and doesn't cost anything. Seagull 78 is a $25 adapter that isn't presently available for sale.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RevEng said:

Yep, seagull 78 was demonstrated by ave1 in the second post.

I'm not really sure about "no need". If someone doesn't care about 7800 compatibility, the mod takes 2 minutes and doesn't cost anything. Seagull 78 is a $25 adapter that isn't presently available for sale.

Atariage store has it.  And opening up the adapter voids the warranty.  Plus I never learned to solder.

25 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

Atariage store has it.  And opening up the adapter voids the warranty.  Plus I never learned to solder.

Well, since you say you have two of the adaptors, then it sounds like you don't need to worry about doing the mod anyway. And AA is out of stock of them right now,  anyway. Check the page and see for yourself. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Lillapojkenpåön said:

Is it possible to pair one controller to two receivers?

Sequentially? i.e. one receiver in a 2600, and another in a 7800, so you don't need to move the adapter around. Sure, no problem.

In parallel? i.e. two receivers in two ports of a console? Nope. This is a limitation of the controller being unable to connect to multiple bluetooth devices at one time - not aware of any controllers that would allow this.

30 minutes ago, Lillapojkenpåön said:

Is there some software that let's you re-map buttons?

I don't believe so. The mapping for various controllers is spelled out in their manual.

You can pair one controller to many adapters. AFAIK, you can pair multiple controllers to one adapter. You just can't use them all at the same instant in time.

You can't connect one controller to multiple adapters at the same instant in time. I mention this unusual scenario, in case anybody has ideas about using two adapters for games that use two sticks.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2020 at 8:23 PM, RevEng said:

I have the same issue with a bunch of replacement cable that I have bought to build custom joysticks.

I had a male-female DB-9 adapter and give it a try. Luckly it fitted nice to the console, you only need to take off the screws.

images (53).jpeg

• Like 2

So I did the RevEng one wire mod and my controllers will pair and work with Combat, but when I try my Harmony Cart they do not.  I can get a transient move of the cursor down then it goes right to the top of the list on the cart.  When I used a CX40 with my Harmony Cart it worked well as expected.

Can anyone try this with a Harmony Cart please?

Harmony doesn't work with genesis controllers by default, because Harmony's autodetection thinks paddle controllers are plugged in. IIRC you need to hold down the genesis B button (or whatever the controller is mapped to) as you turn the console on, to switch Harmony into genesis controller mode.

Of course, this may be a problem with the 8bitdo adapter, as the harmony will likely boot before your controller can even sync.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 12:23 AM, RevEng said:

[edit - added pics...]

adapter-front.thumb.jpg.1a16f10b438fcb831132bb862358cadd.jpg

adapter-top-pin-5.jpg

adapter-bottom-pin-7.jpg

Thank you very much for the good idea. I am starting the mod now hope it works as I was trying to power mine trough power bank and that did not work, I realy dont care about the warranty of the 8bitdo as I was almoust certain I will have to mode it somehow :)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, GENZZA said:

Thank you very much for the good idea. I am starting the mod now hope it works as I was trying to power mine trough power bank and that did not work, I realy dont care about the warranty of the 8bitdo as I was almoust certain I will have to mode it somehow :)

Did you get the pink led?  I was trying to power my dongle via the USB port, and so far as I've been able to determine, if it doesn't see a USB host when powered via its USB port, the device will halt with a pink led after syncing your bluetooth controller.  At least that is what I've seen with my current firmware.

On 7/5/2020 at 1:21 PM, fluxit said:

Did you get the pink led?  I was trying to power my dongle via the USB port, and so far as I've been able to determine, if it doesn't see a USB host when powered via its USB port, the device will halt with a pink led after syncing your bluetooth controller.  At least that is what I've seen with my current firmware.

Yes I got the pink color when using the second power source and when it was only plugged in the Atari my led was blinking weak like it was struggling with the power so I thought that the current might not be enough. Anyway you found the solution which I am very greatful for, here is a picture of my Atari synced with the PlayStation controler, works perfect on Uno Cart and on the Pluscart, the Harmony seems to take it for a paddle but if you just leave it for a minute or so it starts working ok. The only down side is everytime I switch to a new game means I turn the power off which makse the 8bitdo lose its connection with the controler so then I have to press the PlayStation button to sync it back again.

IMG_4018.jpg

• Like 3

On 6/7/2020 at 8:31 PM, 0078265317 said:

Well then stop talking shit about Mike's very useful technique then just because you don't know what you're doing.

• Like 4