IGNORED

New with SIO2Sd I need some help

Turk182!

Hi all,

I just received my SIO2SD and I had a lot of doubts that I resolved thanks to this forum, but I had 2 more that I canot resolved.

The fisrt one is how to manage double side games, I mean I put Dallas Side 1 on D1 and Dallas Side 2 on D2. I run the game and when he ask me to put the Side 2 I select my D2 and nothing it doesn't work. So my question is : Some have the correct procedure to manage 2 sides games?

My second doubt is with the BAS program, I select one on the D1 then on Basic I type : Run "D1:CASTLE.BAS" and I hace a magnifie Error - 130. What I'm doing wrong?

SIO2SD is a great hardware with a big lag of documentation :)

Thanks for your help. 

I am guessing that a two-sided game may not allow for each side to be in a different drive.  That is, why would you take the disk out of drive 1, flip it over, and put it in drive 2?  This is fundamentally a difference between a 2-disk game, where each disk may be placed into a separate drive, and a 2-sided game, where you can only access one side at a time.

When it asks for side 2, move the side 2 image to D1.  I think there may be a "rotate" function to do this for you?

For your second question, did you boot with a DOS image in D1 to start with?  Basic can't access the drive unless you booted to DOS first to install the drivers.

For your first question: The "virtual" drives are very handy for those situations, actually also handy for your 2nd question.  but let me ask you first, have you managed to boot to the SIO2SD configuration menu (I don't remember the exact name)  in which you can go thru the SD card content in the Atari Screen?

If yes, then you can do Ctrl-T twice to get to the virtual drives, you set there the second side of the disk image (using the number keys of your A8).

Another Ctrl-T will put you in the original screen (with D1: D2:, etc).

Then using the 5th and 3th button, you can assign those images to D1: (or D2: or any other drive number).

The way I do it , most of the time, is that I have the most frequently used images I use loaded in those virtual drives, like V1:dos25.atr  , V2:mydos.atr, V3:sectorcopiers.atr, V4:atariplanetarium_S1.atr  V5:atariplanetarium_S2.atr  , etc

then using SIO2SD buttons 5 and 3 I keep rotating all those images to D1: .

For example: lets say you have D1:basicprogs.atr , I press and hold button 5 and then press button 3 once. So I got D1>dos25.atr. Then I boot the computer (without option pressed to enable basic), then I hold button 5 and press button 3 , 5 or more times until to get to D1:basicprogs.atr again in the sio2sd display.

so now you can do Run "D1:CASTLE.BAS".

Later, I want to use the Atari Planetarium, which consists in two sides. So I press and hold button 5 and press button 3 , 4 times to get D1>atariplanetarium_S1.atr , and then reboot the computer (in this case with option pressed). Later when prompted by the program I press button 5 and 3 in the sio2sd one more time to get to D1>atariplanetarium_S2.atr 

I guess you get the idea. Once I learned how to make use of this feature, the device make a lot more sense, and it is really enjoyable.

You can assign disk images (atrs) to V1: , V2: , etc using the buttons and display in the SIO2SD, it a bit more confusing, but you will get use to that after a while, that way you won't need to enter the SIO2SD conf tool, when you want to assign images "on the fly" without rebooting your computer

Edited by manterola

Boot your favorite DOS capable of Duplicating, or Your favorite Sector copier capable of formatting, set up a real disk drive, pick your your favorite ATR, make sure the sio2sd has one drive ID and the real drive has another...

Put a blank in the real drive... set your source and destination and have at it.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Boot your favorite DOS capable of Duplicating, or Your favorite Sector copier capable of formatting, set up a real disk drive, pick your your favorite ATR, make sure the sio2sd has one drive ID and the real drive has another...

Put a blank in the real drive... set your source and destination and have at it.

Just to complement with one example.

Real drive set to D2: with a blank diskette   then sector copier in sio2sd as D1: and disktoduplicate.atr as V1:

Check that D2: is not assigned to anything in the sio2sd  

Boot (press X to boot from sio2sd config also press option if you want to disable Basic)

The A8 will load the sector copier, then press button 5 and 3 in the sio2sd to change D1:sectorcopiers.atr to D1>disktoduplicate.atr

Start the duplication process..  (Source D1: to Destination D2:) . That's it

That is just an example as it can be done from D2: to D1: obviously by setting the real drive to D1: and the sio2sd as D2: 

Edited by manterola

depends on the DOS you are using,

SpartaDos X gives you immediate access to all 15 drives at up to 32MB on hard drives and other devices that support it.

In SpartaDOS, SpartaDOS X, and MyDOS... just select the drive (D5:) either on the DOS command line or MENU, then type the filename.ext and the binary file will load, or if need be...    X filename.ext or  'L' filename.ext      etc etc etc.

If you are in BASIC

RUN"D5:filename.bas"

and so on...

Many developers, archivists, and the like can eat up those 15 drives with a ton of source material and data.

The drives can be swapped in and out as well as rotated around either by DOS, or many devices themselves...

Lots of music and video stuff too....

Edited by _The Doctor__

On 6/5/2020 at 2:35 PM, manterola said:

Just to complement with one example.

Real drive set to D2: with a blank diskette   then sector copier in sio2sd as D1: and disktoduplicate.atr as V1:

Check that D2: is not assigned to anything in the sio2sd  

Boot (press X to boot from sio2sd config also press option if you want to disable Basic)

The A8 will load the sector copier, then press button 5 and 3 in the sio2sd to change D1:sectorcopiers.atr to D1>disktoduplicate.atr

Start the duplication process..  (Source D1: to Destination D2:) . That's it

That is just an example as it can be done from D2: to D1: obviously by setting the real drive to D1: and the sio2sd as D2: 

This has totally confused me.   I get the basis of it, SIO2SD as drive 1, Real Drive as two...  But the rest you said is Greek, Mandarin Chinese to me.   "disktoduplicate.atr as V1"?!?!?

"Boot (press X to boot from sio2sd config also press option if you want to disable Basic)

The A8 will load the sector copier, then press button 5 and 3 in the sio2sd to change D1:sectorcopiers.atr to D1>disktoduplicate.atr"  Huh!?

1 hour ago, gilsaluki said:

OMG. More confused; what 3:35 post>?

Post #4 I wrote at 3:35pm yesterday

Few lines up this post? Come on.. Is this a joke..? At least the original poster found it useful... ;-)

Edited by manterola

On 6/5/2020 at 2:18 PM, _The Doctor__ said:

Thanks Doc.   I was finally able to copy a file to a real disk.  Your instructions got me there.

• Like 1