IGNORED

Apple IIe

Used it in gradeschool.  Typical MECC entertainment  suite was licensed by the school, as was the text based word processor. 

There was a game (that I forget the name of) that was a graphics + text based adventure game in the same vein as the original AGI kings quest series that was on some of the computers in the gifted kids computer lab.  In addition to that though, my experience with this system is limited.  I never owned one.

• Like 1

Actually, my first Apple experience was an Apple ][, then a ][plus in my GATE class in fourth grade.  We had the TI-99/4A at home, and the school had a 99/4 in one of the supplemental classrooms but no other computers for the students.  That year I got a subscription to COMPUTE! Magazine for my birthday and I started entering the programs on the TI at home and on the Apple every week in GATE.

In fifth grade we had access to the new computer lab, outfitted with shiny new IIe and IIe Enhanced computers.  We used the standard MECC suites like most kids of the era, and I was able to play with Print Shop when I would work in the office.

Funny story.  By this time (fifth grade,) I had been programming for almost a year.  Over the summer one of my dad's troops challenged me to write a game on the TI: I had complained about crappy games and he says to me, "if you think you can make a better game, then why not write your own?"  So I started writing games in TI BASIC.  Having been entering programs from COMPUTE! on both the TI and Apple, I had a good grasp on how to break them down, as well.  I applied this skill at school to The Oregon Trail, learning when to stop the program, what variables to change, and how to continue the program without having things screwed up.

I made it so I could finish the game with lots of money, food, and supplies left over.  I got so bold as to change the routine which kills off your travelers so I ended with everyone still alive.  Nobody had a problem with me doing that until I, being a young entrepreneur, hired out my skills to other students.  I started learning more programs we were using, including some which counted for grades, and made a killing in ice cream sandwiches and chocolate milk.  I earned a ban from the computer lab for my enterprise, and this pretty much set the standard for almost every year of school to follow.

Circling back a bit, this computer lab ban is what landed me my "job" in the school office.  During lab time I reported to the office to help with chores or whatever, which often included making banners or awards in Print Shop, stapling papers, putting stuff in filing cabinets, or other mundane activities to keep my hands from being idle.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, classicgamer74 said:

In the latest episode from my channel I discuss probably the first computer most of us ever worked with:  the Apple IIe.  When did you first learn about this computer?  What are your favorite programs/games?  I'd like to know.  Thanks!!

Thexder was in fact, ported one console, but only in Japan. It was available on the Famicom (Japanese NES). It's isn't what I would consider to be an outstanding port, but it exists, and you may want to try it. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GameGeezer said:

Thexder was in fact, ported one console, but only in Japan. It was available on the Famicom (Japanese NES). It's isn't what I would consider to be an outstanding port, but it exists, and you may want to try it. 

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll have to check it out. Something tells me it's not any easier.

I first saw a IIe in a computer store while on a family trip when I was in about 8th grade.  I begged my parents to stop there and remember playing a demo that had a rabbit moving around a maze to get a carrot.  I begged my parents incessantly to get one and eventually they caved, buying one from a local Team Electronics store.  I had a few games, but couldn't afford much so I played around with BASIC programming.  Once I got my 300 baud Hayes MicroModem II and discovered pirate BBS's and AE Lines, my game library increased exponentially!  We also got IIe's in our high school and traded a ton of games there.

For me, the IIe was all about getting and playing games, and Broderbund games were my favorite - Karateka, Prince of Persia, and Wings of Fury.  AutoDuel by Origin Systems was also a favorite.  For two player games, I liked Hardball and Mario Bros, which of course my friend and I only played in deathmatch mode!

I ran a BBS / AE Line of my own on and off for several years and revived it a couple of years ago, so I'm having a blast reliving my Apple II days.  And it's so cool that all these great games are now being converted to ProDOS by qkumba so we can play massive collections of games, like Total Replay, right from our hard drives!

• Like 3

My first experience with a computer was with an Apple II+ that my grade school had.  One Apple II+ on a cart went from room to room on a schedule and we were all given a chance to use it.  Within 2 years, every classroom had an Apple IIe, except one which had a Bell & Howell II+.  I also had a TI 99/4A at home and worked with it a lot, but I was given a lot of computer time in grade school because I had a strong interest in it.  In 7th grade, everyone was required to take a 9 week BASIC class on Apple IIes.  The teacher learned quickly that I already knew more than the class would teach me so I was left on my own to use the computer as I saw fit.  At the same time I had a Commodore 128 at home and used it a lot as well.  And I still work with computers today, but now I’m paid to do so.

• Like 3

On 6/5/2020 at 11:25 PM, wierd_w said:

Used it in gradeschool.  Typical MECC entertainment  suite was licensed by the school, as was the text based word processor.

Same here. We had a couple Macs (with color screens!), but otherwise you played the old Apple IIs.

Lots of Oregon Trail, but also lots of Number Muncher, Word Muncher, etc.

Bought my own Platinum IIe from a thrift a while back...it had been sitting with a $50 price sticker for quite some time. One day I noticed the price sticker was missing, so I played dumb and asked how much, and they said $25 B)

I still kind of want to get a green phosphor monitor to go with it...but wow, those shipping prices.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Asaki said:

I still kind of want to get a green phosphor monitor to go with it...but wow, those shipping prices.

I have 3 of those that I just pulled from storage!  I'm going to check them out sometime next month.  (project backlog)

• Like 1

Was definitely the first computer I ever used, I believe a non enhanced IIe from 1983. I was in third grade. Wanted one but we could never afford one. First program I ever used was the Apple IIe Introduction on disk and favourite game at the time was Choplifter. Favourite all time Apple games were Karateka, Lemonade stand, Where in the world Carmen Sandiego ,Swashbuckler and Aztec. Neighbour had a TI, so we played that. I vaguely recall using an 800xl on display at a K-Mart which was running basic but there was also a c64 right next to it running BC Quest for tires. We ended up with a c64 but I always loved using the Apple in school as well and I was constantly dropping into the built in machine code monitor and messing around with the 6502 instructions.

• Like 3

On 6/5/2020 at 8:50 PM, classicgamer74 said:

In the latest episode from my channel I discuss probably the first computer most of us ever worked with:  the Apple IIe.  When did you first learn about this computer?  What are your favorite programs/games?  I'd like to know.  Thanks!!

Cool!  I will have to check it out soon.

• Like 1

When I first got an AppleII I already knew BASIC. So imagine my surprise and delight when it “crashed” to the monitor.

It was like a whole new world. A magic arena in the underworld realm for the gods of programming. A subspace domain of surrealism.

Mysterious things happened there. 

To a kid that’s real discovery! Sophisticated discovery that kept me coming back for decades.

Thanks Woz!

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I guess my first exposure was from reading about them in gaming magazines.

When I got to high school, some of the classrooms had Apple IIe's in them but they were almost never used.   I think the first time I actually used one was in my high school Pascal class.

I also remember one of the classrooms got a brand-new IIgs around that time, and that was exciting, but I never got to use it or see it running.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Same here. We had a couple Macs (with color screens!), but otherwise you played the old Apple IIs.
Lots of Oregon Trail, but also lots of Number Muncher, Word Muncher, etc.

Bought my own Platinum IIe from a thrift a while back...it had been sitting with a $50 price sticker for quite some time. One day I noticed the price sticker was missing, so I played dumb and asked how much, and they said $25 B)

Ok so I'm in California. I have one. It works. Let's work on this. I would be willing to take a partial road trip if you're local22e33039249dedf50cbc7888091ab17f.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I was lucky, my parents got a //e when I was a small kid and it ended up being "my" computer once they upgraded to a Mac SE.  

I used it for about 10 years before I had another PC of my own (a 486 sx 25) and it is still functional except the FDDs (I have a CFFA instead).

This bring me to my earliest coding anecdote... 

When I was very young I was trying to do some BASIC and I kept getting Syntax Error.

I asked my dad what it meant, and he told me I had to enter the command "properly".

I came back a bit later saying it didn't work, so he went over to check the computer.

I had basically entered the same command, followed by "PLEASE" :)

Edited by Newsdee
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 6/14/2020 at 5:56 PM, Mehridian Sanders said:

Ok so I'm in California. I have one. It works. Let's work on this. I would be willing to take a partial road trip if you're local

I'm in West Michigan; that's just a tiny bit too much of a road trip for me, I think :)

On 6/16/2020 at 4:39 PM, Asaki said:

I'm in West Michigan; that's just a tiny bit too much of a road trip for me, I think :)

On 6/18/2020 at 2:11 PM, Mehridian Sanders said:

hmm ok lemme see how I can do shipping on this... 

If this doesn't work out I have a Monitor III in Detroit.  Working.

Edited by cwilkson
  • Like 1

The apple //e was the first computer in the house, circa 1986. Back in the days computers weren't very popular, particular in Italy! My mom was a math teacher and she was so impressed by the Apple they bought at school that she wanted one for home!

I was about 7-8 years old then. When the computer arrived it was put together and after a while my older brother was allowed to play "Apple presents Apple". When my turn came it was a bit late and I was told I could try the following day. I threw a massive tantrum and so I was allowed to play that night!

I learnt my first things on that Apple //e - unfortunately by the time I had grown up a bit, the Apple was already obsolete and most of my friends had the C64. When I was 11 I managed to upgrade it to 64K/80col to run AppleWorks. We also bought the printer! There is when I learnt to type faster on a computer keyboard.

I had my first PC in 1992 so we gave the Apple away. Just recently I acquired a used one which needs some TLC. It brings up so many nice memories!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Tony359 said:

The apple //e was the first computer in the house, circa 1986. Back in the days computers weren't very popular, particular in Italy! My mom was a math teacher and she was so impressed by the Apple they bought at school that she wanted one for home!

I was about 7-8 years old then. When the computer arrived it was put together and after a while my older brother was allowed to play "Apple presents Apple". When my turn came it was a bit late and I was told I could try the following day. I threw a massive tantrum and so I was allowed to play that night!

I learnt my first things on that Apple //e - unfortunately by the time I had grown up a bit, the Apple was already obsolete and most of my friends had the C64. When I was 11 I managed to upgrade it to 64K/80col to run AppleWorks. We also bought the printer! There is when I learnt to type faster on a computer keyboard.

I had my first PC in 1992 so we gave the Apple away. Just recently I acquired a used one which needs some TLC. It brings up so many nice memories!

I actually started on a Kaypro II and then my father purchased a C64, I distinctly remember playing Transylvania, Realms of Impossibility, and Bard's Tale ]|[. Later I saved up and bought the Atari 2600 and we traded that in later and got the 7800.

I have not cleaned up the ][e yet as there have been more pressing matters at home. 

On 6/21/2020 at 4:52 AM, cwilkson said:

If this doesn't work out I have a Monitor III in Detroit.  Working.

This might be a better option for you. Shipping for this to Michigan would be .... unspeakable.

• 1 month later...

I guess I'm one of the old coggers here. Back in 1980, when I was in the Air Force, I got stationed in Southern California, at George AFB, about 90 miles from home. A high school friend of mine that was in the Navy had a TRS-80. He convinced me to buy one and I played several games on it that came on cassette tape. In 1981 another friend told me about a computer store that had a sale going on the Apple ][+. I went and bought it and a disk drive and several games. I couldn't afford to buy a monitor so got an rf modulator and used my small color tv as a monitor.

Eventually worked my way up to a GS which I ended up killing the motherboard on, so just tossed all my ][ games and hardware (stupid move I know). I had a Mac so I was content with it. In fact found Apple ][ emulation and downloaded and played the old stuff that way. In 2005 went to an estate auction an picked up an Apple //e system for $5. Currently have a GS (with 8 MB of ram), a CFA3K, 2 Disk ][ drives and 2 3.5 drives. Also have a //c+.

Glad to be back in the Apple // world with real hardware again.

• Like 2