IGNORED

Early version of James Bond 007 for the 5200 found and released!

Dutchman2000

1 minute ago, Foxsolo2000 said:

"While the Octopussy version was still being playtested and refined" - Does this confirm that the train James Bond shown on so many ads actually exist?

We only know that the Octopussy version was being done by one of Parker Brother's subcontractors.  PB decided they wanted a parallax scroller game instead so development on the other version was most likely cancelled. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Dutchman2000 said:

We only know that the Octopussy version was being done by one of Parker Brother's subcontractors.  PB decided they wanted a parallax scroller game instead so development on the other version was most likely cancelled. 

Thought that might be the case.  Thanks for clarifying.  Still there is a possibility one of the programmers may have taken it home.  Got to live in hope.

11 minutes ago, Foxsolo2000 said:

"While the Octopussy version was still being playtested and refined" - Does this confirm that the train James Bond shown on so many ads actually exist?

It was seen by people at at least one CES show so it did exist at one point.  Whether or not it exists now is anyone's guess.

Also, when Parker Brothers contacted the developer to cancel the project, they likely would have kept the w.i.p. just in case it might possibly be repurposed sometime in the future into another game for another company. So that is also a possibility.

Care Bears was way less far along, and it still managed to survive.

i think Octopussy is in the same category as Ewok Adventure and Journey to Rivendell. A fully playable and pretty much completed game.

Incredible Hulk was also most likely playable.

The one that is the biggest mystery and likely the least completed, would be Circus Charlie. Anyone know anything about this one? I know we have the box for it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/8/2020 at 7:39 PM, Supergun said:

i think Octopussy is in the same category as Ewok Adventure and Journey to Rivendell. A fully playable and pretty much completed game.

The Octopussy version was supposedly in development at Western Technologies but the problem is that despite speaking with numerous designers and programmers who worked there, I can't find a single one who worked on this title or even remembers anyone else working on it.  This would seem unusual for a game nearing completion.

Incredible Hulk was also most likely playable.

Hulk had an approved game design and was at least started but is not known to have progressed beyond an elaborate title screen.  Although it's certainly possible that it could've progressed further and it is rumored to have been playable, this has never been confirmed.

The one that is the biggest mystery and likely the least completed, would be Circus Charlie. Anyone know anything about this one? I know we have the box for it.

The Commodore 64 version was completed or nearly so and was eventually released by Konami a few years later.  The other ports are known to have been started and their degrees of completion are not known, but I tend to think they were fairly well along in development.  The problem here is that the subcontractor who was working on these ports is unknown (at least to me).