IGNORED

Alternate Reality: The Dungeon Atarimax cartridge.

Wilheim

1 minute ago, Wilheim said:

New version.

Added disk access to save your character as well as the transfer of a City character. It tests if a drive is present in D1:. If not, it uses the virtual drives D2: and D4:

I'm not sure if it completely works, so I will appreciate your testing and comments.

Alternate Reality - The Dungeon.atr 714.39 kB · 1 download Alternate Reality - The Dungeon.bin 1 MB · 1 download Alternate Reality - The Dungeon.car 1 MB · 1 download

Does this one use SIOV so I can have a hard disk ATR image mounted with the Loader, or is it physical SIO port drive only?

13 minutes ago, Kyle22 said:

Does this one use SIOV so I can have a hard disk ATR image mounted with the Loader, or is it physical SIO port drive only?

Only floppy disk. It stills uses low level access. Using SIOV means a complete rewriting, specially because the Dungeon uses $300-$30F, $30-$3f and many other standard address used by the OS.

Besides, I’m not sure if the hard drive access uses the $cc00- $cfff area. If that is the case, then we’ll have a conflict with the cartridge loader.

• Like 1

Shame on me! I made unintentionally two bugs in the previous version. Now they are fixed.

The game will search on D1: first if there is a Dungeon character disk (or a City one when you want to transfer). In the case there is no disk, or the disk is not a character one, then goes to the virtual D2:, that is, the cartridge.

Please take note that once you save your character on a floppy disk, you won't be able to save it onto the cartridge. That is a protection the game had. It's like you change your character disk to another one. The game will not allow it.

Before submitting this post, I was able to patch the format routine. It first checks if there is a floppy disk to format. In case there's an error, or no disk is present, it will format the cartridge.

I feel that the conversion is getting better, thanks to your feedback.

Alternate Reality - The Dungeon.atr Alternate Reality - The Dungeon.bin Alternate Reality - The Dungeon.car

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Rybags said:

No City character transfer?  That's a big loss.

Can you load characters from floppy, so transfer by other means then use the save disk?

In post #50 you can download the latest version so far, that has the feature you ask.

11 hours ago, Wilheim said:

Shame on me! I made unintentionally two bugs in the previous version. Now they are fixed.

The game will search on D1: first if there is a Dungeon character disk (or a City one when you want to transfer). In the case there is no disk, or the disk is not a character one, then goes to the virtual D2:, that is, the cartridge.

Please take note that once you save your character on a floppy disk, you won't be able to save it onto the cartridge. That is a protection the game had. It's like you change your character disk to another one. The game will not allow it.

Before submitting this post, I was able to patch the format routine. It first checks if there is a floppy disk to format. In case there's an error, or no disk is present, it will format the cartridge.

I feel that the conversion is getting better, thanks to your feedback.

Alternate Reality - The Dungeon.atr 714.39 kB · 12 downloads Alternate Reality - The Dungeon.bin 1 MB · 13 downloads Alternate Reality - The Dungeon.car 1 MB · 17 downloads

Oddly, this version is crashing on 800 / Incognito (on XL-XE r04/r04 OS versions). IT does NOT crash when booting with QMeg-404 OS...

THe problem resembles very closely Incognito's defect / bug when handling GINTLK / TRIG3 values and running OS's cart-equivalence check.

Could you please, confirm that NO values of any kind are being written to locations $03FA (GINTLK) and $D013? (TRIG3)? This would allow us to isolate or discard this issue...

THANKS

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wrathchild said:

@Faicuai Not enough details in your report. At what point do you experience this? Use of the O/S is done away with during the boot-loading so GINTLK / TRIG3 shouldn't be involved here.

The crash occurs right at the initial credits-screen. It DID NOT occur with prior versions.

Please, make sure that Page-3 is NOT being deliberately cleaned, erased, or overwritten, specifically location $03FA.

If that location's value is NEVER touched, we either have a new problem with Incognito, OR, a problem with the my cart-platform (Ultimate/SD). 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

The crash occurs right at the initial credits-screen. It DID NOT occur with prior versions.

Please, make sure that Page-3 is NOT being deliberately cleaned, erased, or overwritten, specifically location $03FA.

If that location's value is NEVER touched, we either have a new problem with Incognito, OR, a problem with the my cart-platform (Ultimate/SD). 

I’ll take a look at it as soon as I get back from work.

• Like 1

New version.

Features:

- Some bug fixes.

- Optimized access to D1:. Using PUT command instead of WRITE. It saves the character faster on the floppy disk.

@Faicuai Would you try this image again with your Incognito configuration? I don't have that modification, so I'm guessing what could be the issue.

Please let me know for any feedback you have.

Alternate Reality - The Dungeon V8.car Alternate Reality - The Dungeon V8.atr Alternate Reality - The Dungeon V8.bin

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Wrathchild said:

The recommendation of using GIT was that you'd keep updating and commit the same named files. You are just deleting everything and putting up the new versions with different names which defeats the purpose?

Ok. I reinstalled Eclipse and WUDSN plugin to get the GitHub utilities. The truth is it's the first time using this and I'm still learning using GitHub.

I've recently done a Commit for all versions. Can you see them?

Regards!

6 hours ago, Wilheim said:

New version.

Features:

- Some bug fixes.

- Optimized access to D1:. Using PUT command instead of WRITE. It saves the character faster on the floppy disk.

@Faicuai Would you try this image again with your Incognito configuration? I don't have that modification, so I'm guessing what could be the issue.

Please let me know for any feedback you have.

Alternate Reality - The Dungeon V8.car 1 MB · 13 downloads Alternate Reality - The Dungeon V8.atr 714.39 kB · 13 downloads Alternate Reality - The Dungeon V8.bin 1 MB · 14 downloads

v8 is working on Incognito and XL/XE OS loads!!! 

The problem experienced on v7 has been mitigated.

(NOTES:

1. v7 has code that directly manipulates TRIG3 ($D013) and GINTLK ($03FA) at rom-file offset 0218h, and then at 0230h.
  2. What is interesting is that v8 DOES have 0218h code present, but 0230h has been removed... 
  3. If, in the future, it is absolutely necessary to manipulate / equate values read from $D013 into $03FA, and we want to make sure things run on Incognito/800, Antic-DMA has to be shut down first, prior to any GINTLK ($03FA) writing. 
  4. The above is due to a significant bug on Incognito (on XL/XE mode), in which reads from $D013 produce a range of floating-bus data if ANTIC is on, and $D0 if Antic is OFF, all of which are DIFFERENT than official XL/XE OS values for this register (O or 1). It is an incompatibility.

Cheers!

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Faicuai said:

v8 is working on Incognito and XL/XE OS loads!!! 

The problem experienced on v7 has been mitigated.

(NOTES:

1. v7 has code that directly manipulates TRIG3 ($D013) and GINTLK ($03FA) at rom-file offset 0218h, and then at 0230h.
  2. What is interesting is that v8 DOES have 0218h code present, but 0230h has been removed... 
  3. If, in the future, it is absolutely necessary to manipulate / equate values read from $D013 into $03FA, and we want to make sure things run on Incognito/800, Antic-DMA has to be shut down first, prior to any GINTLK ($03FA) writing. 
  4. The above is due to a significant bug on Incognito (on XL/XE mode), in which reads from $D013 produce a range of floating-bus data if ANTIC is on, and $D0 if Antic is OFF, all of which are DIFFERENT than official XL/XE OS values for this register (O or 1). It is an incompatibility.

Cheers!

Great! Glad to know it's been fixed.

The GINTLK writing is still present, this time at 0236h on the V8 rom. I think that the problem was because I wrote GINTLK right after turning off the cartridge without disabling NMIs, so to save some bytes at the $480 RAM zone. The LDA and STA instructions just takes 6 cpu cycles, so I thought that it won't be a problem, because I tested time after time in stock XL/XE computers. But looks like that in your Incognito configuration, the VBI just begins in the middle of this 6 cycles. That's what I guessed.

To solve it, I decided then to turn off the NMIs, then turn the cartridge off, write TRIG3 to GINTLK, and enabling NMIs again. It takes 10 additional bytes, but I think it's worth to do that way.

Just as an anecdote, let me tell you that the Dungeon skips the OS VB interrupt, so there's no need to update GINTLK during the game.

I think that another way to prevent the hang up is by making a VB inmediate interrupt that takes TRIG3 and write it into GINTLK. That way, when the OS VBI begins, it will always have the same value every frame. I did this in the cartridge dumper I recently published.

Just to let you know, the GINTLK writing is used on two ocassions: the first one is when it exits to boot the disk or cassette, and the second one when it starts the init routine at $480 right after the credits title.

@Faicuai, by the way, could you try to dump the cartridge content with that dumper? I want to see if it's possible with Incognito.

On the other hand, I would like if someone can test a City character transfer, specially one who is at a Dungeon entrance. I want to check that everything is working fine. I tested with newly created characters, but I'm not sure if it keeps the inventory, money, battle gear, etc.

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Im pretty sure the Dungeon strips alot of stuff from a City character during the conversion process.  It didnt let you bring a god like character down so you could lay waste to the Dungeon right away IIRC.

Having said that some stuff did carry down but I cant tell you what.

• Like 1

Charming was replaced by Bluffing. Tricking was still allowed.  You have to get to the "Transact" sub-menu to see them.  If I recall correctly only 16 potions will transfer from the City to the dungeon.  I'm sure the dungeon manual is scanned and posted on the web.

Bob

• Like 1