IGNORED

U1MB Dead After Firmware Update

mattsoft

2 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

What is REALLY most ironic is that, having these tools and upgrades going for quite a while, already, there does not seem to be an active database with users' card types-and-models that have successfully worked, and have been posted here, on any of the BIOS threads (at least none that I recall or have seen).

Observed and discussed in post #45.

3 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

That is not just easy to do, but could be encouraged so everyone participates. Actual time spent of development being matched with actual time spent on testing is always very productive, positive feedback-loop... which will invariably yield in product improvement, for everyone's benefit.

Someone with the right management skills needs to get a helicopter view of the problem and start looking under the bonnet. Put a record on and see who dances.

• Haha 1

I bought my two-bit USB card reader ten years ago and it takes all of my CF cards without any problems. 64MB, 128MB up to the same 8GB Kingston card that was shown in this thread before. Why is it that MyIDEII and SIDE2 are so picky about which cards they support?

• Like 1

On 6/30/2020 at 10:16 PM, ivop said:

Why is it that MyIDEII and SIDE2 are so picky about which cards they support?

This is a genuine question. I believe it's the delayed phi2 during writes if there's too much bus capacitance for which both carts don't have any mitigation as far as I know. If it's unstable, you can try to replace your 74LS08 for a 74F08. Solder thick jumper wires to extra ground your cartridge port, et cetera. Both FJC and Mr. Atari do their best to do as much verifictation during I/O in software, but I still have the occasional ❤️ in filenames when I do DIR or A after I have copied over 50 MIDI files. I always delete that file with wildcards and then copy it again. But what about the actual contents of the files?

If I recall correctly, it was @HiassofT that designed a "phi2 shortener during writes". It was an LS123 with a capacitor and a resistor, whose values determine the length of the pulse since going up. Perhaps a small pass-through cartridge could be created that shortens phi2 during writes ;)

Edited by ivop
  • Like 1

On 6/30/2020 at 5:53 PM, leech said:

Might also be combining some features of the SIDE3 with DMA vs the SIDE2.

DMA will never find its way onto the SIDE2 owing to the fact there is no SRAM on the cartridge. DMA operations are only possible on SIDE3 when IO targets the built-in SRAM on the cartridge. Still very useful, though, since it permits the loading of a 1MB cartridge image in 1s or so.

In any case: I have just PM'd you a test version of the U1MB SIDE loader without the PIO Mode 3 change introduced in version 3.10. Please flash to the loader slot of the U1MB ONLY, and after first updating to the v.3.10 firmware again. If it improves things, I will consider undoing this change across the board, or perhaps making PIO Mode 3 optional. Having said that, I don't want to pre-emptively blame PIO Mode 3 with any degree of conviction, since it may turn out that it makes no difference at all and was in fact the positive change it was intended to be. If this test loader doesn't fix your issue, then I'm afraid we're in witch-doctor territory and you might as well use a different CF card or purchase a CF/SD adapter and an inexpensive SD card.

Please let me know how you get on. Thanks in advance. :)

7 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

DMA will never find its way onto the SIDE2 owing to the fact there is no SRAM on the cartridge. DMA operations are only possible on SIDE3 when IO targets the built-in SRAM on the cartridge. Still very useful, though, since it permits the loading of a 1MB cartridge image in 1s or so.

In any case: I have just PM'd you a test version of the U1MB SIDE loader without the PIO Mode 3 change introduced in version 3.10. Please flash to the loader slot of the U1MB ONLY, and after first updating to the v.3.10 firmware again. If it improves things, I will consider undoing this change across the board, or perhaps making PIO Mode 3 optional. Having said that, I don't want to pre-emptively blame PIO Mode 3 with any degree of conviction, since it may turn out that it makes no difference at all and was in fact the positive change it was intended to be. If this test loader doesn't fix your issue, then I'm afraid we're in witch-doctor territory and you might as well use a different CF card or purchase a CF/SD adapter and an inexpensive SD card.

Please let me know how you get on. Thanks in advance. :)

Yeah, I just meant the original poster was confusing features of the 3 with the 2 (talking about faster I/O).  Looking forward to seeing crafty things done with those speeds.  Might be easier to make a seemless experience with AR / Ultima, if we could figure out either how to fix multi-drive support, or some sort of auto switch.

Though maybe I am asking for some weird ritual involving goats for that to happen.  ?

Considering the largest piece of software for the 8bit is probably pushing 2mb max, having that all load in less than 2 seconds would be sweet!

3 minutes ago, leech said:

Yeah, I just meant the original poster was confusing features of the 3 with the 2 (talking about faster I/O).

Oh sorry - I misunderstood. But yes: quite. :)

The SRAM on the cartridge is versatile in itself, since we will finally be able provide some kind of perfunctory ATR support when U1MB is not present.

• Like 2

I purchased a SanDisk Ultra 4GB CF card -- the same make and model that flashjazzcat had success with and posted about in another thread -- and it works perfectly with the 3.10 firmware on the SIDE2. For whatever reason, the old Verbatim 2GB CF card I had running fine on the OG SIDE2 firmware, either does not like the new 3.10 firmware or happened to go bad at the same time as I was upgrading the firmware. Either way, I am happy to report the SanDisk works perfect and my 800XL is now rocking the U1MB with SIDE2 loader. What a combo! Thanks to flashjazzcat for the awesome firmware and help along the way!

• 2 years later...
4 minutes ago, rcamp48 said:

I flashed my U1MB and now it does not work

It's unclear to me what you flashed to it, but it's unlikely that the CPLD will need reprogramming as a result. You need a TL866 or similar to reprogram the PLCC flash ROM (although there is a workaround using a MaxFlash cartridge, if anyone has the energy to explain it).

I had this before and got me one of these which has the socket adapter for the chip and unbricked it :

TL866Ⅱ Plus Programmer USB EPROM FLASH BIOS Programmable Logic Circuits 6 Adapters Socket Extractor for 15000 IC

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CDD9PGT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then see here:

12 hours ago, Bee said:

my suggestion is if you do much tinkering - goto TL866 USB EPROM programmer. It just keeps popping up as a swiss army knife for bits and pieces for me. Well worth the investment.

I just ordered one it should be in today, and I have ordered 4 9 Pin male gender bender connectors for my 850 interface which came in yesterday. anyways I agree with you its a good investment.

• Like 1

OK I am having problems , the information that is supposed to be written to the chip keeps changing on verify, could I be doing something wrong? The socket that I am using is a PLCC 32-EP1M that's the only socket adapter that I have its green board with a brown socket, I have the chip in right but it refuses to write properly, however it does read perfectly. also I get a Chip ID error when programming the chip. I verified the chip it is an SST chip the number that is listed in the documents.

On 9/8/2022 at 2:55 PM, flashjazzcat said:

It's unclear to me what you flashed to it, but it's unlikely that the CPLD will need reprogramming as a result. You need a TL866 or similar to reprogram the PLCC flash ROM (although there is a workaround using a MaxFlash cartridge, if anyone has the energy to explain it).

I am having problems, error on chiip ID does that mean that the chip is not seated right?