IGNORED

AT-Speed on STE

Hi folks,

I just got my hands on an AT-Speed 286 emulator card. I read quickly through the installation instructions and it sounds like I just need to solder the board and piggy back it on the 68000 of an ST.

The instructions were referring to the 520ST, STF and Mega ST models. But my main ST machine is my Mega STE. I guess the 16MHz of the MegaSTE clock is not going to go down well with this  AT-Speed board, but if I change the clock to 8MHz through an accessory, would it work? Most importantly, is this dangerous for the board as most of the time it will be getting 16MHz on a pin that is expecting 8? Has anybody tried this combination, and did it work? Maybe it can even overclock the 286 on the AT-Speed ? But I don't want to risk it. 

I also have an STE that is my second best option. Anyone tried it on the STE?

Thanks!

I did a bit more research on the overclocking side of the world... The CPU on the AT-Speed that I have is a Siemens S 2140787, and according to this website: http://www.cpu-collection.de/?tn=0&l0=cl&l1=80286&l2=Siemens its core and FSB frequencies are rated at 10MHz. Now, we know that manufacturers rate lower than what the chips can sustain, but I have serious doubts about the stability of this board at 16MHz...

But the other questions remain: will it work at 8MHz (and not get damaged when clocked 16MHz?) and if not, has anyone confirmed (or not) it works with an STE?

• Like 1

There's an adapter board to interface between the PLCC socket and the DIL socket.

However that may be hard to get and can cause contact problems.

I have to reseat mine every once in a while.

So yes, it will function just fine in the MegaSTE, also if that's run at 16Mhz.

The 80286 has it's own clock....

BR/

Guus

11 hours ago, snarkdluG said:

How are you going to mount it? The Mega STe or STe don't have a 64 pin DIL sockret. It is a plcc chip. 

Yeah, as @guus.assmann mentioned I was hoping there is such an adapter.

@guus.assmann do you have the schematics for the AT-Speed and figured out that the 286 has its own clock? Can you confirm please if you have actually done this? 

Can anybody recommend an adapter that works well? I really would like to avoid to re-open the MSTE and resitting the adapter. once in a while..

Hello,

I own a Mega STE with an AT-Speed in it. It does contain a 286 and also has a Chrystal on the PCB. (32Mhz is engraved)

And the Atari does run at 16Mhz.

Also, there does exist an adapter from the PLCC 68000 to a Dip 64 socket that's specially made for an 286 PCB.

I don't have the schematics for either card.

The Adapter I've just seen is made by GE-Soft.

My Mega STE works well, until I move it between rooms.

As long as I don't do that and let it sit in it's own place, it's working happily.

BR/

Guus

Edited by guus.assmann
Typo in text.

10 minutes ago, guus.assmann said:

Hello,

I own a Mega STE with an AT-Speed in it. It does contain a 286 and also has a Chrystal on the PCB. (32Mhz is engraved)...

But isn't that the AT-Speed C16? Does it have socket for FPU? The AT-Speed is a simpler one and it doesn't look like it is has clock on the board. So it probably use the system clock.

Hello,

Yes, you're right that there's a difference.

I'm not sure if the "simpler" version will work. Maybe some specs can be found for the board? (Or the readme file with the software)

Both the one in my Mega STE and the one that's not mounted do have an FPU socket.

And I also have 1 without the FPU socket. That one is also not mounted.

BR/

Guus

Ok! So it seems like I have the "lite" at-speed... it doesn't have neither an fpu socket nor a crystal... see the attached picture...

So I guess back to square 1 for me since I don't know if my version will work on an mste...

I don't trust much the documentation that came with it, in many places it was referring to pc-speed and not at-speed. Pc-speed for those who are not familiar is the 8086 version of the emulator. 

20200610_120101.jpg

5 hours ago, larrylaffer said:

According to this, it does... but I haven't installed it yet, so cannot confirm our not... maybe @guus.assmann can tell us...

They talk about Windows 3.0.

It would be surprising that Win3.0 doesn't run as I've been able to install it on the Supercharger Emulator (XT 1MB emulator).

Guillaume.

8 hours ago, moulinaie said:

They talk about Windows 3.0.

It would be surprising that Win3.0 doesn't run as I've been able to install it on the Supercharger Emulator (XT 1MB emulator).

Guillaume.

Two thoughts/questions:

1. What is so fundamentally different between win 3.0 and win 3.1 that a 286 could run the first but not the second?

2. Could it be that the at-speed board was produced and sold before win 3.1 were released?

18 minutes ago, larrylaffer said:

Two thoughts/questions:

1. What is so fundamentally different between win 3.0 and win 3.1 that a 286 could run the first but not the second?

2. Could it be that the at-speed board was produced and sold before win 3.1 were released?

Dont ask me why this popped into my brain when reading this but I believe Win 3.1 required some sort of memory mgmt capability built into the 386 and not available in the 286.  I could be 150% wrong on this though :)

16 minutes ago, Goochman said:

Dont ask me why this popped into my brain when reading this but I believe Win 3.1 required some sort of memory mgmt capability built into the 386 and not available in the 286.  I could be 150% wrong on this though :)

I understand where you are coming from ? (most probably thinking of memory protection which 286 has) but I have win 3.11 (which is 3.1 + networking support) on another 286 based emulator board. 

2 minutes ago, larrylaffer said:

I understand where you are coming from ? (most probably thinking of memory protection which 286 has) but I have win 3.11 (which is 3.1 + networking support) on another 286 based emulator board. 

Yup it must've been the 286 :) - I think you can get the 3.1 disks on the internet these days - maybe worth trying for someone with their AD-Speed 286 setup.

19 minutes ago, Goochman said:

Yup it must've been the 286 :) - I think you can get the 3.1 disks on the internet these days - maybe worth trying for someone with their AD-Speed 286 setup.

From documentation and the article I posted above it seems like there is good mouse and video card support. I am curious about sound, but for sure running win 3.1 will be one of the first things I will try when I get things up and running...