IGNORED

Bluetooth to 7800

RevEng

The 8Bitdo Bluetooth Receiver for MegaDrive/Genesis is a nice little adapter that allows bluetooth controllers (Xbox One S/X Bluetooth controllers, DS4, DS3, Switch Pro, JoyCons (including NES and FC versions), Wii U Pro, Wii remote, as well as all 8BitDo Bluetooth controllers) to the Sega Genesis.

The same $15 adapter can be modded with a single jumper wire for genesis-two-button operation on the 2600, or even better, it can be used out of the box with Seagull78 for Bluetooth to 7800 operation.

For more info, check out my Bluetooth to 2600 thread. There's also a nice video by ave1 demoing the adapter.

[end transmission]

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Yep, that's it exactly. At the current price it's a pretty cheap way to leverage controllers you likely already own, or can get cheaply.

The fact that it's on sale *and* a very niche product makes me think they may discontinue them soonish, so anyone interested should probably pick them up sooner rather than later. I ordered a second adapter yesterday for that reason, even though I'm a sad old man with no friends to play atari with. ?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, RevEng said:

Yep, that's it exactly. At the current price it's a pretty cheap way to leverage controllers you likely already own, or can get cheaply.

The fact that it's on sale *and* a very niche product makes me think they may discontinue them soonish, so anyone interested should probably pick them up sooner rather than later. I ordered a second adapter yesterday for that reason, even though I'm a sad old man with no friends to play atari with. ?

Missing out on a product because of delaying purchase and/or becomes discontinued and then regretting it, has happened to me at least a half dozen times in my life when it comes to this hobby.

Not this time.  Amazon Prime, ordered two with free shipping.  They will be here by Thursday.

While not ready for the old moniker, I'll concede to sad with no friends interested in playing Atari with me. :-D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Looks like the Seagull 78 adapter is out of stock, though.  Was this already the case, or did it happen because of the mini run on the product from this discovery?

I still got the Bluetooth reciever in hopes that I can make use of it eventually, though.

Thanks for the "thanks" guys!

18 minutes ago, Karl G said:

Looks like the Seagull 78 adapter is out of stock, though.  Was this already the case, or did it happen because of the mini run on the product from this discovery?

I'm not sure. I didn't notice that they were out of stock when I linked them in my parent post, but the Seagull 78 adapters have been temporarily out of stock before. He builds them in batches. ( @edladdin , any plans for more seagulls?)

So i can play a wii u pro controller on the 7800 with this adapter? 

What would I need to do to the bt adapter for it to work with 2 button 7800?

Might be interested as not wanting to drop another 100 or more on a seagull 78 and this with shipping. Before you chime in with 100 dollars no way I am in Canada so shipping x3 and 25% on the product. 

Edited by Jinks

Check out amazon.ca. As of right now, you can get them new for $25.99 less $3 coupon (CDN), or used for $18. Both are fufulled by amazon, so you can get free shipping with prime or if you spend more than $35.

The Wii U pro controller works with the adapter, according to the manufacturer. Since the pro controller is basically a wiimote with different form-factor, and I've been using a wiimote (chinese clone, actually) without issue, I believe it.

Yes, to make it work properly with the 7800 in two-button mode, you need to use a Seagull 78. You can skip the Seagull 78 if you just want "genesis on 2600" type compatibility, with my mod. I'd recommend the Seagull though, as "genesis on 2600" doesn't work with a lot of 7800 games.

3 hours ago, RevEng said:

, even though I'm a sad old man with no friends to play atari with. ?

2 hours ago, Trebor said:

While not ready for the old moniker, I'll concede to sad with no friends interested in playing Atari with me. :-D

We have to figure out a way to all get together for a game night.

My wife’s latest fav is Assembloids and she does play Froggie and Centipede Trak-Ball with me. My older son stops by and plays quite a bit. He’s into Atari. ?

• Like 2

That sucks. The seagull is not available it says online  Correction Atariage sells them now. at 25usd shipping probably 15usd so 50 bucks Canadian. . I can not get free shipping on Amazon as not in a major city so an extra 5 bucks to get on the 17th. Around 30 Canadian shipped for 2600 only one button for the 8bitdo. So 80 canadian for one controller to do 7800 bluetooth. Cheaper than my 100 estimate but still a little out of my price range. a good deal if you just play 2600 games. 

Edited by Jinks

I lost my bluetooth adapter.  I need a new one.  I've done this (with the Seagull 78), and it works like a friggin' charm!

8bitdo makes probably the best gaming controllers out of any major-ish brand.  I have five of their products, and I do not regret a single purchase!

• Like 3

On 6/7/2020 at 1:00 PM, Karl G said:

I still got the Bluetooth reciever in hopes that I can make use of it eventually, though.

I got a reply from an email query, and he says there will be more in a couple of weeks.  W00t!

• Like 3

On 6/7/2020 at 3:17 PM, Jinks said:

That sucks. The seagull is not available it says online  Correction Atariage sells them now. at 25usd shipping probably 15usd so 50 bucks Canadian. . I can not get free shipping on Amazon as not in a major city so an extra 5 bucks to get on the 17th. Around 30 Canadian shipped for 2600 only one button for the 8bitdo. So 80 canadian for one controller to do 7800 bluetooth. Cheaper than my 100 estimate but still a little out of my price range. a good deal if you just play 2600 games. 

No it was 25 plus shipping for me so 32 something total.

I don't presently have a seagull, but theory suggests "no". When 8bitdo is plugged into the seagull, it should be functionally equivalent to a regular 7800 two-button controller, and those don't work with games that read two-button genesis controllers.

Seagull might be able to work with a wire-moded  8Bitdo adapter, given it only reads the B+C buttons. If that's true, you could do the mod, and direct plug 8bitdo for two-button genesis games, and plug it into the seagull for regular 7800 two-button mode.

• Thanks 1

Received my bluetooth dongles the other day. After downloading the program to pair up with my PS3 controllers, works like a charm! Plugged into the Seagull78 of course, 2 button 7800 action on a PS3 controller is sweet. And both the direction pad and analog thumbstick work too - bonus!  :)

Haven't tried it yet, but seeing how the +5v line (pin 7) is the same between the Amiga and Atari systems, bet these will work on my Amiga stuff as well. C64 too, but remember reading that pressing the second button may not be good for the system.  

• Like 3