IGNORED

Bluetooth to 7800

RevEng

I got my Seagull78 adapters today, and got these to work with my rarely-used retro NES-style Switch joycons. It works great, and I'm quite happy with the setup!

Just as a note, I had to update my receivers to the latest firmware version before they would pair with the controllers. I had issues getting the Mac firmware updaters to work, so I had to do the update from a Windows VM.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Just a heads up that there's a new USB/Bluettooth controller adapter being worked on. It's based on Raspberry Pi zero, and the software will be open source. There's a proof of concept running, and it already includes support for the 7800. (2600, 5200, etc.)

While it's early days yet, this will go beyond what the 8bitdo adapter is capable of. Dual sticks, no problem. Controller mashups, no problem. Emulation of rarer controllers, no problem.

If this is the sort of thing you're interested in, follow the link, vote in the poll, maybe make a comment.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I just wanted to note that the combination of:

Seagull 78 Controller Adapter ($25 USD)

+

Retro Receiver for SEGA Genesis & Mega Drive ($20 USD, but often on sale for less)

+

N30 Bluetooth® controller for Switch Online ($25 USD, although bit hard to find right now)

... works great on my Atari 7800. It's an NES-style gamepad that is small and light, A/B fire buttons work with two-button 7800 games, and it's nice where mashing a fire button can produce a volley of shots using the turbo A/B buttons. The only hassle is restoring the Bluetooth connection after powering the 7800 on/off to change games, as the fastest way to reconnect wirelessly is about 5 seconds where you turn the N30 gamepad off (hold "start") and then on again (press "start").

IMG_0672.thumb.jpg.5996b1a6482ce3d2bf685c2b73eee1d1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was able to get the new 8bitdo Arcade Stick that I bought to use with my Nintendo Switch to work with the Seagull 78 and Retro Receiver on my 7800. I also replaced the guts of the arcade stick with an upgraded Sanwa joystick and Ultimarc concave gold leaf buttons. Had to solder a 5-pin harness onto the board for the Sanwa but it was pretty simple to do. The arcade style buttons were a tight fit and tricky to get in there, but with some time and patience, I was able to get everything to fit. Anyway, it's great! When you pair it, it has to be in Switch mode.

I suppose if you had your own homemade controller enclosure, I don't see why you could not use the boards out of the arcade stick and put them into something else. 

IMG_3860.jpg

IMG_3847.jpg