IGNORED

HSC 17 Round 11: 2020 ReVision

2020 ReVision

A round-up of 4 recently updated games to show some support for the people still putting some time into keeping our Ataris alive :thumbsup:

We've played a couple of them by Jon Williams last season and I reviewed them in the last Pro(c) Atari Magazine outlining a few issues and making some suggestions, and now he has made some updates (ok they weren't base on my suggestions!) :thumbsup: Plus Timeslip was an original English Sortware Co game. Also grevle has updated his Rocket Rescue which was already a good multi-level lunar lander style game so it will be interesting to see what is new there too.

Like I said I will not be around all the time so please post a table if there is a gap and a there are a few posts.

Round ends Sunday 21st June 2020 10am UK time

EVERYONE WELCOME TO PLAY - JUST POST YOUR SCORES AND SAY HELLO!

Update: Season 17 Current Standings 3rd place podium spot is under some serious contention :thumbsup:

Rocket Rescue 2020

rocket_rescue_2020.png.b3b8e73ef56f388a30336ec6aad420bf.png

Timeslip 2020

timeslip_2020.png.1398802abd70c845f4751e85a7335bf5.png

Baby Berks 2020

baby_berks_2020.png.dac72a7ffb8c7b94902bef6437cdb3d0.png

Major Blink 2020

major_blink_2020.png.2042fba18ab4f07941e09566dda2acef.png

• Like 1

I just played Timeslip 2020 and found it more difficult than the original because the movement has changed but other than that there are aspects of the game that are easier.

The original game was a bit too easy once you got the hang of it.

Playing on Expert - 753775. Finished it, but I was surprised it stopped as on the original you start again once you've completed it.

Edited by McKong
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, McKong said:

I just played Timeslip 2020 and found it more difficult than the original because the movement has changed but other than that there are aspects of the game that are easier.

The original game was a bit too easy once you got the hang of it.

Playing on Expert - 753775. Finished it, but I was surprised it stopped as on the original you start again once you've completed it.

Finished it already! Hopefully Mr Williams [&Grevle] will spot this thread so add any comments [everyone] to all the games. I was going to post we can extend the round if needed but I think the others are fairly quick to play. Rocket Rescue is the one I'm looking forward to seeing what is new, hopefully some new stages :ponder:

Yes deteached [just read your post at the same time] :thumbsup:

Baby Berks 2020 - 25650 pts
Major Blink 2020 - 168195 pts
Rocket Rescue 2020 - 330 pts
Timeslip 2020 - 218970 pts

All played on default settings. Out of those I only played Baby Berks and Major Blink before. I can't put my finger on what is different from before.

babyberks2020-25650.jpg.77e8f0ad2552ced12004417325e7945b.jpg

majorblink2020-168195.jpg.02b3ac67e10cd7027b44f329d358489f.jpg

rocketrescue2020-330.jpg.2f98e6f78f49f10c374e4e9cbbb31701.jpg

timeslip2020-218970.jpg.089bc3dd97487cc8bc564a5e89c55d8c.jpg

• Like 1

A couple new scores to post:

Timeslip:  470,295!  Finished it in normal mode.  

Rocket Rescue:  1,650!  Made it to mission 5, but actually failed mission 4.  Interesting that it lets you move on, even if you fail a mission.

Major Blink:  238,170!

Timeslip 470295.png

Rocket 1695.png

Major Blink 238170.png

Edited by Deteacher
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

Finished it already! Hopefully Mr Williams [&Grevle] will spot this thread so add any comments [everyone] to all the games. I was going to post we can extend the round if needed but I think the others are fairly quick to play. Rocket Rescue is the one I'm looking forward to seeing what is new, hopefully some new stages :ponder:

Yes deteached [just read your post at the same time] :thumbsup:

I played it quite a bit a few months ago, it's a shame it's too easy to complete. I was hoping that the 2020 revisions would make it more difficult.

The movement is now a bit out of whack for me. It tracks slower horizontally than vertically now whereas it used to feel more even. Anyway still a great game

891200 - Expert

It’s great to see the Updated games being played competitively - the scores show that I need more practice!

The 2020 versions came about after a request to convert Berks Four to the Atari 5200 console. I followed that with Major Blink and included some improvements that had been made for the recent C64 version. I then converted Baby Berks and Timeslip and thought I’d provide the 2020 updates as this allowed me to keep common source code for the two machines.

Baby Berks didn’t have too many changes, mainly balancing and bug fixing. The changes to the Timeslip movement came as an attempt to improve things for the 5200’s analog controllers. I felt it improved things for the A8 too in the restricted play zones. However, I appreciate that it takes a bit of getting used to. The main feedback I got from the original was that it was too hard to complete - it didn’t really lend itself to replaying. Looking at the scores, there’s a possibility I’ve made it too easy ;-)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Nojeee said:

It’s great to see the Updated games being played competitively - the scores show that I need more practice!

The 2020 versions came about after a request to convert Berks Four to the Atari 5200 console. I followed that with Major Blink and included some improvements that had been made for the recent C64 version. I then converted Baby Berks and Timeslip and thought I’d provide the 2020 updates as this allowed me to keep common source code for the two machines.

Baby Berks didn’t have too many changes, mainly balancing and bug fixing. The changes to the Timeslip movement came as an attempt to improve things for the 5200’s analog controllers. I felt it improved things for the A8 too in the restricted play zones. However, I appreciate that it takes a bit of getting used to. The main feedback I got from the original was that it was too hard to complete - it didn’t really lend itself to replaying. Looking at the scores, there’s a possibility I’ve made it too easy ;-)

I'm surprised that people thought that the original Timeslip was too hard to beat. With a bit of practice I was able to play through the game a few times before retiring.

Of course that's not now possible as the game finishes after the first run through. I think it's better that it finishes if the difficulty isn't going to ramp up on restart.

I've just played the original again and I think I prefer the movement on that one. For anyone who isn't familiar with the first game though, the movement in the new version will be fine.