image.thumb.png.f02856cb7c8b9f63fceea564f3241f80.png

All in all - very happy :D

• Like 3

On 8/14/2020 at 4:05 AM, CyranoJ said:

Reporting back now it is all set up:

a8 images working :)    [gw read --drive 0 --rpm 288 --revs=5 <filename>.scp]

ST images working :)   [gw read --drive 1 --rpm 300 --revs=5 <filename>.scp]

Hi Cj,

Please considering including one or two extra tracks. That means tracks 0-41 on 48tpi drives, and 0-81 on 96 tpi ones. Not sure about the default gw settings.

Also I don't recommend including the rpm parameter. I'm not that familiar with the gw software, but we don't want it to perform any kind of interpretation to the data. So it should not need the original recorded RPM value.

7 hours ago, ijor said:

Hi Cj,

Please considering including one or two extra tracks. That means tracks 0-41 on 48tpi drives, and 0-81 on 96 tpi ones. Not sure about the default gw settings.

Also I don't recommend including the rpm parameter. I'm not that familiar with the gw software, but we don't want it to perform any kind of interpretation to the data. So it should not need the original recorded RPM value.

Hi Ijor!

GW automatically does 0-41, 0-81 by default.

I've found without the -RPM value nothing can interpret the images it makes.

24 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

GW automatically does 0-41, 0-81 by default.

Good to know. Thanks

Are you sure? How it could work without the RPM parameter for Amiga images, but not for ST ones. Not sure that makes much sense. Would you mind posting an image produced without the RPM parameter?

1 minute ago, ijor said:

Good to know. Thanks

Are you sure? How it could work without the RPM parameter for Amiga images, but not for ST ones. Not sure that makes much sense. Would you mind posting an image produced without the RPM parameter?

Right now I can't as I was using an external PSU to power the floppies inside the case... however I've got some cables on order for SATA->Female MOLEX, when they arrive I can do so.  However, my ST disks are slighly... odd...  They're all 5.25" :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CyranoJ said:

However, my ST disks are slighly... odd...  They're all 5.25" :)

That's odd :)

Anyway, the RPM parameter should be avoided. It modifies and distorts the data, which is very bad for preservation purposes. Of course, if you are only extracting files from personals disks, then it doesn't matter. But even then, it shouldn't be needed. May be the gw software needs it if, and only if, you are using the gw software to interpret and to convert the dumps to plain sector level images (ATR, ST). If you are using more standard tools to perform the conversion from SCP images, such as a8rawconv for 8-bit images, then it should not be needed.

8 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

I have done a hundred of Atari single sided single density dumps lately without -RPM option on a panasonic JU-475 and all the SCP (and then ATX with A8rawconv) work perfectly.

So chances are that, if it does not work on your side, something else (another option?) is wrong but this -RPM is definitely NOT mandatory

On 8/20/2020 at 3:40 AM, ebiguy said:

I have done a hundred of Atari single sided single density dumps lately without -RPM option on a panasonic JU-475 and all the SCP (and then ATX with A8rawconv) work perfectly. So chances are that, if it does not work on your side, something else (another option?) is wrong but this -RPM is definitely NOT mandatory

Well, I was thinking...

a8rawconv doesn't need any kind of RPM compensation because it already expects the raw dump to be produced on a drive that has a different RPM than the one that the disk was recorded. That's the normal and common behavior. The disk was originally recorded at 288 RPM and the dump was read at either 300 or 360 RPM.

But other tools might not. It is actually likely that some ST don't expect that because you don't normally have that RPM discrepancy with 3.5 disks. Both PC and ST drives use 300 RPM disregarding the density. But he is using 5.5 disks and more than likely a 5.25 drive rotating at 360 RPM. So that might explain, at least, why he needed the -RPM parameter for ST disks.

• 5 months later...
On 8/14/2020 at 9:05 AM, CyranoJ said:

Reporting back now it is all set up:

a8 images working :)    [gw read --drive 0 --rpm 288 --revs=5 <filename>.scp]

image.thumb.png.3f3824229e0b9f56cfbc9c9d8ed3983c.png

ST images working :)   [gw read --drive 1 --rpm 300 --revs=5 <filename>.scp]

image.thumb.png.9cf219bd1f4ee2fbdee7dc3f4f50a988.png

Amiga images working :)   [gw read --revs=5 --drive 1 <filename>.scp]

image.thumb.png.f02856cb7c8b9f63fceea564f3241f80.png

All in all - very happy :D

So, you have a couple of GW? One for 3 1/2" and the other for 5 1/4"? Is it correct? Or you have only one, and flip between drives? Do you have an enclosure?

1 hour ago, gianlucarenzi said:

So, you have a couple of GW? One for 3 1/2" and the other for 5 1/4"? Is it correct? Or you have only one, and flip between drives? Do you have an enclosure?

One card, 3.5 and 5.25 on drive 0 and 1.  In an old HP desktop :)

17 hours ago, gianlucarenzi said:

May I have a picture? What drives have you got?

Don't know what exactly you expect to see from an old HP with 2 floppies in it, but here goes:
image.thumb.png.d30246687ae23cfa08c7005a542eb762.png

17 hours ago, gianlucarenzi said:

And for selecting drive 0 and 1 do you changed the ID on the drive electronic itself, or simpy of a flipping cable?

Twisted cable:

image.thumb.png.8a1f9b9448e10aba4e836170bf4aed80.png

3 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

Don't know what exactly you expect to see from an old HP with 2 floppies in it, but here goes:
image.thumb.png.d30246687ae23cfa08c7005a542eb762.png

Twisted cable:

image.thumb.png.8a1f9b9448e10aba4e836170bf4aed80.png

Thanks a lot mate. Is the 5.25" floppy drive a PC Standard One? It seems to have a special 40/80 track selection switch. Usually PC 360K 5.25" hadn't that switch. This is a Cumana Drive, quite common back-in-the-day. What about if I have only a 5.25" 1.2MB DSHD drive and wanted to write/read a SSSD 90K or SSED 180K disks? I know their rotation per minute should be 288 rpm and not 300 rpm nor 360 rpm as always found on those type of drive...

54 minutes ago, gianlucarenzi said:

Thanks a lot mate. Is the 5.25" floppy drive a PC Standard One? It seems to have a special 40/80 track selection switch. Usually PC 360K 5.25" hadn't that switch. This is a Cumana Drive, quite common back-in-the-day. What about if I have only a 5.25" 1.2MB DSHD drive and wanted to write/read a SSSD 90K or SSED 180K disks? I know their rotation per minute should be 288 rpm and not 300 rpm nor 360 rpm as always found on those type of drive...

No idea really, best to ask a greaseweazle expert :)