IGNORED

Stella 6.2 released

stephena

28 minutes ago, TwentySixHundred said:

I will also note that pitfall II isn't emulating correctly. I have used two different ROMs one of those from Rom Hunters latest pack. Both are showing the same garbled gfx, so im guessing it's an issue with Stella.

Confirmed, and a issue created at https://github.com/stella-emu/stella/issues/661.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

I will also note that pitfall II isn't emulating correctly. I have used two different ROMs one of those from Rom Hunters latest pack. Both are showing the same garbled gfx, so im guessing it's an issue with Stella.

Fixed in Github, and will be included in the 6.2.1 release (probably sometime next week).

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Air-Sea Battle crashes to desktop when selecting Bank 3E in 6.2. A silly thing to try, sure. But 3.9.3 gracefully gives a black screen and allows you to ESC back to the selector or <CTRL-Q> to exit completely.

Do you mean when you force it to use 3E bankswitching?

2 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Just not used to seeing Stella crash that's all.

I did some major refactoring of the bankswitching for 6.2. As it turned out, this did not pay enough attention to bad ROMs or settings. We have fixed this by now (6.2.1, fingers crossed).

30 minutes ago, stephena said:

For me, it enters the debugger with an "Invalid instruction" error, and offers to exit the ROM or continue.

On my Win 10 rig I sometimes got kicked to the debugger. Sometimes got "fried graphics" on the screen, well, like oldschool cart frying, and othertimes it just just exited. Nothing consistent.

My chances of getting kicked to [ [exit ROM] or [continue] ] seemed better if I let the game load one time with Auto-detect, ESC'd back to the ROM selector and then forced the incorrect 3E bank.

On my vintage XP rig it always CTD.

Edited by Keatah

The inconsistency is because the banks are randomized in 3E.  Sometimes you'll enter a bank/hit a bit of code where the debugger is triggered.  Sometimes it can run, but will look weird (aka, fried graphics).  And yet other times it may hit an instruction that causes the emulation to crash.  But Stella itself should not be crashing, only the emulation/virtual machine itself.  I can't say what's happening in XP, since we no longer support it, and I don't have any way to test it.

Right. I'm slowly moving all my stuff to win10.

I never got any special CTD dialog box in win10 with this issue. But have had Stella terminate and return me to desktop. Guess that is a CTD, more or less.

Well, either way this all good work. And really amazing that it takes only a couple-a 3 or 4% to run it all.

Edited by Keatah

On 6/8/2020 at 6:59 AM, stephena said:

..But good to see that there's still interest in Stella ?

Of course there is. The magic of early emulation - seeing what was considered long lost come alive on commonplace PC hardware has, well, become commonplace. It's now endemic. Expected. So while the wow factor may be muted the importance and necessity remains. And some of have been using Stella since the Brad Mott days.

• Like 2

Hi Stella Team,

i have a question about a function since (Stella release 6.1)

• Major improvements to display mode handling in NTSC vs. PAL. The window is now the same size for both modes, and scaling is applied to simulate the height of scanlines (in PAL mode, there are more scanlines and hence each is narrower). This more properly emulates how the display would look on a real TV.

Is it possible to disable this function somewhere? Or maybe I do not know where to switch.

If i make screenshots with option "Ignore scaling (1x mode)" i get image in original size. But when  i choose the default settings with Zoom 300% i get a image with 960x720 every time, regardless of whether it is PAL or NTSC. I want no stretched pic.

Anyway, you're doing a really great job. :thumbsup:
Thanks for that.

1 hour ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

The pics are not stretched. A CRT picture has always the same size no matter if it is PAL or NTSC. Previously Stella did that wrong.

Thanks for your reply. Yes you are right on the crt picture, but.....

... i try to put my question differently.

If i make with Stella 6.2 a snapshot with "ignore scaling (1x mode)"

from the Rom Pac-Man 1981 Atari NTSC the result is a screenshot with 320x228

from the Rom Pac-Man 1981 Atari PAL the result is a screenshot with 320x274

well so far.

but if i make a screenshot with default zoom mode = 300%

the screenshot from NTSC is 960x720 and

the screenshot from PAL is 960x720 too

where is the misthake in the zoom result, or in the 1x mode, or in my point of view?

2 minutes ago, Schitti said:

where is the misthake in the zoom result, or in the 1x mode, or in my point of view?

The latter. :) 

The 1x screenshot does no scaling whatsoever. So you get pixel perfect results. But they do not have the correct aspect ratio. 

The normal screenshots save whatever you see on your display. And there the images are scaled vertically for correct aspect ratio.

13 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

The latter. :) 

The 1x screenshot does no scaling whatsoever. So you get pixel perfect results. But they do not have the correct aspect ratio. 

The normal screenshots save whatever you see on your display. And there the images are scaled vertically for correct aspect ratio.

Ok, so then back to my first question. Is it possible to disable change this somewhere? i need a 300% zoomed perfect pixel result from the not scaled 1x mode pic and no vertically scaled pic.

;)

Edited by Schitti

sure,

if it were only one pic, or ten, or a hundred pictures, then yes. I just want to save myself the extra effort on my work if it is possible otherwise.
Actally i explore what options i have with Stella before i start making screenshots.

I am still in the decision phase

If you disable interpolation and TV filters and use a reasonably high zoom factor (e.g 300% or more), you can obtain screenshots which are very close in look to the pixel-perfect ones (no blurred edges), but scaled up and with correct aspect ratio (so, same size for NTSC and PAL):

Example:
with these settings

settings1.png.f90dc9cb1f0980a6ef3115a0db9260d5.pngsettings2.png.79f6fb07ea371279a41324b7d0328197.png
You get this
PAL

1078339790_KeystoneKapers(1983)(Activision)(PAL)_9.thumb.png.3a7856e1dbcd180a336bf86620a70228.png

NTSC

1771388244_KeystoneKapers(1983)(Activision)_7.thumb.png.ec8f0db11502cd5718265339b823bea3.png

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, alex_79 said:

If you disable interpolation and TV filters and use a reasonably high zoom factor (e.g 300% or more), you can obtain screenshots which are very close in look to the pixel-perfect ones (no blurred edges), but scaled up and with correct aspect ratio (so, same size for NTSC and PAL):

Thank you for your help. :thumbsup: It's not exactly the result I'm aiming for, but it's another option.

I would prefer if the outer dimensions of the result were different, i.e. the original size exactly 300% larger.
Maybe I just use an older version of Stella.
I will check it.

:|

• Like 1

This is for internal purposes in our project for possible later use. I can stretch the image when it is shown on the website so that it is displayed correctly as it looks on a CRT, but I want to keep the original aspect ratio of the images from the 1x zoom mode (plus 300%).

haha, that's taking on dimensions ...... thanks for your patience