IGNORED

Stella 6.2 released

stephena

Ok, so it may not be Stella issue, but rather my OS issue. I have problem setting 16:10 resolution in Armbian, so I guess I should search in Armbian forums how to do that.

Btw, is it possible to save the display position and size for individual games? Some games are still not correctly centered on my monitor (Mines of Minos PAL for example, it is too much on the top and it crops some part of picture).

12 minutes ago, Wizzard said:

It is, but it is not possible to save the display position for each game, or am I missing something? At least I did not find this feature in manual.

Correct, the setting is global, like you are adjusting Stella to a virtual TV. If games are not correctly centered, then this is because they are developed like that.  

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/8/2020 at 1:53 AM, Trebor said:

Excellent update as usual; however, the above has flagged a few concerns when tried out.

Phase Shift adjustment is working pretty well, but Hue 1x should not be impacted by phase shift adjustments. 

Hue 1x is strictly impacted by the hue/tint setting only. 

Hues 2x thru Fx are impacted when phase shift is adjusted.

While the phase shift selection is definitely a step in the right direction, it's in need of options to balance the color of individual RGB components that are making up the custom palette values being generated.

By means of examples of what is being referred to, Altirra implements the above by allowing modification of the angle balance and scale of the individual RGB values.  MAME provides similar with the options found under HLSL.

Hide contents

Altirra.PNG.6dbab63895952b6b4e311aefbf361d68.PNG

MAME.thumb.PNG.2440564ec4052003f41f49c38b35946d.PNG

Under Stella, there's a stronger than expected blue to red ratio currently.  Take HERO for example, and dial down the hue/tine setting so Hue 1x is gold/golden rod range as intended, per the Television Interface Adaptor [TIA] (Model 1A), Atari VCS POP Field Service Manual, and Stella Programmer's Guide tech docs.*

When adjusted modestly (Around 42%-44% instead of Stella's default 50% hue setting), the reds look violet for Power and the Dynamite sticks. If the hue/tint was adjusted way down, or the phase shift ridiculous high, that blue overpowering red effect would be expected, but not for such a modest hue adjustment and phase shift.

Capture.thumb.PNG.8735b2bb882897b60671aca9656b0657.PNG

Having the above in mind, curious if external palette files no longer supported.  I couldn't find a way to load an external palette any longer.  Hoping while the palette generation/customization continues refinement, if external palette file support has been removed, could it please be added back? Answered - see follow-up post.

*Side Note: The Chartreuse/green(er) look for Hue 1x is definitely evident on modern flat panel displays; Pitfall! being a good example and reference for it.  However, preferably and the intended look is CRT, where Hue 1x is in the golden range as denoted in the aforementioned documents and personal experience :)

@Trebor

I am current planning to implement more parameters in Stella. This will be RGB angle shift and scale as visible in the Altrirra GUI and should fill the remaining gap. Are the parameters defined somewhere?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I am current planning to implement more parameters in Stella. This will be RGB angle shift and scale as visible in the Altrirra GUI and should fill the remaining gap. Are the parameters defined somewhere?

Excellent news to read; unfortunately, I do not know off-hand a place where the parameters are defined for such an implementation (Outside of perhaps Altirra source). MAME performs a similar function option with its RGB ratio shifts under hlsl.

Spoiler

{ WINOPTION_RED_RATIO";fs_redratio",                        "1.0,0.0,0.0",       OPTION_STRING,     "red output signal generated by input signal" },
    { WINOPTION_GRN_RATIO";fs_grnratio",                        "0.0,1.0,0.0",       OPTION_STRING,     "green output signal generated by input signal" },
    { WINOPTION_BLU_RATIO";fs_bluratio",                        "0.0,0.0,1.0",       OPTION_STRING,     "blue output signal generated by input signal" },

red_ratio (Red Output from RGB)
grn_ratio (Green Output from RGB)
blu_ratio (Blue Output from RGB)

Defines a 3x3 matrix that is multiplied with the RGB signals to simulate color channel interference. For instance, a green channel of (0.100, 1.000, 0.250) is weakened 10% by the red channel and strengthened 25% through the blue channel.