IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 12 - Game 16 FINAL - Pinball

16 minutes ago, JasonlikesINTV said:

This game started off great. Almost 50k on the first ball!

IMG_20200621_221309.thumb.jpg.8312ca870623dc09d11df97e62ab7eaa.jpg

Hoping for a higher score, but I'll take it (64,910):

IMG_20200621_221552.thumb.jpg.84de6e8797c3322d51b8fba09a2d05b1.jpg

That sums up the game right there... 75%+ of the points usually come on one ball.  I do love the game, but still.... Grrrr... ?

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, gezkc said:

+2

This has been a really great HSC. I've enjoyed trying out games I've never played before and revisiting some of the old favourites. It's been fun playing with you all - there's some great people on this forum! 

A big thank you especially to Jacob for running it all and for choosing such great games (even the Coleco ones ?!). It's been a welcome distraction during these strange times. 

Looking forward to the next one, once I've given my thumbs a rest! ?

Yes, thank you Jacob for running the contest. It's been fun!

An interesting feature of Pinball I was thinking about as I played it last night is how the whole screen moves when you "bump" or nudge the table. That is an ability that Intellivision has that I don't think other systems could do back then. Sub Hunt and Star Strike are other games I can think of that utilize this feature of the hardware.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

This game (Pinball) was my very first contest here. It was alot of fun. I will do my best to keep my eyes open for the next HSC. Looking forward to it.... ? 

Nice job Ace. The 353k proved to be unbeatable. I think I notched 8 total 200k+ games during the contest, but never even came close to 300k. Very impressive... :-o

Stay safe y'all. 

Rickster8

• Like 5

7 hours ago, gezkc said:

He'd have to announce himself as the winner though! It seems a bit wrong for him to have to do that!

Yeah, that seems poor form, so I've been reluctant to do so.  ?

If Jacob doesn't get to it soon, I'll put up my normal Tuesday unofficial update later today. 

While on the subject of scores, that was a hell of a run you had these last few games!  When I was briefly up by 11pts, I had visions of just cruising to the finish, but you kept pushing me and made me earn it. You don't want to know how many games of Pinball I played this week in a failed bid to get ahead of you! Lol! ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, BiffMan said:

Yeah, that seems poor form, so I've been reluctant to do so.  ?

If Jacob doesn't get to it soon, I'll put up my normal Tuesday unofficial update later today. 

While on the subject of scores, that was a hell of a run you had these last few games!  When I was briefly up by 11pts, I had visions of just cruising to the finish, but you kept pushing me and made me earn it. You don't want to know how many games of Pinball I played this week in a failed bid to get ahead of you! Lol! ?

Thanks. ?

I was trying for one last big score on pinball too (I think I could have just drawn level with you if I'd leapfrogged Rickster and Ace's scores), but it was never going to happen. That 353k score of Ace's in particular was phenomenal! 

To be honest, you were easily the most consistent over the whole HSC. I would have felt I'd been very lucky if I had managed to catch you! 

Congrats on being a worthy winner, BiffMan. That was a lot of fun! ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since @gezkc was kind enough to let the cat out of the bag and not make me self-announce with this update, I feel more comfortable posting the "final" (unofficial) standings update after Pinball...  ?

Unofficial results of Pinball and final standings update!  Phenomenally balanced competition with 8 different winners in the 16 games and as narrow a margin of victory as possible!!

(HIGH SCORES)

1. 353,710 Ace24  [+11]

2. 257,770 Rickster8  [+10]

3. 210,020 gezkc  [+9]

4. 121,750 BiffMan  [+7]

5. 97,750 mr_me  [+6]

6. 64,910 JasonlikesINTV  [+5]

7. 38,510 gavvv  [+4]

8. 37,290 cmadruga  [+3]

9. 19,550 jblenkle  [+2]

10. 19,200 fakecortex  [+1]

11. 14,740 wolfy62  [+1]

12. 12,500 roadrunner  [+1]

13. 11,660 Mangia-Boy  [+1]

Season 12 Final Rankings

1. BiffMan [+126]

2. gezkc [+125]

3. cmadruga [+97]

4. JasonlikesINTV [+86]

5. Ace24 [+75]

6. IntyFanMatt [+71]

7. JacobZu7zu7 [+68]

8. mr_me [+52]

9. wolfy62 [+49]

10. fakecortex [+40]

11. Player One [+32]

12. cparsely [+31]

13. dpisicane [+28]

14. jblenkle [+24]

15. Intelligentleman [+23]

16. Mangia-Boy [+17]

17. ed1475 [+16]

17. roadrunner [+16]

19. m-crew [+13]

20. Intellfan [+10]

20. Rickster8 [+10]

22. hoosierdadee78 [+7]

23. S.BAZ [+4]

23. gavvv [+4]

25. t0spmad [+2]

25. Mister-VCS [+2]

25. gar0u [+2]

28. DarthCloud [+1]

Games Won

4 - BiffMan (Atlantis - Demon Attack - Mission X  - Auto Racing)

4 - gezkc (Burgertime - Auto Racing - Happy Trails - Popeye)

3 - mr_me (Lock 'N Chase - Tron Deadly Discs - Space Hawk)

2 - IntyFanMatt (Frogger - Carnival)

2 - cmadruga  (Tron Deadly Discs speed 1 - Beamrider)

1 - cparsley (Mouse Trap)

1 - ed1475 (Space Armada)

1 - Ace24 (Pinball)

• Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, BiffMan said:

Since @gezkc was kind enough to let the cat out of the bag and not make me self-announce with this update, I feel more comfortable posting the "final" (unofficial) standings update after Pinball...  ?

Unofficial results of Pinball and final standings update!  Phenomenally balanced competition with 8 different winners in the 16 games and as narrow a margin of victory as possible!!

(HIGH SCORES)

1. 353,710 Ace24  [+11]

2. 257,770 Rickster8  [+10]

3. 210,020 gezkc  [+9]

4. 121,750 BiffMan  [+7]

5. 97,750 mr_me  [+6]

6. 64,910 JasonlikesINTV  [+5]

7. 38,510 gavvv  [+4]

8. 37,290 cmadruga  [+3]

9. 19,550 jblenkle  [+2]

10. 19,200 fakecortex  [+1]

11. 14,740 wolfy62  [+1]

12. 12,500 roadrunner  [+1]

13. 11,660 Mangia-Boy  [+1]

Season 12 Final Rankings

1. BiffMan [+126]

2. gezkc [+125]

3. cmadruga [+97]

4. JasonlikesINTV [+86]

5. Ace24 [+75]

6. IntyFanMatt [+71]

7. JacobZu7zu7 [+68]

8. mr_me [+52]

9. wolfy62 [+49]

10. fakecortex [+40]

11. Player One [+32]

12. cparsely [+31]

13. dpisicane [+28]

14. jblenkle [+24]

15. Intelligentleman [+23]

16. Mangia-Boy [+17]

17. ed1475 [+16]

17. roadrunner [+16]

19. m-crew [+13]

20. Intellfan [+10]

20. Rickster8 [+10]

22. hoosierdadee78 [+7]

23. S.BAZ [+4]

23. gavvv [+4]

25. t0spmad [+2]

25. Mister-VCS [+2]

25. gar0u [+2]

28. DarthCloud [+1]

Games Won

4 - BiffMan (Atlantis - Demon Attack - Mission X  - Auto Racing)

4 - gezkc (Burgertime - Auto Racing - Happy Trails - Popeye)

3 - mr_me (Lock 'N Chase - Tron Deadly Discs - Space Hawk)

2 - IntyFanMatt (Frogger - Carnival)

2 - cmadruga  (Tron Deadly Discs speed 1 - Beamrider)

1 - cparsley (Mouse Trap)

1 - ed1475 (Space Armada)

1 - Ace24 (Pinball)

Wow, it was even closer than I thought! I hadn't realized there was a 2 point difference between 3rd and 4th. Doh! ? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, gezkc said:

Wow, it was even closer than I thought! I hadn't realized there was a 2 point difference between 3rd and 4th. Doh! ? 

Yeah, that's the one bit I was going to recommend for next season, I'm sure the 1st-3rd being 1 point apart thing has an origin story, but the current result is that every place is 1 point apart other than 2 points between 3rd and 4th, which is just weird.  I'd recommend either a straight 1 pt between every position or an extra point for 1st or something.  I like it being close, but won't pretend that extra point difference 3rd-4th wasn't weighing heavily on my mind this game in particular....   ?

• Like 1

Just now, mr_me said:

I guess it's like the olympics, where the top three get medals, fourth doesn't.

That makes sense and it's probably how it came to be, a little extra separation for 1st-3rd.  I don't have a problem with it, just struck me as odd.  I don't really want to see 1st place getting too many points or it penalizes those that can't play every round, so maybe I should just zip it and acknowledge this is probably optimum as-is.  ?

The point distribution is still somewhat arbitrary.   I'd give the extra point to first e.g. 10-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1.  I've seen some competitions award points as a ratio of your score compared to the first place score.  This really rewards a player who does exceptionally well in one game but also second and third place who come close.  Maybe not so good for more friendly competitions.  Doesn't matter as long as it's consistent, I'm fine with whatever the organizer decides.   The most important thing is the selection of games which was pretty good.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, mr_me said:

The point distribution is still somewhat arbitrary.   I'd give the extra point to first e.g. 10-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1.  I've seen some competitions award points as a ratio of your score compared to the first place score.  This really rewards a player who does exceptionally well in one game but also second and third place who come close.  Maybe not so good for more friendly competitions.  Doesn't matter as long as it's consistent, I'm fine with whatever the organizer decides.   The most important thing is the selection of games which was pretty good.

I guess that's basically what we have except 1st-3rd all get the extra point, so instead of 10-9-8-7-6... 11-10-9-7-6... which for the most part I'm okay with since it's often so close at the top.  I guess the bottom line is that I'd prefer whichever version ensures I'll win again allows for close competition and doesn't penalize folks too heavily for having to miss a week or three if they're on original hardware and don't own a given game.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, BiffMan said:

Yeah, that's the one bit I was going to recommend for next season, I'm sure the 1st-3rd being 1 point apart thing has an origin story, but the current result is that every place is 1 point apart other than 2 points between 3rd and 4th, which is just weird.  I'd recommend either a straight 1 pt between every position or an extra point for 1st or something.  I like it being close, but won't pretend that extra point difference 3rd-4th wasn't weighing heavily on my mind this game in particular....   ?

I nominate you the leader/moderator of next season's HSC.  No offense to Jacob.  ? 

22 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

I nominate you the leader/moderator of next season's HSC.  No offense to Jacob.  ? 

I'm really happy with Jacob's lead and game choice, so I'm good with him doing it as long as he wants. 

While I appreciate the vote of confidence, I'm still the n00b around here.  I don't mind contributing/helping as much as life allows, but I should have a few more seasons under my belt before considering anything more. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BiffMan said:

I'm really happy with Jacob's lead and game choice, so I'm good with him doing it as long as he wants. 

While I appreciate the vote of confidence, I'm still the n00b around here.  I don't mind contributing/helping as much as life allows, but I should have a few more seasons under my belt before considering anything more. 

I hear ya, I just appreciate your updates and your insight.  You've been great to have here.

• Thanks 1

By the time the next competition starts,I will be 58.

Am i the oldest player here?

Also wanted to say: Wow! That was incredibly close for 1st and 2nd,great job to you two guys,and winning 4 individual games each.

I am just along for the ride!?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, wolfy62 said:

Also wanted to say: Wow! That was incredibly close for 1st and 2nd,great job to you two guys,and winning 4 individual games each.

Happy almost birthday!  ?

You've got me by a few years, but not that many...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wolfy62 said:

Just wanted to chime in. I am 44 and I received my first Intellivision for Christmas in 1982 when I was just 6 years old. Made such an impression on me that I’m still playing it to this date! As I grow older, I hope to keep playing it as long as I can. So many great, innovative games were developed for it that still stand the test of time today. Looking forward to the Amico and how that will fit into today’s world of video games. Should be fun. 

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, wolfy62 said:

37 here. Born in 82. As soon as I was able to hold the controller, I started playing Intellivision. Probably around 1987 or so.

• Like 4