IGNORED

Krikzz Mega Everdrive Pro

phoenixdownita

All EverDrives support SMS ;)

Edit: Ah, but the expansion audio support is new.

CD support is cool, but I already own a real one...already upgraded my EverDrive once to get the faster loading times and CD save backup support. Wake me up when it emulates a 32x 8)

Edited by Asaki

7 minutes ago, Asaki said:

Wake me up when it emulates a 32x 8)

If it had 32x capabilities that would have been the push for me to make the purchase too. $200 is more than I would spend on an SD cart but if it was to eleminate the need for the 32x and CD I would have to make the plunge.

• Like 1

It's cheaper than a Sega CD and a RAM cart, which isn't something you can say for the Mega SD, which costs an extra ~$80 shipped from Andorra. This is pretty impressive!

NES FPGA on top of it is pretty impressive, but it'd be even more impressive if he figured out how to (optionally) use the Genesis's YM2612 FM channels for audio. 

I'm not familiar with Everdrives, but I'm not clear what the save game support will be. My understanding is that NES games (and possible Sega CD games as well) won't have save state support. Does that mean they won't be able to save at all, or will they still have basic save functionality?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

On 6/12/2020 at 10:58 PM, Sargon said:

I'm not familiar with Everdrives, but I'm not clear what the save game support will be.

It's usually an emulator feature, where the entire RAM contents are saved. So rather than waiting for a save point, or writing down passwords, you can save exactly where you are and resume.

It's a handy feature, but also makes it easier to cheat (like in MegaMan 2, save state next to a pit, die, reload, die, reload, etc.). And I know on the NES EverDrive, the feature breaks some games.

All regular forms of saving should still work.

There are some Sega Genesis games, though, that don't save correctly (like MegaMan: Wiley Wars), so you either need a patch to have it save in a different way, or make sure you get an EverDrive that supports it properly.

On 6/11/2020 at 2:22 PM, Asaki said:

All EverDrives support SMS ;)

Edit: Ah, but the expansion audio support is new.

CD support is cool, but I already own a real one...already upgraded my EverDrive once to get the faster loading times and CD save backup support. Wake me up when it emulates a 32x 8)

Actually there was a firmware update to the older MegaED X7 that enabled SMS FM music and sound. I know because I have it on mine. But I will wait this one out as I have a working model 2 CD attached to my model 1 VA2 Genesis with a 32x and quite happy to have it all at the ready!

23 hours ago, Asaki said:

It's usually an emulator feature, where the entire RAM contents are saved. So rather than waiting for a save point, or writing down passwords, you can save exactly where you are and resume.

Right, I understand save states, but what does it mean for the platforms where save states aren't supported?

For example, it has been said that the Mega Everdrive Pro won't have save states for NES.  With that being said, what about NES games that have native save capabilities?  Take a game like Final Fantasy.  Will it be able to save progress on the Everdrive Pro through the game's own built-in save feature, or will it not be possible to save anything for NES?  I think Sega CD might fall into that same category, as I haven't seen any confirmation that Sega CD will support save states.  In the absence of save states, can games still be saved if the cart itself supported saves?

Edited by Sargon

5 hours ago, Sargon said:

Right, I understand save states, but what does it mean for the platforms where save states aren't supported?

For example, it has been said that the Mega Everdrive Pro won't have save states for NES.  With that being said, what about NES games that have native save capabilities?  Take a game like Final Fantasy.  Will it be able to save progress on the Everdrive Pro through the game's own built-in save feature, or will it not be possible to save anything for NES?  I think Sega CD might fall into that same category, as I haven't seen any confirmation that Sega CD will support save states.  In the absence of save states, can games still be saved if the cart itself supported saves?

Awesome questions. exactly what I would like to know also. It would be awesome if Krikzz would post answers to your qustion right here on this thread. I personally VERY interested pending details.

On 6/15/2020 at 1:14 AM, -^CrossBow^- said:

Actually there was a firmware update to the older MegaED X7 that enabled SMS FM music and sound.

Ah, didn't know that. I've got the x5.

It's been a little while since I checked on updates, though.

22 hours ago, Sargon said:

On 6/14/2020 at 4:44 PM, Asaki said:

All regular forms of saving should still work.

There are some Sega Genesis games, though, that don't save correctly (like MegaMan: Wiley Wars), so you either need a patch to have it save in a different way, or make sure you get an EverDrive that supports it properly.

9 minutes ago, Asaki said:

Ah, didn't know that. I've got the x5.

It's been a little while since I checked on updates, though.

Yes it was maybe a year or so ago this was added but only on the X7 model. The X5 and X3 do not have the ability to do this or at least it wasn't an option at the time I updated the FW on my X7. I honestly don't use those features much since I have a 32x and SegaCD plugged in at all times and when you have all of that connected, quite a bit of these features will not work through the MegaED carts.

Since I have one of Tim's FM boards installed in my actual SMS that is connected up for play, I really hadn't bothered with it much other than to test that it did work.

This is a hardware emulator. The cartridge is 100 times more powerful than the console. I don’t understand why they haven’t done playing PC games, supplying images and sound to VDP and the sound chip of the console. This was planned to be done by Fonzie (a fraudster Paprium developer). So wait, soon not only NES will be, but also PC, fantasy systems like PICO-8. Evolution.

23 hours ago, Тимур Лязгиев said:

This is a hardware emulator. The cartridge is 100 times more powerful than the console. I don’t understand why they haven’t done playing PC games, supplying images and sound to VDP and the sound chip of the console.

Probably because the FPGA doesn't have enough room, and/or Krikzz doesn't have the interest.

It would also be pretty difficult to emulate PC on a Genesis without a keyboard.

9 hours ago, Asaki said:

Probably because the FPGA doesn't have enough room, and/or Krikzz doesn't have the interest.

It would also be pretty difficult to emulate PC on a Genesis without a keyboard.

I think this was meant as a general question, not specifically related to this cart.

Actually, the TeraDrive does have a keyboard, so it would be possible.

Think I have the x5 currently. My mega cd 1 works fine and never had a problem with it, so adding cd support is great but not a dire need right now. However, the space it takes up is a factor. I'm good now with my current setup but before I would have jumped at the chance to reduce the total height of the machine. 

So it's something I'd like as a convenience but I'm in no rush.

5 hours ago, Gabriel said:

I have a Mega Everdrive from before they started being labeled X#.

Yeah, I had one of those too (I forget which one). But the X5 offered CD save cart support, and way faster loading times (and other stuff I don't use), so I upgraded. Sold the old one to a guy at work (plus offered to fill up an SD card for him).

4 hours ago, Asaki said:

Yeah, I had one of those too (I forget which one). But the X5 offered CD save cart support, and way faster loading times (and other stuff I don't use), so I upgraded. Sold the old one to a guy at work (plus offered to fill up an SD card for him).

Yeah, mine has Sega CD backup ram cart support.  It has an in-game menu (which I don't use).  Game Genie support.  The Genesis has to be reset for saves to work.  So it's like the move to the X# versions sort of split the functions over the three levels from what was already there on mine.

The only thing I see on the X7 feature list that mine doesn't have is no reset saves and Virtua Racing support.

18 hours ago, Gabriel said:

Yeah, mine has Sega CD backup ram cart support.  It has an in-game menu (which I don't use).  Game Genie support.  The Genesis has to be reset for saves to work.  So it's like the move to the X# versions sort of split the functions over the three levels from what was already there on mine.

I always got them mixed up, but it sounds like you maybe have the Mega EverDrive, and I used to have the EverDrive MD.