IGNORED

Krikzz Mega Everdrive Pro

phoenixdownita

12 hours ago, Sargon said:

I ordered as soon as they were available and mine just shipped today.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

What was your order date? I ordered mine on June 26th.

Also please post you opinion once you receive it and I will do the same.

I bought and returned terraonion's Mega SD because it seemed to introduce a tiny bit of lag, both with Genesis Roms and Sega CD ISO. This was with Genesis Model 1 non-tmms and Framemesister. I did not perceive this using Mega Everdrive, actual cart, or Sega CD model 1 on the same TV. On a positive note aside from lag it seemed a top notch product with fast load time and great menu interface.

The website says it'll take about a week for it to ship.

One of the interesting bits I learned from early adopters is that it does not support multi-bin CD images.

and krikzz is thinking about how to make it work, but I don't think early adopters will get out of converting their images with CDMage. 

I have a huge collection, nearly every SCD as a .bin/.cue if multi- disc can't be played I'm ok with that.

I can always burn to CD-R and play on my perfect, fully refurbished Model 1 with JVC drive. Emulating the SCD is a novelty to me, I want to play cartridge games and have save states. Plus I hope to get a programmer to get ColecoVision and 2600 emulators running on it, like Krikzz did by including the NES Emulator. I'm really looking forward to some Super Mario 3, Gun.Smoke, 1942 and some other favorites of mine on my Genesis.

Genesis does what Nintendon't ?

Krikzz makes top notch products.

1 hour ago, derFunkenstein said:

and krikzz is thinking about how to make it work, but I don't think early adopters will get out of converting their images with CDMage.

Weird that he doesn't like those options: that's how just about every program ever works, by loading the CUE instead of the BIN.

Converting images isn't that bad. Especially since most people at the EverDrive forums just wait for Smokemonster packs.

48 minutes ago, Yurkie said:

I have a huge collection, nearly every SCD as a .bin/.cue if multi- disc can't be played I'm ok with that.

It's not multi-disc, I'm not even sure if Sega had any games that were multi-disc...maybe Night Trap?

It's where the disc is backed up so that the data AND the music are all stored as BIN files. So you could still play the game, there just wouldn't be any CD audio.

Edited by Asaki
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Asaki said:

Weird that he doesn't like those options: that's how just about every program ever works, by loading the CUE instead of the BIN.

Converting images isn't that bad. Especially since most people at the EverDrive forums just wait for Smokemonster packs.

It's not multi-disc, I'm not even sure if Sega had any games that were multi-disc...maybe Night Trap?

It's where the disc is backed up so that the data AND the music are all stored as BIN files. So you could still play the game, there just wouldn't be any CD audio.

It had to have been beta tested and played single disc games. There are not many multiple disc games.

• 4 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Sargon said:

Do you mind sharing what your tracking history looks like? My package was processed in Kiev on July 5 and hasn't been seen since.

Took around a month to get it. Im in Toledo,  OH

I ordered on 7/4. It shipped on 7/13. Got to New York ISC 7/23 and delivered on 7/29 in Peoria, IL. So not quite a month for me.

It's *really* nice for the price. The Sega CD stuff was controversial because it doesn't support ReDump right out of the box. It works but you don't get CDDA. However, Krikzz created a "cdfix" app for download on his site which traverses all subfolders of its location and converts every image. It converted a copy of the full Redump set in about 30 minutes. I haven't launched every game, but every one I've launched has been good.

One warning: Don't use CDX or X'Eye BIOS. For whatever reason, CD audio tracks are VERY quiet with those BIOSes. I switched to the model 2 BIOS and everything fixed itself. 

I'm really impressed. Delivers everything that Terraonion did with the Mega SD with a less fancy OSD for much lower cost. 

8 minutes ago, derFunkenstein said:

I ordered on 7/4. It shipped on 7/13. Got to New York ISC 7/23 and delivered on 7/29 in Peoria, IL. So not quite a month for me.

That is what I was worried about.  My package also shipped on 7/4, but has never made it to New York.  I fear my shipment is lost.  I guess I'll give it until next week and then contact Krikzz.

Would be great if Krikzz fixed the NES cores so that Super Mario 3 didn't have the graphic glitches in the menu part of the bottom of the screen.

That and a Colecovision and 2600 core. Ill alway keep a CV and likely a 2600, but doubt I would ever play them if there were accurate cores.

On 8/1/2020 at 12:28 PM, Yurkie said:

Would be great if Krikzz fixed the NES cores so that Super Mario 3 didn't have the graphic glitches in the menu part of the bottom of the screen.

That and a Colecovision and 2600 core. Ill alway keep a CV and likely a 2600, but doubt I would ever play them if there were accurate cores.

The user manual says the NES core has some limitations. Based on Krikzz response here, I think what you're seeing in SMB3 is expected.

Given the limitations of the NES core, it'd be cool to see someone come up with a GB or GBC core. GG has a larger color palette (4096 possible) than the Genesis (512 possible), so I'm not sure that one is realistic. 

On 8/1/2020 at 10:51 AM, Sargon said:

That is what I was worried about.  My package also shipped on 7/4, but has never made it to New York.  I fear my shipment is lost.  I guess I'll give it until next week and then contact Krikzz.

Wow, yeah, sounds like it's definitely lost. Probably best to contact him sooner rather than later, though. 

Edited by derFunkenstein

So I gave the NES core a go, and I can see why he frames it as just a freebie. It's interesting, but *lots* of games are unplayable garbage. Super Mario Bros and Tetris both worked well, but Mario 2 and 3, TMNT 2 Arcade Game, and Mega Man 2 were all pretty rough. Contra and Super C both had some corruption, but were at least playable.

The sound is "off" too, but miraculously it's actually *more accurate* than those NoaC clones from Hyperkin and Gamerz Tek. Those things actually play games, though, so...

Mine arrived yesterday from Retro Towers in the UK to replacing my V2/X7. Very reasonable in terms of cost if you don't already have a mega cd given what they go for these days.

I pre-did the card for it, FWIW the redump mega cd archive works, you just need to run the cd-fix utility (in the downloads on Krikzz site) to change them from multi bin to single bin. Also multi-disc games need putting into the same folder, with their respective cue files, and named the same thing with a 1, 2, 3, etc at the end (you'll need to edit the cue files to reflect this). I'm using the official bios' and they appear to be working fine. Sewer Shark I think is the only outstanding issue with audio stutters, but if you find the not for resale bundle version, it works fine.

• Like 1

Agree. Every Redump image I've tried works fine as long as you run that cd-fix util. The nice thing about it is that if you put it at the root of all your images, it'll traverse folders and do them all in one big pass. I did a copy of the full Redump set residing on an SSD in about 15 minutes. Very minor inconvenience. 

I'm really curious about its compatibility. What happens if you try a game with cartridge audio like Gimmick! or Akumajou Densetsu? I'm guessing at the very least that the cart audio won't work, especially since that core is just a fun little bonus and not meant for serious use. Not buying one since I already have the MegaSD, but I've been very curious about this functionality since it was announced.

On 8/13/2020 at 2:21 AM, juansolo said:

My only want is handling of Pier Solar with the audio CD... Not sure if that's been looked into.

Last time I checked, Krikzz intentionally left out support for Pier Solar because he wanted people to support the devs and buy the cart.

But that was a while ago, maybe he changed his mind since then?