IGNORED

Truths - As witnessed, being a "Classic TI-99/4A Hobbyist" (Add Your Own)

Omega-TI

Ya snooze, ya usually lose!

See something NEW coming out for the TI?  You like it?  Well you better get one while you can!

You never know when something will be:
1) Discontinued 

2) End a limited production run, which may never have another run.

3) Have a license expire.  

• Like 3

I'd say the most literal case of this was Dragon's Lair.  Given the intended production run was ~100.  And when I placed my order on the day orders opened up, around 11AM EST, it was already something like the 60th I think.  When I saw the number, I was literally feeling thankfully I didn't sleep in later, and snooze and lose. :P

Though in practice, orders well beyond 100 ultimately went through.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, pixelpedant said:

I'd say the most literal case of this was Dragon's Lair.  Given the intended production run was ~100.  And when I placed my order on the day orders opened up, around 11AM EST, it was already something like the 60th I think.  When I saw the number, I was literally feeling thankfully I didn't sleep in later, and snooze and lose. :P

Yeah, Dragon's Lair is why I mentioned #3.  Most notably #1 could be the F18A.  As for #2, that can apply to so many other things.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 9:34 AM, pixelpedant said:

Yeah, but only to 156 (and not all those orders shipped in the end). I like to think that only the people who were not part of the community here "missed out". :) (And let's be honest, most of them just wanted to put it on a shelf. I probably SHOULD have sold empty boxes ;) ).

• Haha 4

On 6/11/2020 at 9:36 AM, Omega-TI said:

Yeah, Dragon's Lair is why I mentioned #3.  Most notably #1 could be the F18A.  As for #2, that can apply to so many other things.

F18A is not discontinued. Matt's been working his ass off on that these last few weeks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And I used to think that the RGB F18A might remain a discontinued (and therefore by some coveted) item in communities for 9918 based systems, given the successor's decision to go digital (which will be preferable to some, but non-preferable to others). 

But since the MK2 is now going to support both analogue and digital, it doesn't seem like anybody will have missed out on the original's essential functionality at all.  And with a smaller footprint, the successor will be preferable in almost all scenarios. 

That having said, in the meantime, plenty of people "missed out" on having an F18A these past couple years, after the original ceased to be produced.

4 hours ago, Tursi said:

F18A is not discontinued. Matt's been working his ass off on that these last few weeks.

Well, from my perspective, and for all intents and purposes the F18A, I'll call it the "MK1" here, seems like it's been discontinued with no more having being available for such a long period of time.  I dunno what else you could call it really.

Yes, Matt has been going above and beyond the call of duty on the F18A MK2, especially with the trouble that developed over the HDMI licensing that set him back.

3 hours ago, Omega-TI said:

Well, from my perspective, and for all intents and purposes the F18A, I'll call it the "MK1" here, seems like it's been discontinued with no more having being available for such a long period of time.  I dunno what else you could call it really.

Call it what it is: not currently available from the manufacturer. :) I've offered my spares to several people complaining they can't get one and the people complaining almost always decline. I don't think there's too desperate a demand.

I suppose you can say the MK1 is discontinued, as there's no intent to make more of them, but these comments lead to people starting other threads with "since F18A is never going to be made again", etc, and that just feels wrong. These things take time to make. It's fun to be impatient but spare time projects take longer than full time projects. ;)

I dunno. As another very slow progress person that sort of statement hits too close to home! (Classic99 has been called discontinued several times too, using the same logic.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tursi said:

I suppose you can say the MK1 is discontinued, as there's no intent to make more of them, but these comments lead to people starting other threads with "since F18A is never going to be made again", etc, and that just feels wrong.

I suppose that could feel wrong, but should we feel intimidated into not posting, because of the off chance someone "might" misconstrue something?  If that was the case, many people would feel uncomfortable posting anything, and this place could become very quiet.

On 6/12/2020 at 10:41 PM, Omega-TI said:

I suppose that could feel wrong, but should we feel intimidated into not posting, because of the off chance someone "might" misconstrue something?  If that was the case, many people would feel uncomfortable posting anything, and this place could become very quiet.

Did I at any point say you should not post? No. But am I not allowed to post my view as well?

All I did was object to the wording as misleading. Everyone gets called out for doing that from time to time - you, me, everyone. Nothing to get too worried about. And maybe /I'm/ wrong. Maybe there /is/ no wrong. We had a discussion, don't take it as an attack. :)

6 hours ago, Airshack said:

When you read between the lines it is obvious that @Tursi manipulated Matthew into discontinuing the F18A mk1 in exchange for a low numbered Dragon’s Lair cartridge. 

Haha, actually, I tried to buy out his entire stock while I was in China to make a ColecoVision clone. ;)

True story!

• Like 2