IGNORED

Connecting Atari ST to modern TVs?

Hi! i've been interested in getting an Atari ST lately, and have seen ones on ebay that have Television ports in the back, but just have atari 520St Badges and not Atari STm badges. would these still work with cables like https://www.ebay.com/itm/ATARI-ST-QUALITY-GOLD-RCA-PHONO-TV-AUDIO-VIDEO-CABLE-OFC-2M/390232521592?epid=2263100432&hash=item5adbabbb78:g:FOAAAOSw2s1UuoH4 ? on that note, would normal atari st's without a television port work with that cable? (such as Atari STF's, or just ST's without television ports) I live in the U.S.

Also: If they have the television port but not the STm badge, does this mean the operating system is off of a floppy disk?

Thank you!

The cable you linked to goes in the monitor port (which all ST models have) as opposed to the RF port (which is only on the STm, STfm and STe models) but hooking up to a modern LCD TV is a very mixed bag.  I had to go through three different TVs before I found one my ST liked; it was worth the stress and I wouldn't change my dedicated ST set-up for anything but expect a struggle.

And, in response to your second question, there are plenty of original model STs with the RF modulator and the GEM desktop in ROM (I personally have one).  The floppy disk OS was just something they did early on and changed when they realised it sucked and that they could get a massive advantage over the Amiga by having the desktop environment in ROM.

Edited by English Invader

That cable is for composite video signal - 1 line, other 2 is for sound. And if no RF, no composite signal too.

In any case should go with cable what supports RGB signals - much better quality, sharper pic. And that works without RF too.

Normally it goes with Scart connector, but I guess that it is not spread in USA. Probably even better solution then is to get some Multisync VGA monitor and proper cable, so ST RGB + sync signals to VGA port of monitor capable of 50, 60 Hz video. You will have colors in PAL and NTSC mode. Here are some threads about which monitors are good for ST, so please do some search.