IGNORED

When did the Atari Flashback Joystick design change?

I got hold of the FBX finally, and I notice what others have said in reviews, that the joysticks are quite different.  They are no longer stiff like the original VCS sticks were, and more like standard D-pads now.  When did AtGames change the sticks in this way, during which Flashback?

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, atari1050 said:

Are the joysticks better in the FB2 or the FB7?  I have some from the FB3 and they feel like mush!  

So I did some research, and best I can tell the sticks on the FBX and FB9 were sold with the FB8 for sure.  Now, again, I don't know of the design of the FB7 and older but keep in mind that from there on back, they do not have the same menu buttons on the side of controller #1.  So if you were to use them on the newer devices, you'll be lacking some of those menu buttons. 

I can only report how the FBX sticks feel, and that's basically like having a Genesis pad with a big center stick attached.  The sticks move pretty far on each axis, though they are responsive.  They're not horrible once you get used to them.  I'd say on some maze games like Pac-Man, where you have to change directions instantly, they are not that great. 

The FB2 sticks I highly doubt were manufactured once they moved to the FB3.  They feel like original sticks did, very stiff, with limited range of movement in each direction.  They have zero menu buttons, so if you've got one in the 1st port, you have to operate the start/reset with the console or have the FBX stick in port 2 (some games that won't work).  The FB2 was designed by Curt Vendel to closely match the original VCS hardware, so the emulation was great, and so were the sticks.  AtGames went with a more modern design after that, and probably went with cheaper sticks too. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, atari1050 said:

Thanks Greg2600!  There's always tons of AFB consoles at GoodWill stores.  Will keep an eye out for the AFB2.  Mucho apreciado!   

These things also run with the old sticks too, FWIW.  Honestly I would advise going to a Retron 77 or an actual 2600 over any of the flashbacks.