IGNORED

IDE Group is HERE!

Shift838

4 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

how many were preordered?

a total of 38 boards were pre-ordered and paid for, some with component kits and some without.  I ordered 60 PCB's, so I will have 23 left over to build or offer up when they come in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I starting to get components in today, i ordered all but one of the logic chips from TI.  Looks like TI jacked me out of 32 74ALS138's, which 2 are required to allow for functionality for both TI and Geneve.  I have already reported it to TI and opened a case for missing components.

I'm sure they will get it resolved though.  I'm still waiting on the PCBs anyway.

• Like 5

On 6/26/2020 at 5:23 PM, Shift838 said:

a total of 38 boards were pre-ordered and paid for, some with component kits and some without.  I ordered 60 PCB's, so I will have 23 left over to build or offer up when they come in.

please let me know when you ready to sell off the extra boards with parts, after the pre-orders are done, i will for sure take at least one! :)

• Like 1

Update for everyone that has ordered IDE boards, etc.

I have received a majority of the components in and today the PCBs came in!

I am only waiting on a couple of resistor network chips and the IDE2SD adapters.

I can start building soon.

For TI'ers that have ordered bare boards I will be working on getting those packaged up and shipping invoices sent out to you.  Once paid they will ship.

Here is a photo of just how much came in over the last week.

wow.jpg

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Shift838 said:

Update for everyone that has ordered IDE boards, etc.

For TI'ers that have ordered bare boards I will be working on getting those packaged up and shipping invoices sent out to you.  Once paid they will ship.

It would appear I'll be expecting your shipping invoice soon.

I need another SARS-CoV-2 project to keep my soldering iron hot and my mind busy!!! ?

Doug

• Like 2

Update..

I have received the last of the components to build the cards today.  I am only waiting for the IDE2SD adapters, but I am going to start building as those are not needed to build the cards.  I expect those in next few days.

I have my solder station ready and setup.  No soldering tonight as my son is testing for his Orange belt in martial arts tonight so I will be tied up there.

Station-Ready.jpg

• Like 7

48 minutes ago, Shift838 said:

I have my solder station ready and setup.  No soldering tonight as my son is testing for his Orange belt in martial arts tonight so I will be tied up there.

I didn't know martial arts used ropes in their testing.  I thought he would have just dropped kick you instead of tying you up...…...… :)

• Like 1

I wanted to post and clarify about shipping.  I have had a couple of inquiries where the TI'er was confused about shipping and they stated they did not expect to see a secondary shipping invoice come through after their purchase and assumed their postage was already paid.  

please see the original posting on this message thread HERE

I also stated the same in an email to the Yahoo group as well as within the 'Description Tab' of the IDE Pre-order on my store HERE

I wanted to make sure everyone is aware they will receive a secondary shipping invoice.  This is due to the amount of options that were offered as size and weight can drastically change the shipping charges.

All packages within the US will be shipped USPS priority mail with the required amount of insurance.  Packing supplies such as bubble wrap, static free shipping materials etc are all covered it the shipping cost to help ensure the items arrive safe.

All International shipping will have a tracking # as well and the TI user will be able to select a shipping method before the invoice will be sent.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to PM me.

Thank you,

• Like 1

Ksarul is the first to get his boards shipped.  They are going out tomorrow.  All smoke tests have passed!  I will be putting more together over the days ahead.  The testing takes time as I want to make sure DSR is retained as well as Date and Time.

The good thing is I can build boards while waiting.  I have a pretty good system going and I can get a board built in about 2 hours (this does not include any troubleshooting that may need to happen).  I did not have any issues with Ksarul's boards!

• Like 2

For all users that have ordered the 838 RTC Module:

I am waiting for TI to respond about a batch of BQ4802's i received.

None of them work!

The first 3 that I purchased to prove the circuit worked flawlessly and I have them running in systems now on my production run boards.  The ones here will never change the time, so if you set the date and time, it just stays at that date and time and never counts up.

First I thought I blew a crystal, so I replaced it.  Nada...., so I pulled out my original test board that has a SOIC-28 to DIP28 with a 32.768kHz crystal and CR2032 holder.  This makes for easy testing as I can just pop the BQ4802 in place without any soldering as the adapter is pressured contacts and plug it directly into the IDE cards BQ4847 socket.  And they perform exactly as they do on the production boards. 

so now, I unsoldered a known working BQ4802 from my production run board and placed it in the test board and BAM it works.  So this leads me to believe there is an issue with the BQ4802 chips.  I have filed a request for replacement.  TI has requested various photos of the working and non-working items, shipping labels, lot #, etc, etc, etc..  I am told now that they have to approve my replacement for some reason and I am waiting for a response.

I am told there have not been any changes to the BQ4802 circuitry so it's very likely a bad batch.  At worse case scenario if it cannot be fixed before I have boards ready to ship to users that have ordered the 838 RTC module then I will refund the amount of the 838 RTC module.

If anyone has any questions about this please PM me.

On 7/15/2020 at 3:41 PM, Shift838 said:

Update..

I have received the last of the components to build the cards today.  I am only waiting for the IDE2SD adapters, but I am going to start building as those are not needed to build the cards.  I expect those in next few days.

Station-Ready.jpg

Nice setup!

On 7/19/2020 at 1:30 PM, Shift838 said:

I wanted to post and clarify about shipping.  I have had a couple of inquiries where the TI'er was confused about shipping and they stated they did not expect to see a secondary shipping invoice come through after their purchase and assumed their postage was already paid.  

please see the original posting on this message thread HERE

I also stated the same in an email to the Yahoo group as well as within the 'Description Tab' of the IDE Pre-order on my store HERE

I wanted to make sure everyone is aware they will receive a secondary shipping invoice.  This is due to the amount of options that were offered as size and weight can drastically change the shipping charges.

All packages within the US will be shipped USPS priority mail with the required amount of insurance.  Packing supplies such as bubble wrap, static free shipping materials etc are all covered it the shipping cost to help ensure the items arrive safe.

All International shipping will have a tracking # as well and the TI user will be able to select a shipping method before the invoice will be sent.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to PM me.

Thank you,

Well, I got mine in today. Standard priorty bag package from the Post Office, two wraps of bubble wrap, about a 8.00 package, 50 dollars of insurance is always included in a priority package as standard, I doubt you paid for 6 dollars more insurance as the boards were only 56 for the two. But I digress, my dollars will be spent elsewhere. Thanks for the run though, I now have two blue boards. When I do things for people here I always charge what it cost to ship, never have made a dollar from shipping. Haven't logged on since I was laid off, but finally looked up my password (thanks Chrome for saving out a csv file, before I turned in my company laptop last month.

On 7/15/2020 at 2:41 PM, Shift838 said:

Update..

Station-Ready.jpg

Nice setup!  What brand/model is the hot air station?

What Hakko tips work best for you?

The blue thing by the wire cutters: is that a solder-sucker? how does that work for you?

WHERE IS THE FLUX? you can't have too much flux.

On 7/21/2020 at 10:57 AM, FarmerPotato said:

Nice setup!  What brand/model is the hot air station?

What Hakko tips work best for you?

The blue thing by the wire cutters: is that a solder-sucker? how does that work for you?

WHERE IS THE FLUX? you can't have too much flux.

The hot air workstation is just a cheapy made my a company called NEWACALOX.  Some chinese knockoff of something, but it works well.

yes that is a solder sucker and it could suck up a cat!

I use a no clean flux pen.  If you look close you can see it hiding under the cable of the solder iron.

has far as the Hako Tips i use, the best one that works for me is  with the SMD and through hole is the T18-C08 Shape-0.8C

Chris

• Like 3

i've been working on boards Yesterday and today.  It takes me about 1.5 hours to complete a board (no testing at that point).

I came across a stubborn one that I put together last night (probably should not have as I was tired!).  I have been putting boards together in sets so I can test them in both the 99/4a and Geneve in bulk.

I had an issue with this board as the LED on the card was LIT as soon as you powered up the 99/4A and of course running the IDETEST program would fail stating to check the CRU logic circuit or hex encoder. 

Well come to find out, where a 74ALS02 was supposed to be I had a 74ALS32.  Easy fix, but that took me about 30 minutes to diagnose.  I looked at the CRU circuit thinking it was that, and even swapped out the LS251 and LS259 chips, but it was not.   Some how I dropped a LS32 in the LS04 bin.  I've been looking at every component to ensure I have the right one when i solder it on the PCB, but that one slipped by.

The board is now running it's smoke test and to ensure it will keep time and DSR it will be powered down and removed for a few hours then tested again.

So far all test have passed...

Just thought I would share.

• Like 7

On 7/20/2020 at 7:22 PM, RickyDean said:

Well, I got mine in today. Standard priorty bag package from the Post Office, two wraps of bubble wrap, about a 8.00 package, 50 dollars of insurance is always included in a priority package as standard, I doubt you paid for 6 dollars more insurance as the boards were only 56 for the two. But I digress, my dollars will be spent elsewhere. Thanks for the run though, I now have two blue boards. When I do things for people here I always charge what it cost to ship, never have made a dollar from shipping. Haven't logged on since I was laid off, but finally looked up my password (thanks Chrome for saving out a csv file, before I turned in my company laptop last month.

I'm not going to argue with you at all, it's not worth my time.  I have sent you a email directly and have sent you $5.00 USD back via your paypal account, which I believe is more than fair.  I do believe my shipping fees are adequate for how it's being shipped.

I was able to finish and test about 10 IDE cards this weekend, rain makes for a good solder weekend.  Expect shipping invoices coming this week for those.  Will try to get the invoices out tomorrow or Tuesday for payment.  I try to get to the post office on Wednesdays and Friday's to mail off packages.

I am setting all the CRU's for the ide cards to >1000 and will be pre-loaded with Fred's DSR v14.

I will also try to set the correct time zone for all US buyers.  Please double check your time settings once you receive the card.

• Like 3