IGNORED

Huge Commodore 64 Find at Garage Sale

Hey all, I have been collecting games for a long time and finally got my first C64 console find.  I got everything pictured for $20 total at a garage sale today.  I haven't tested anything out but there is the boxed console, boxed printer, printer paper, boxed floppy disk drive, monitor, controller, tons of bootleg games and about a dozen official disk games.  Only 3 cartridges were included.  

Unfortunately, the wife has been accepting of my large collection but already wanted this lot gone before I even unloaded the car.  I think I have everything for the setup (total noob here) but not sure if stuff like the printer and bootleg disks are worth holding/selling/trading or if I should just take them to Goodwill.  Any tips for setting it up would be great as testing this seems daunting.  Thanks!

20200611_204709.jpg

20200611_204607.jpg

20200611_204627.jpg

• Like 1

Find a desk to place the unpacked computer on.  Set aside the disk drive for now.  I would first test the computer and monitor.  Be sure computer power switch on C64 is in off setting before plugging in power adapter.   I would also recommend using a power strip and not plugging anything directly into the wall power.  For now leave the printer in the box set aside.  There should be a cable connecting the computer to the monitor.  Before powering the unit on, of course plug in all the cables including the joystick, in port 2 (side rear), for most games.  If all goes well you should see the familiar Commodore Basic screen 38911 bytes free with a ready prompt.  Next step would be connecting the disk drive....

Let me know if you have any more questions from there.  I would be interested and pay a reasonable price should you decide to sell.  

10 hours ago, Gray Defender said:

Find a desk to place the unpacked computer on.  Set aside the disk drive for now.  I would first test the computer and monitor.  Be sure computer power switch on C64 is in off setting before plugging in power adapter.   I would also recommend using a power strip and not plugging anything directly into the wall power.  For now leave the printer in the box set aside.  There should be a cable connecting the computer to the monitor.  Before powering the unit on, of course plug in all the cables including the joystick, in port 2 (side rear), for most games.  If all goes well you should see the familiar Commodore Basic screen 38911 bytes free with a ready prompt.  Next step would be connecting the disk drive....

Let me know if you have any more questions from there.  I would be interested and pay a reasonable price should you decide to sell.  

Thank you!  I set it up and used a tv using RF instead of the monitor (power cord on monitor is frayed but it did turn on).  I never got the basic screen to show up.  The TV would just go black when the C64 was on.  I did put a cartridge in and got this image to flicker with no sound.  Starting to think something is faulty with the C64.

20200612_001922.jpg

My suggestion is - if you don't have one already - get a multimeter and the pinout for the power brick, then verify all the voltages coming out of the brick. I pulled my C64 out of storage last year and the brick had died. Killed the C64 dead the first time I turned it on. I ended up having to replace a fried PLA, SID and one DRAM chip. It was quite the learning experience to diagnose and fix, but the whole thing had worked great 10 years before when I put it away and I'd never have had to go through all the trouble had I checked the PSU first last summer. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It is unfortunately true that the old PSUs are too dangerous to just randomly test.  Ray Carlsen (mentioned above) sells a test thingy, but you'd be better off buying a new power supply.  If you plan to try and repair then you'll probably end up buying another breadbin so a verified PSU is good in that case.  Even if you just dump this stuff on someone else, it'll come in handy for them and they will want it.

• Thanks 1