IGNORED

Rayman: Rare or merely sought after?

eightbit

What the heck is up with this game? I remember having multiple copies of it in the past and almost having to give it away when I sold my previous collection. It is a great game on the Jag no doubt, but $200 great? I have almost completed what the "official" Jag collection is in my eyes and while I knew games like Air Cars and Atari Karts would be costly, I never expected to have an issue obtaining Rayman again.

But, yeah. A loose cart sold last week for $170 round about. I was not at all willing to pay that. Now, there is a complete cart on ebay with a shredded label that is sitting at $180+ with days left.

WTF?

It's certainly not rare, at least when compared to most other Jag games, it's just one of the more highly sought after titles. The same actually goes for AvP, which has also generally gone for higher than normal prices despite being one of the more common Jag games.

• Like 1

I agree w/Sauron, if you read or watch a video of best Jag games you're probably going to find both Rayman and AvP in there. Best still has NOS AvP carts which goes to show that it isn't a very rare title and over the years I've seen plenty of NOS Rayman boxes from sellers in the US and Europe. Not that boxes necessarily equate to rarity. Considering all the hype BITD around Rayman (and the Rayman conspiracy theories), you have to imagine the production numbers were fairly high by Jag standards.

• Like 1

FWIW, it looks like prices are coming back down from insane in general, that Rayman auction aside.  I auctioned a few of my duplicates last week and (unfortunately for me, good for buyers and sanity in the market), got only reasonable prices.  I *almost* bought a few others, but they just went a dollar or two past my threshold, rather than 10s of dollars like most things were a few weeks ago.

Luckily my Atariage store order arrived today, so I'll be enjoying some Rebooteroids and World Tour Racing on repro pro controllers here shortly ?

Good hunting!

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, cubanismo said:

FWIW, it looks like prices are coming back down from insane in general, that Rayman auction aside.  I auctioned a few of my duplicates last week and (unfortunately for me, good for buyers and sanity in the market), got only reasonable prices.  I *almost* bought a few others, but they just went a dollar or two past my threshold, rather than 10s of dollars like most things were a few weeks ago.

Luckily my Atariage store order arrived today, so I'll be enjoying some Rebooteroids and World Tour Racing on repro pro controllers here shortly ?

Good hunting!

Rebooteroids is excellent..been playing it for weeks ;) My repro controller should be here tomorrow as well!

• Like 3

Sorry to have hijacked your thread, but I have to follow up and say my daughter and I have played about 45 minutes of Rebooteroids Kombateroids mode so far, and the hype is true: This game is awesome!  Thanks for the great father/daughter experience @CyranoJ.  We played a little World Tour Racing too, but after a few laps she demanded we go back to Rebooteroids ?

The pro controllers worked great, and they feel great in hand.  Fortunately mine didn't have any of the button pad misalignment issues I've seen reported.  They seem to just work out of the box.  I'll have to test them out more with some games that make use of all the buttons later though.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, cubanismo said:

Sorry to have hijacked your thread, but I have to follow up and say my daughter and I have played about 45 minutes of Rebooteroids Kombateroids mode so far, and the hype is true: This game is awesome!  Thanks for the great father/daughter experience @CyranoJ.  We played a little World Tour Racing too, but after a few laps she demanded we go back to Rebooteroids ?

Thats great! Glad you are having fun, keep making memories :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Strange as it is, it seems like the Rayman print run might have been a bit anemic. Perhaps Ubisoft knew better than to request a massive order of carts, even though it's a great game that on any console would have warranted a large run. Wouldn't surprise me if it's was somehow Atari's fault, like they couldn't produce enough carts or something to meet demand. I wouldn't say that it's Atari Karts or original Air Cars rare, but it doesn't turn up as often as you'd expect being Rayman. There are much lesser acclaimed titles on the console that seem to be in way higher supply.

I always found it odd that alien Vs Pred was expensive as I assumed anyone who bought the Jaguar years ago would have bought that game so most second hand jags would have come with that game as standard so i was always surprised it was expensive...Rayman I always thought would have been a bit more expensive as it would have not have sold as well as AVP... Rayman, AVP and Atari Karts do always seem expensive and even when I started collecting Jag games in 2015 those were the more expensive ones back then too... Even when Telegames in the UK had lots of old stock when I started collection, Rayman and Atari Karts were not available and AVP was the most expensive they sold at £90 for new and sealed... 

18 hours ago, cubanismo said:

FWIW, it looks like prices are coming back down from insane in general, that Rayman auction aside.  I auctioned a few of my duplicates last week and (unfortunately for me, good for buyers and sanity in the market), got only reasonable prices.

I think this has more to do with the current global economic situation we're in, what with lock-downs and dramatically increased unemployment as a result of it. People are in hoard-mode and are not spending as much as they typically are. The people likely buying games right now, are the ones who are able to, and are taking advantage of the lower prices.

Really, the demand for Jaguar games (and I think we've talked about this before, queue MadMan) has a lot to do with collectors... either those who originally had them, or those who are just collecting video games in general and see the Jaguar as a system you can "complete."

In 10-15 years, I suspect demand for the Atari Jaguar will have waned... though, we'll still think the cost of games are expensive because of inflation.

On 6/12/2020 at 5:08 PM, cubanismo said:

FWIW, it looks like prices are coming back down from insane in general, that Rayman auction aside.

Thing is, looking at past Rayman auctions, they all have been going for $200 or more. So, its not really just that one auction:

image.thumb.png.e6293c798abc52ef2887d897e014d133.png

And it goes on for the past few months. This would certainly lead someone to believe it is "worth" around $200. Just really weird. It seems as soon as people like MyAtari (B&C) or Best Electronics run out of any given Jag item the price skyrockets. I know B&C had this title not too long ago for $50 IIRC.

But no way in hell I will ever spend $200. I would personally have to really think through paying $100 for it if I had that opportunity.

I think I caved a few years ago for AtariKart and Rayman at a price each of 70/80US$ loose carts and I can tell you it was NOT worthy, to me.

I wanted to play them and so I did, but in the end I am no fan of either so ... it was a little of obsession that I got out of my system but that's about it.

(yes that same obsession led me to have both the 1MB and 2MB of Cybermorph ... thankfully that was just a 10US$ gamble anyway ... and again it led me to buy a JagCD a few months earlier for 120US$ and I really really should have learnt my lessons but oh noooo .... that was not enough ... at least CD backups were readily available to me so at ~10US$ each official CD release [there's 13 of them I think] I got that out of my system ...  gosh ... talking about disappointment)

I really like Rayman personally. The game as I remember was hard as nails. I never completed it. So, in the meantime I have broken my "no repro" oath to myself and purchased a repro copy for now just so that I can revisit and play the game without emptying my bank account. And, before anyone asks, no I will not link to where I got it. I am not at all a fan of reproduction carts as you can tell by my post, but at this point it is the only reasonably priced way to play it....until the GD is available that is. And of course as soon as I can find a "real" version of the cart that is not super ridiculously priced I will jump on it.

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

I think if I have to play Rayman may as well be on Saturn or PS1, yes it looks nice on the Jag (it's a good title for the platform to be sure) but it looks as nice on those other systems and it's way way more accessible (at least to me).

Wrt repro I am pretty sure the only one I have is Battlesphere Gold and thank god I could find it that way as I don't like it one bit, so once more for me not at all worth it.

I believe the titles I ended up enjoying the most on the Jag are probably Wolfenstein 3D (but the 3DO version is crazy good too) and Doom (no contest here), as well as Ruiner Pinball (this one got me), Super Burnout (the way corner physics behaves is weird to be sure), T2K (in small doses, a little too trippy) and Raiden ... that pretty much sums it up for me.

• Like 1

I am now addicted to Ruiner Pinball....funny that you mentioned it. Since I was trying for the high score club on this (no chance in hell I can beat those contenders!) I really got into this. I do like Pinball Fantasies as well, but Ruiner has got this darkness that is kind of strange for a pinball game. Give it a bit of play and it is damn good. It is an exclusive to the Jag if I am not mistaken. One of the games I play the most to be honest.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, eightbit said:

I am now addicted to Ruiner Pinball....funny that you mentioned it. Since I was trying for the high score club on this (no chance in hell I can beat those contenders!) I really got into this. I do like Pinball Fantasies as well, but Ruiner has got this darkness that is kind of strange for a pinball game. Give it a bit of play and it is damn good. It is an exclusive to the Jag if I am not mistaken. One of the games I play the most to be honest.

Yup exclusive and with a bizarre "chained multiball" that if you manage to trigger is ... something else ... pinball nirvana so to speak.

If you get "in the zone" with it you can spend 30+ minutes in that continuous chained multiball ... the sucker though crashed on me during a particularly intense session that I never managed to reproduce ... the score was beyond belief to me that obviously never got saved ... and of course I only have my big mouth as proof which amounts to nothing really ... I tried for a few months after that episode and never got to trigger the sequence of events leading to that.

• Like 1

A few years ago, I happened to stumble upon a loose Rayman cart on eBay for $50. Of course, I bought it, since of course I had been looking for it for a while. I guess I'm glad I did. Luckily I don't really care about boxes all that much. In my storage room I have a bunch of great looking boxes for mostly Lynx games I used to have from when I used to have my Lynx collection. They're just sitting there. That's what boxes do. You can't play a box. So why have one?

• Like 1

On 6/13/2020 at 12:30 PM, 82-T/A said:

I think this has more to do with the current global economic situation we're in, what with lock-downs and dramatically increased unemployment as a result of it. People are in hoard-mode and are not spending as much as they typically are. The people likely buying games right now, are the ones who are able to, and are taking advantage of the lower prices.

Really, the demand for Jaguar games (and I think we've talked about this before, queue MadMan) has a lot to do with collectors... either those who originally had them, or those who are just collecting video games in general and see the Jaguar as a system you can "complete."

In 10-15 years, I suspect demand for the Atari Jaguar will have waned... though, we'll still think the cost of games are expensive because of inflation.

Sorry to go off topic. I'm not buying from overseas right now (with only a few exceptions), so unaware of ebay's things.

Is that really what's going on on ebay? Prices are actually coming down?

I'm sure most of you know Lukie Games, I used to buy stuff from them on a monthly basis. Great prices, super good customer suport. 

Since lockdown started, they've been doing the di#k move as major @$$ho###.

Everything went up 50% or higher (somecases 100%) in just 1-3 months.

A Snes that once was 80 bucks is now 150 bucks.

Games that were 20 bucks are now 40, 60, 70 bucks.

Conker's bad fur day used to be 100 bucks, it's now 180.  Etc, etc.

Questioned them if that was due to shortage of stock, or just greedly cashing in on gamers who are locked at home, and buying stuff left and right (those who had no economic impact). They didn't care to reply (and they always reply for everything else).

Greedy @$$### move if you ask me, flipping the finger to customers who supported them for months or years (like me).

Point is: I'm surprised to learn things are going down on ebay, I had the opposite impression?   Is this a good time to buy Jag games?

6 hours ago, marcio_napoli said:

Greedy @$$### move if you ask me, flipping the finger to customers who supported them for months or years (like me).

I've got no clue on who "Lukie Games" is but .. if I may, why do you get so upset?

The COVID will be taken care of (if not believe me what "Lukie Games" does and does not is irrelevant) and at that point prices will go back to normal-ish, so just wait it out? At any rate your money to them are worth the exact same as the next guy so get off your high horse please.

Do you have a gaming emergency right now? I don't think so, so those prices do not matter to you, you won't have to pay them and in the end you'll forget it ever happened.

1 hour ago, phoenixdownita said:

I've got no clue on who "Lukie Games" is but .. if I may, why do you get so upset?

The COVID will be taken care of (if not believe me what "Lukie Games" does and does not is irrelevant) and at that point prices will go back to normal-ish, so just wait it out? At any rate your money to them are worth the exact same as the next guy so get off your high horse please.

Do you have a gaming emergency right now? I don't think so, so those prices do not matter to you, you won't have to pay them and in the end you'll forget it ever happened.

Why do I get so upset, it's in the part you quoted. 

Been their customer for a good amount of time (and money). It may not be everyone's idea of running a business, but it is mine (as a customer and having a business to run) to not flip the finger to customers. To not use the heavy situation we're all living as excuse to rip off customers.

But you're right, I won't buy from them for a long time during and after covid.

Who is Lukie Games? As far as I can tell, one of the more popular online offers for retro gaming. I believe they're well known worldwide.

But even if you don't care what they do, it may have a lasting effect over us all.

In a worst case scenario (which is not impossible to happen), many retro gaming stores will bump up prices together.

These prices may stay after covid, as the market as a whole sets in a new price standard.

A game that once was 40 bucks now becomes 80.

EDIT:

Just checked their page, and it looks like they've been receiving criticism left and right, as prices appear to have gone through a (modest) reality check.

Zeld for N64 for example, used to be 40 bucks.

It went up to 80, and now sits at 60.

Conker was 100 USD. Went up to 190 and now sits at 148.

Still ridiculous, but that may prove they're getting criticism.

Edited by marcio_napoli
  • Like 1