IGNORED

Rayman: Rare or merely sought after?

eightbit

21 hours ago, marcio_napoli said:

Sorry to go off topic. I'm not buying from overseas right now (with only a few exceptions), so unaware of ebay's things.

Is that really what's going on on ebay? Prices are actually coming down?

Yes and no. I'd say things are starting to go back to normal, but at least during the first month of COVID really hitting (perhaps late April to mid-May), I saw prices on non-essential consumables go down. The reason for this is two-fold:

1 - People who are getting laid off and need money to pay bills...

2 - People who are fearing being laid off, and are selling ahead of time to ensure their financial stability.

Supply / Demand always takes effect there, and that is... more people selling (to make money), and fewer people buying (to save money). It's during these times when / where the real deals can be had. Competition is *ALWAYS* better for the consumer, and *ALWAYS* worse for the competition. 

Alternately, there are some who will try to take advantage of such a situation, and for the most part, I don't have any problem with this. People selling emergency supplies and / or essential products at inflated prices... I see that as unethical. For non-essential products (video games, etc...) I have no problem with people inflating these prices. Buyers want the best price, and sellers want the biggest revenue... we both want the same thing... and that is to keep as much money as possible. But when they do this, they have to balance price increases with the effect it has on their loyal buyers.

21 hours ago, marcio_napoli said:

Is this a good time to buy Jag games?

My personal opinion... if you're asking this, then you may want to spend a little bit more time shopping around and deciding whether or not it's really worth it. Buying Jaguar games is like a poor-man's version of collecting Bentleys. You don't really need either... and they're really just a waste of money. If you want to waste the least amount of money possible, then do your research. I saw prices going down slightly as people focus on more real-world concerns (which as I stated above, will bring in more quantity).

My advice, prioritize what you want, and come up with a price range you're willing to pay and condition you're willing to accept. Set up an eBay search, and just wait. There's enough of these games that it's not like you won't be able to get one 1-5 years from now. So wait it out. 

Most important thing I've learned in my 42 years on this planet... you want to be prepared for a down-turn. Having money when everyone else does not is uniquely responsible for building more millionaires in the USA than anything else. It's when builders are blowing out brand new beach-side condos for $30k a pop, when they were previously selling for $500k two months before, that you'll wish you had saved your money for an economic down-turn.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, leech said:

I literally bought Rayman for a dollar.  Brand new.

Ugh.  I don't think I ever bought a game for a buck except for maybe a 2600 game.  Bought my Rayman probably 15 years ago for $30.  Still not as good as one dollar though.

8 minutes ago, joeatari1 said:

Ugh.  I don't think I ever bought a game for a buck except for maybe a 2600 game.  Bought my Rayman probably 15 years ago for $30.  Still not as good as one dollar though.

It was when the Incredible Universe was going out of business.   They marked all their inventory way down so I ended up buying every Jag game they had that I didn't already own, so I think like 5 carts?  Since they were not discounted in the system, the clerk had to enter them all manually.  I did not notice I only paid a dollar for it until I had gotten home, as the game was marked at 10.

That is the only reason I got it for a buck!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, phoenixdownita said:

Do you have a gaming emergency right now? I don't think so, so those prices do not matter to you...

I'd like to add on the above.

I'm not sure how many of you are building collections now, by that I mean: collections that do not come from your kid days.

Am I right to assume most of you have all your Jag stuff from back in the 90s?

Well, not me.  I had them all, nearly every 90s console and tons of games, but due to being stupid, I sold, lost or even got my house (and games) robbed.  

Every single collection I'm building up again from scratch (luckily my interest goes only up to the 64 bit gen).

Covid aside, there is a race, yes there is.

Retro is coming back so hard, name every game you can think of, buy it now. Because in 6 months it's not the price anymore you think it is now.

Retro being popular, You Tubers throwing gas, and the whole 90s generation being now 30-45 yo, build your collection as fast as your pockets allow.

I started with the Jag in 2018 (even though I had it in the 90s, even had the CD add on). So glad my collection is already 90% built, because even common-as-dirt Iron Soldier is getting expensive.  

Snes is getting expensive (a ton of games got to the 60-80 USD mark), Genesis too... they all are.

The Saturn, for example, I already quit.  Games that used to be "affordable" are now 150 USD. Saturn is out for me.

If you're back into retro, get now before it costs you triple.

I know how ridiculous that sounds, but yeah.

4 minutes ago, marcio_napoli said:

I'd like to add on the above.

I'm not sure how many of you are building collections now, by that I mean: collections that do not come from your kid days.

Well, not me.  I had them all, nearly every 90s console and tons of games, but due to being stupid, I sold, lost or even got my house (and games) robbed.  

Every single collection I'm building up again from scratch (luckily my interest goes only up to the 64 bit gen).

Retro is coming back so hard, name every game you can think of, buy it now. Because in 6 months it's not the price anymore you think it is now.

Retro being popular, You Tubers throwing gas, and the whole 90s generation being now 30-45 yo, build your collection as fast as your pockets allow.

I started with the Jag in 2018 (even though I had it in the 90s, even had the CD add on). So glad my collection is already 90% built, because even common-as-dirt Iron Soldier is getting expensive.  

Snes is getting expensive (a ton of games got to the 60-80 USD mark), Genesis too... they all are.

The Saturn, for example, I already quit.  Games that used to be "affordable" are now 150 USD. Saturn is out for me.

If you're back into retro, get now before it costs you triple.

To be fair, the SNES games new were 60-80 dollars...  so at least they seem to have just bounced back to 90s prices. 

I was certain Rayman was a common game, but according to AtariAge, it has a Rarity if 6 (Rare+).

I am still stuck on the level with magical notes!

Haha yeah, I think I'm not even there.  Wish this game was easier, as it's gorgeous to look at but too hard for me.

Rayman is not exactly rare, you see them flying around on ebay. What is rare is getting a great price on it.

It took me 3 tries to get one :D     Bought a broken original cart from UK (gladly the seller was super honest and refunded me no questions asked), then I got a repro, and then I got a working original cart from Holland. 

Wish I played it more, but man it's too hard!

EDIT:

I'm scared to look what prices a Jag commands these days.  Paid 200 bucks for mine, but I still wanna get another unit in the future, for backup.

Affraid to even check ebay for prices, hope it's not in the 300 mark already.

Edited by marcio_napoli

1 hour ago, leech said:

The Saturn, for example, I already quit. 

Word.  I'm doing Jaguar from scratch myself, though I have all the original run games I'm looking for at this point.  Lucky for me, my brother and I bought a Saturn used in the 90's, and not only was he smart enough to hold onto it, he picked up all the good games, including Virtua Cop with a pair of light guns, about a decade back before the retro craze kicked off.  Going to be good times going through that with him next time I visit.  We got a lot of mileage out of it back in the day before PC FPS and RTS took over mine and his respective gaming lives.

Really, the only cheap Rayman original right now, is the PS1 greatest hits version. If you check ebay, the US Saturn version recently sold for $135, and a PS1 longbox version of Rayman sold for $69. That's pretty high. I think the game has garnered enough of a good reputation over the years to make it sought after, but not rare, similar to good shmups.

There's also the fact that Ubisoft keeps making new Rayman games, so who knows, that might spark interest in the old stuff too.

19 hours ago, leech said:

To be fair, the SNES games new were 60-80 dollars...  so at least they seem to have just bounced back to 90s prices. 

I was certain Rayman was a common game, but according to AtariAge, it has a Rarity if 6 (Rare+).

I am still stuck on the level with magical notes!

Rayman gets harder and harder. I did a %100 completion on it years ago and it was one of the most frustrating experiences. There are hidden electoon cages that require blind leaps of faith to find, those were the most difficult. Worth playing just for the gorgeous sprites though, it never lets up on the graphics.

3 hours ago, Kobra Kai said:

Rayman gets harder and harder. I did a %100 completion on it years ago and it was one of the most frustrating experiences. There are hidden electoon cages that require blind leaps of faith to find, those were the most difficult. Worth playing just for the gorgeous sprites though, it never lets up on the graphics.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the sequels, but never have beat the original.

On 6/23/2020 at 6:32 PM, marcio_napoli said:

Nope, got my first N64 in 2009-ish and snowballed down from there. Stopped in 2016 more or less due to having a kid. I got the Jag towards the end of my HW spree so maybe 2013-ish, can't remember.

On 6/23/2020 at 6:32 PM, marcio_napoli said:

None of it makes it an emergency. If you want to play the games there are tons of ways (including flash carts) so that takes care of the actual playing.

If you want a wall of boxes, I don't know what to say ... again not an emergency so buy slower, instead of 3 buy 1 ... take your time.

It is an obsession at a certain point, yes years ago it was cheaper but still an obsession, I got "lucky" that I cared more for the HW than the SW (and flashcarts were coming of age) but then again I could have done without a lot of consoles I have no appreciation for (and will sell once Covid gets under control and I have the time).
I also got tired as I was going back to the 8bits so I stopped after a few popular ones as I was getting diminishing returns so to speak.

I got most exotics but no Pippin, no Super A'Can, no Virtual Boy, no Tandy VIS, no LaserActive and I made peace with it as already with the rest I don't exactly play that much either ... and in all honesty "the chase" was  more fun that the prize ... after a few of those I got tired as well.

Don't worry you'll make it through, maybe buy some of the homebrews for the Jag here on AA, those are not exactly scarce yet and they do have box and manuals to put on that wall. Maybe focus on one system only (Jag why not!). I bet you can get the Jag out of your system with about 2K$ for decent games (don't try to "catch them all" ... I believe I own 20-25 Jag original carts only and I'm doing just fine, once the GD is in my hands I'll be happy to part with them).

44 minutes ago, phoenixdownita said:

Nope, got my first N64 in 2009-ish and snowballed down from there. Stopped in 2016 more or less due to having a kid. I got the Jag towards the end of my HW spree so maybe 2013-ish, can't remember.

None of it makes it an emergency. If you want to play the games there are tons of ways (including flash carts) so that takes care of the actual playing.

If you want a wall of boxes, I don't know what to say ... again not an emergency so buy slower, instead of 3 buy 1 ... take your time.

It is an obsession at a certain point, yes years ago it was cheaper but still an obsession, I got "lucky" that I cared more for the HW than the SW (and flashcarts were coming of age) but then again I could have done without a lot of consoles I have no appreciation for (and will sell once Covid gets under control and I have the time).
I also got tired as I was going back to the 8bits so I stopped after a few popular ones as I was getting diminishing returns so to speak.

I got most exotics but no Pippin, no Super A'Can, no Virtual Boy, no Tandy VIS, no LaserActive and I made peace with it as already with the rest I don't exactly play that much either ... and in all honesty "the chase" was  more fun that the prize ... after a few of those I got tired as well.

Don't worry you'll make it through, maybe buy some of the homebrews for the Jag here on AA, those are not exactly scarce yet and they do have box and manuals to put on that wall. Maybe focus on one system only (Jag why not!). I bet you can get the Jag out of your system with about 2K$ for decent games (don't try to "catch them all" ... I believe I own 20-25 Jag original carts only and I'm doing just fine, once the GD is in my hands I'll be happy to part with them).

Hi, yeah, I totally understand your point, you're right!

It becomes an "emergency" (not that it really is), due to particular circumstances I face here. Super understand it may not apply to US or European folks, you guys enjoy a much better situation.

I live in Brazil, which is a $hit hole when it comes to imported goodies. Dollar conversion + taxes make everything 5x to 8x more expensive for me than it is for you guys.

So, a 100 USD game, for me that's a 500 bucks game (considering 1 R$ is equally hard to earn for me as 1 USD is for you). If it gets taxed at the Customs, then it becomes a R$ 800 game.  

If that sounds crazy, I literally paid R$ 800 for a Neo Geo CD controller the other day...  again, currency conversion and taxes. Third. World. Sucks.

The race part happens because I must get every game I want before it breaks the 80-100 USD mark, when it becomes unreasonable anymore.  For US folks, if YTubers inflate a game from 50 to 90, that's just 40 bucks increase, no big deal. That's just a decent lunch money.

For me that's a R$ 200-300 jump.

I quit the Saturn because of that, nearly every game crossed the 100 USD barrier.

Luckily my Jag collection was built 2 years ago, and amazingly many games could be found under 45 bucks back then, and even AVP and Rayman I got winning auctions on ebay.  Super glad the few games left to buy are not really major obsessions haha (Iron Soldier 2, Towers 2?).

Oh forgot to add, these collections are 100% meant to be played.  All games are bought cart only and played a lot:D

But to my pockets despair, I'm the must be real hardware, real carts kind of guy.

Wish emulators and flashcarts did it for me, unfortunately they don't.

OTOH, looking with a passion for the Mister Jaguar core, hope it gets developed to perfect results.  That would be an amazing backup.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, marcio_napoli said:

I live in Brazil, which is a $hit hole when it comes to imported goodies. Dollar conversion + taxes make everything 5x to 8x more expensive for me than it is for you guys.

So, a 100 USD game, for me that's a 500 bucks game (considering 1 R$ is equally hard to earn for me as 1 USD is for you). If it gets taxed at the Customs, then it becomes a R$ 800 game.  

If that sounds crazy, I literally paid R$ 800 for a Neo Geo CD controller the other day...  again, currency conversion and taxes. Third. World. Sucks.

Yeah that sucks ... but in the end if you really have to have real HW (carts and all) then you have to have the real dough to pay for it, there really are no two ways about it.

I suggest you give flashcarts a try ... you're not helping any old-time devs by buying at inflated prices ... but it's your money so do as you please.

I decided I wanted to play the games and not just pay the games, the Jag set me back the most due to lack of "backup support" (first time I paid basically original retail price for JagCD unit and also a couple/three carts that I really wanted ... Atari Karts, Rayman among them, but at least for the dreaded JagCD I managed with "backups" and glad I did as I don't think I like any of the OG titles so in the end I don't play any of them).

13 hours ago, phoenixdownita said:

Yeah that sucks ... but in the end if you really have to have real HW (carts and all) then you have to have the real dough to pay for it, there really are no two ways about it.

I suggest you give flashcarts a try ... you're not helping any old-time devs by buying at inflated prices ... but it's your money so do as you please.

I decided I wanted to play the games and not just pay the games, the Jag set me back the most due to lack of "backup support" (first time I paid basically original retail price for JagCD unit and also a couple/three carts that I really wanted ... Atari Karts, Rayman among them, but at least for the dreaded JagCD I managed with "backups" and glad I did as I don't think I like any of the OG titles so in the end I don't play any of them).

Yeah, super agree.

A lot of times I think "why didn't I got back to gaming earlier? Like ten years ago when the retro craze wasn't so insane?". Then I remember things happen when they're supposed to happen, and life follows that rule with great passion. 

Ten years ago I still had my N64, and although I liked it, it wasn't like my 2nd all time favorite console like it's now.  Now it's worth its weight in gold to me, but it wasn't ten years ago.

Same with the Jag. I commented on other threads I felt pity of it back in the 90s, such poorly developed games (mostly). Now it's probably my favorite console ever, go figure :D haha

I hate that gaming leaves me with empty pockets, but that's also part of the prize, we value more what was hard to earn, I guess?

Although you're right, I should take a serious look at the Jag GD thread.  If anything for backup purposes or even to protect my physical collection. Will take a look on that.

You commented you had the more exotic consoles back in the day, did you have the 3DO in 93?

If yes, what are your thoughts on it?

EDIT again xD

About Jag homebrews, I'd be the first in line to buy a dozen copies if we had some beat em ups.  Yup, I'd pay 120 USD with a smile for a Jag arcade perfect port of Double Dragon, for example :D

BTW, I didn't forget about trying to provide art for a Jag streets of rage (in case you've seen that thread). It's just that I'm stuck in a loooong @ss project which takes every second of spare time, but I'll do it for sure! And who knows, maybe a developer will be interested in using that in a Jag beat em up, who knows  

Edited by marcio_napoli

What is funny and odd is that I have a lot of games that are MUCH more difficult to obtain for the Jaguar (many Telegames titles, Another World, and some others) but games that are supposed to be more common (Syndicate, Rayman, NBA Jam) I don't have. Not that I didn't come across a few chances to get them....at a price ;)

I am I think four or five games away from a full set of at least the games that were released during the Jag's lifetime. I honestly thought completing the set would be a breeze. It was in the late 90's but I just didn't focus on it all that much back then for collecting.

8 hours ago, marcio_napoli said:

You commented you had the more exotic consoles back in the day, did you have the 3DO in 93?

Oh no, my collecting started in 2008-ish and kind of stopped (slowed down to a crawl really) in 2016.

During those ~8Y I purchased quite a few "exotic" and they don't get much play or appreciation (aside NeoGeo AES, that thing is a beast, I used it for long time only via a 161-in-1 + converter that I eventually sold here on the forums, I now have a NeoSD Pro and albeit expensive I somehow feel it's been worthy ... as always it's all relative).

Bitd I really only synchronized with consoles at the PS1/Sat then N64 timeframe, before that I only had a VCS 2600 when I was a kid in the very early 80s. Growing up in Europe it was home computer a go-go.

Wrt 3DO .... it's alright, I purchased it around the same timeframe as the Jag and a CDi (towards the end of my HW obsession), I believe its 3D offering is of higher quality to the Jag (NFS, RoadRash 3d) but all considered I don't think I care too much for its games for whatever reason. 3DO Doom is bad (in postal stamp screen size mode it's actually relatively fast) but its Wolfenstein 3D is good .... I think I prefer its version of Dragon's Lair and Space Ace to the JagCD ones (the codec used on the JagCD has this jaggedness ... it's hard to describe).

So told I don't think I would buy it again once I sell it. Same goes for a few others "I had to have".

I believe I could probably reduce my HW pre 1999 to a minimum with AES, SNES, MD (+32X maybe), TurboDuo, Saturn, N64 (I have a PS2 for that PS1 hitch that honestly has never come up). I am not 100% sure yet I'd want to keep my Jag or my 7800 although from time to time they are fun (I admit I finished Kasumi Ninja once).