What's Your Favorite NES Tetris Game?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Vote Here

• Bulletproof Software (Famicom)
    • Nintendo
    • Tengen

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

17 minutes ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Nintendo version and music sucking do not belong in the same sentence...

The Nintendo version doesn't have Technotris: https://youtu.be/qjUA4LvgRzw

Edited by Magmavision2000
  • Like 1

I bought the Tengen version first and thus never tried the Nintendo version until years and years later (because why would I buy TWO tetrises :lol:).

I have to say I didn't really like the Nintendo version.. it seemed way too unforgiving with the block placement. But maybe that's me.  The Tengen version was pretty fun gameplay-wise, but the 2 player was always kind of odd since it was just simultaneous play without any competing/interaction. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/12/2020 at 10:57 PM, NE146 said:

I bought the Tengen version first and thus never tried the Nintendo version until years and years later (because why would I buy TWO tetrises :lol:).

I have to say I didn't really like the Nintendo version.. it seemed way too unforgiving with the block placement. But maybe that's me.  The Tengen version was pretty fun gameplay-wise, but the 2 player was always kind of odd since it was just simultaneous play without any competing/interaction. 

Glad I'm not the first one to throw that out there for once.  I adored the Gameboy game, still do, but the NES one I thought was crappy.  I never could quite explain it, but they don't play the same.  Maybe it's how it handles the pieces, whatever, wish I knew, but I detest it.  First chance I had to snap up the Tengen one I did as I did like the arcade one Atari did and it's fairly solid.  Sure it has nice music, but that's the one thing the NES/GB had better, that official/unofficial Music-A masterpiece everyone knows and loves.  Korobeiniki is the name in russian at least.

Keep in mind, there is a Tetris hack out there on the NES game, seems it was originally intended to have a 2P mode and it was gutted out perhaps rushed to market due to Tengen?  Someone hacked it back in and filled in the missing bits to make it functional a few years or more back, might be worth a peek if someone cares.

I bought the Tengen one years back, always oreferrimg it to the Nintendo version because it was two player and was like the arcade.

That all changed after I watched the Tetris documentary with Thor Aackerlund and company. The Nintendo version is the superior playing version, and now I find the Tengen one sluggish.

The Tengen is collectible and looks great, sounds great, but for sheer competition and high scores, it doesn't compare to the Nintendo version. 

• Like 1

I bought the Tengen version years ago and then bought the Nintendo version later after I started actively collecting NES games. I never knew that there was a third version.

I do know that we played the heck out the Game Boy version when it was released. My roommates and girlfriend (wife now) all bought Game Boys just so we could battle each other.

On 6/13/2020 at 5:58 PM, The Usotsuki said:

That's because the arcade version was developed by Tengen.

We knew. The arcade was the only version any of us saw until the home port. By the time Nintendo's version came out it wasn't popular and usually unrented, while the Tengen version continued to be rented out every single day.

Looking at the polls right now and it seems to be like a pineapple or no pineapple on pizza argument. I played the Tengen version on an emulator yesterday and I still couldn't get into it, it feels slower and it looks ugly IMO, although it does have a better soundtrack than the Nintendo version.

Tengen Tetris never gets as fast as Nintendo Tetris. Good players can marathon it pretty easily. Nintendo Tetris is much more of a challenge, and is the one that they play in serious competitions. Also seems like it's the version that more people are getting into thanks to Youtube, CTWC, Joseph Saelee, etc.

Aesthetically I much prefer Nintendo Tetris. Tengen Tetris feels like the tacky bootleg by comparison. I also don't like how it doesn't hide the playfield when you pause.

1 hour ago, mbd30 said:

Tengen Tetris never gets as fast as Nintendo Tetris. Good players can marathon it pretty easily. Nintendo Tetris is much more of a challenge, and is the one that they play in serious competitions. Also seems like it's the version that more people are getting into thanks to Youtube, CTWC, Joseph Saelee, etc.

Aesthetically I much prefer Nintendo Tetris. Tengen Tetris feels like the tacky bootleg by comparison. I also don't like how it doesn't hide the playfield when you pause.

I find the single-tile tacked together to mimic block shapes of the Nintendo version offputting and feels like they tried to cram the game into a tiny pre-Famicom sized cart.

The proper shapes of the Tengen version are iconic, especially the square. It's the kind of feature you'd expect naintained in a 16-bit vetsion.

The bar graph also feels like the kind of special superfluous touch that you rarely got in NES games. The little shapes make it look and feel nicer than the arcade version.

The NES version doesn't have a unified aesthetic  The main play screen feels like some kind of bland computer and the cinematics just random.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Black_Tiger said:

I find the single-tile tacked together to mimic block shapes of the Nintendo version offputting and feels like they tried to cram the game into a tiny pre-Famicom sized cart.

The proper shapes of the Tengen version are iconic, especially the square. It's the kind of feature you'd expect naintained in a 16-bit vetsion.

The bar graph also feels like the kind of special superfluous touch that you rarely got in NES games. The little shapes make it look and feel nicer than the arcade version.

The NES version doesn't have a unified aesthetic  The main play screen feels like some kind of bland computer and the cinematics just random.

I find the solid shapes of the Tengen version more offputting, especially how they all change to the same color in the stack. It may be because I'm so much more used to the Nintendo version.

As for the cinematics, the endings when you beat B type are kind of cool. I'm not a fan of the game over cinematic in A mode. It becomes an annoyance and I wish you could just press start to skip it.