IGNORED

Besides Yars' Revenge, what other 2600 games do YOU want to see 5200 versions of???

BIGHMW

No need to suggest Yars' Revenge, as @playsoft has already fulfilled my 4-year-long wish for one a few weeks ago, with this gem of a version, originally made by @Thelenfor the Atari 8-bit computer lineup back in 2009 for a 4K minicomp-style contest entry, called Yar's Strike, I have included it here for all of you to play and/or check out:

Now, for other games I'd like to see, here they a few:

Phoenix

Gravitar

LadyBug

Star Castle

Any more ideas guys??? I'm gonna hit the sheets and I'll read your comments and/or suggestions when I wake up tomorrow morning.

Good gaming and goodnight!!! :) 

Yar's Strike.bin

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, edladdin said:

Trak-Ball games:

Bowling 

Crossbow

Golf

Dual-Stick:

Dark Chambers 

Robot Tank

Battlezone

And, at last, a sequel to Basic Math:

Advanced Math 

Crossbow? Well, the 5200 doesn't have the hardware to support light guns and light pens so the best way to do that would be to port the XE Game System version over to the 5200, get it to work with bankswitching due to the lack of 64K standard RAM [and/or support a hypothetical easy RAM upgrade], and throw in Trak-Ball support.

There's already a port of Battlezone but I'm not sure about it supporting dual joysticks. And the XE Game System also has a version of Dark Chambers to port over.

For 2600 ports to the 5200, I'd like to see Star Wars - The Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars - Jedi Arena. Maybe throw in G.I. Joe - Cobra Strike.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AverageSoftware said:

Demons to Diamonds.  I think this is a hugely underrated 2600 game, and I've considered doing a 5200 version myself.  I would add four player support and call it "Demons 4 Diamonds."  Ha!

That version would be great, it should also have Trak-Ball support and utilize the analog capabilities the CX52 joysticks incorporate as well. It worked with Missile Command, Gorf, Kaboom! and Super Breakout among others so why not.

Edited by BIGHMW

On 6/14/2020 at 1:18 AM, Lynxpro said:

Crossbow? Well, the 5200 doesn't have the hardware to support light guns and light pens so the best way to do that would be to port the XE Game System version over to the 5200, get it to work with bankswitching due to the lack of 64K standard RAM [and/or support a hypothetical easy RAM upgrade], and throw in Trak-Ball support.

There's already a port of Battlezone but I'm not sure about it supporting dual joysticks. And the XE Game System also has a version of Dark Chambers to port over.

For 2600 ports to the 5200, I'd like to see Star Wars - The Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars - Jedi Arena. Maybe throw in G.I. Joe - Cobra Strike.

I'll leave it up to the programming geniuses as to how to go about it, but yeah - IMHO Trak-Ball would be a great way to play Crossbow.

Likewise, I want to be able to drive both the FPS tank games with the dual stick controls that we saw on the arcade original of Battlezone. 

• Like 2

On 6/14/2020 at 7:00 AM, Atariboy2600 said:

For the life of me why no one asking for Activision's Ghostbusters for the 5200? I would love to see someone posted the Atari 8-Bit version to the 5200 and I even made mockup box and label for the game.

5200 ghostbusters box.png

5200 ghostbusters cart.png

I haven't really paid attention, since I don't have that many carts for the 5200 yet, but is that the style of the activision ones?  Pretty sweet.  I always liked the Parker Brothers ones for the A8, and it seems they did the same style for the 5200, just fatter. 

Well, I don’t own many 2600 games.

(I plan to get River Raid 2 and Empire Strikes Back some day, and would like to see 5200 versions of these).

But a 5200 version (perhaps with a few additions to gameplay), for 

‘Tunnel Tunner’ 

would be cool (if done well, of course).

I think BattleZone 2600 looks and feels better than the somewhat slow 5200 vector-version.

(I’ve heard there’s an optional BattleZone-version for the 5200, but haven’t seen gameplay of it).

I also got ‘Solaris’, but haven’t gotten around to play it much.

Since the 5200 has many top-space shooters (I include here the super-cool ‘Robotron’-space-shooter ‘Blaster’ here, I’m not sure I really miss ‘Solaris’.

So 

Tunnel Runner

River Raid 2

Empire Strikes Back

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2020 at 7:21 AM, Cafeman said:

https://atariage.com/forums/blogs/entry/13384-reactors/

Don't misunderstand that older blog entry,  I am not personally working on it anymore, but would enjoy an arcade faithful  and expanded gameplay 5200 version. 

Yes, I too would like to to see a faithful arcade port of Reactor; I played it on the VCS religiously, and had an opportunity to play the coin-op version in some arcade in the Denver airport eons ago. . . those Gottlieb coin-op games were a class-act.  I also thing track-ball support would really work well with this title.

New original titles. I'm personally burned out on Video Game Karaoke. Is yet another (lesser) version of any classic game really necessary? With RetroPie, or MAME, or Mister...we can play the actual ROM versions at home now. 

Something original with a new game design and mechanic. Preferably something for the trackball controller which is under served. Something NEW and exclusive which plays off of the strengths of the system.

1 hour ago, Airshack said:

Something original with a new game design and mechanic. Preferably something for the trackball controller which is under served. Something NEW and exclusive which plays off of the strengths of the system.

5200_MagicalFairyForce_Cart_1.jpg

• Like 4