IGNORED

Besides Yars' Revenge, what other 2600 games do YOU want to see 5200 versions of???

BIGHMW

E.T. and Raiders of the Lost Ark. Seriously I loved these games back in the day. The games would have benefited greatly by better graphics. I dunno though. Any game on the 5200 sucks ass unless you have something other than the stock controllers to play the game with!

2 hours ago, christo930 said:

That is a beautiful version, based on the arcade, which was based on the Atari 2600 game.

Nope.  Just need a good simple grudge match with one fireball, no extra bells and whistles.  No dragons.  Just four castles and one fast moving fireball.

Then again, I guess for the 5200 you could just use the 2600 adaptor for this.

4 minutes ago, doctorclu said:

Nope.  Just need a good simple grudge match with one fireball, no extra bells and whistles.  No dragons.  Just four castles and one fast moving fireball.

From what I can tell, that is what it is.   The dragon just starts the ball moving and then flies off the screen.

Also, I think Warlords arcade was first.

13 minutes ago, christo930 said:

From what I can tell, that is what it is.   The dragon just starts the ball moving and then flies off the screen.

Also, I think Warlords arcade was first.

Warlords was one of the earlier console to arcade conversions

desert falcon i guess? ooh indy 500 i want a top view racer night driver would be good as long as it doesnt look like a blue wheelchair driving between yellow crayons

i've wanted a pinball but not david midnigt madness pinball construction set looking thing

Edited by bohoki

• 1 month later...
On 7/6/2020 at 10:00 PM, doctorclu said:

Warlords was one of the earlier console to arcade conversions

I remember reading somewhere that Atari held up the release of the 2600 version to get the arcade version out first! 

Makes sense because arcade buyers probably would have passed on it if they knew a home version was out there and nobody would play it!

I had a chance years ago to buy a cocktail version at a shop that sold used items for $100.00. Didn't have the money at the time!

I do have a cocktail Galaxian that I'm going to put M.A.M.E. into and hook up a couple Atari 2600 USB joystick connectors and be able to play 4 players sitting around it.

1 hour ago, phuzaxeman said:

Would also love to see Bruce Lee and Karateka 8bit to 5200.

Pretty sure I would buy both of these on cart.  Kareteka would be interesting to do the control scheme.  Of note, I had no idea until a month ago you could play it with a joystick.

1 hour ago, leech said:

Pretty sure I would buy both of these on cart.  Kareteka would be interesting to do the control scheme.  Of note, I had no idea until a month ago you could play it with a joystick.

I didn't know either about the joystick on the Karateka.  They would have to do it right on the controls because the 7800 version was terrible.

Just now, phuzaxeman said:

I didn't know either about the joystick on the Karateka.  They would have to do it right on the controls because the 7800 version was terrible.

Yeah, I learned there was joystick support after playing the Apple II version.  Then found it also worked on the Atari one.  It was also crap, as you NEED the 6 keys for high/med/low puch/kick...

2 minutes ago, buzz_n64 said:

Ports would be nice for these 2600 games, but enhancements would be ideal-

Double Dragon

Princess Rescue

Double Dragon would be an interesting one.  As pretty much any of the 8bit ones that were released (with the small exception of the SMS version) were pretty crap.  That game didn't really get a good home release until the 16 bit systems for sure.  Would be really interesting to see how the A8 could handle a proper port.  (also kind of amazes me the 2600 had a version!)

On 7/6/2020 at 9:09 AM, moycon said:

E.T. and Raiders of the Lost Ark. Seriously I loved these games back in the day. The games would have benefited greatly by better graphics. I dunno though. Any game on the 5200 sucks ass unless you have something other than the stock controllers to play the game with!

So you want E.T. for the 5200..... how about this one, you're in luck, as this game was converted from the original 8-bit port a few years back, here it is down below.

E.T.bin

• Like 1

On 7/6/2020 at 12:09 PM, moycon said:

Yes,  I always wanted to see what a Raiders game would be like with proper graphics.

On 8/15/2020 at 1:54 PM, leech said:

Kareteka would be interesting to do the control scheme.  Of note, I had no idea until a month ago you could play it with a joystick.

I had no idea until just now that you could play it without one!   ?

On 8/16/2020 at 9:00 PM, leech said:

E.T. for the 8bit was far superior to the 2600 travesty.  was actually playable.

But it's not even the same game, is it?

7 minutes ago, zzip said:

I had no idea until just now that you could play it without one!   ?

But it's not even the same game, is it?

Ha, yeah it seems no one knew you could play it with the joystick! 

Karateka Joystick.png

Edit: Yeah E.T. on the Atari 8bit is no where near the same game on the 2600. 

Edited by leech

3 minutes ago, leech said:

Edit: Yeah E.T. on the Atari 8bit is no where near the same game on the 2600. 

I have no idea how to even play the 8-bit version of ET.  I tried just now, and you play as Elliot, and I got stuck on the street within 30 seconds of starting.  Guess it's one of those games where you have to read the manual like the 2600 version :)   

But I did read the manual for the 2600 version and know how to play and finish it.   It's like a glorified version of Haunted House-   grab the three pieces of the object and escape while avoiding the "spooks"

1 minute ago, zzip said:

I have no idea how to even play the 8-bit version of ET.  I tried just now, and you play as Elliot, and I got stuck on the street within 30 seconds of starting.  Guess it's one of those games where you have to read the manual like the 2600 version :)

But I did read the manual for the 2600 version and know how to play and finish it.   It's like a glorified version of Haunted House-   grab the three pieces of the object and escape while avoiding the "spooks"

If I recall (I mean it's been a few decades), the 8bit version was the same thing, you just had different map layouts and a few other things you had to do?  but pretty much you had to assemble the phone so E.T. could phone home.  Ha, reading manuals... no built in tutorial?  What is this madness?