IGNORED

Besides Yars' Revenge, what other 2600 games do YOU want to see 5200 versions of???

BIGHMW

18 minutes ago, Cafeman said:

Which is more fun?  I've played both, but it's been too long and I can't remember the 8-Bit version.

I remember the 8bit one being far less annoying.  Seemed the biggest complaint about the 2600 version was always the collision detection on the pits.  You'd be not touching them and still fall in.  Don't think there were pits on the 8bit.  I'm sure I played it more though, as I do recall beating it at least once.

2 hours ago, leech said:

I remember the 8bit one being far less annoying.  Seemed the biggest complaint about the 2600 version was always the collision detection on the pits.  You'd be not touching them and still fall in.  Don't think there were pits on the 8bit.  I'm sure I played it more though, as I do recall beating it at least once.

There is a patched version online that makes the pits much less sensitive.   Might be good to try for anyone who finds the game unplayable because of the pits.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cafeman said:

Which is more fun?  I've played both, but it's been too long and I can't remember the 8-Bit version.

IDK,  I describe how to play the 2600 version below.  Should be enough to get by without the manual,  if someone can explain how to play the 8-bit version to me, I'd appreciate it :)

There's basically six areas in the game,  the forest where the ship drops ET off,  4 screens of pits, and a screen with two institutional buildings (FBI and science institute,  and Elliot's house.

as you walk around, you will see different icons appear at the top.  These tell you what happens if you push the button and make ET extend his neck.

The arrow icons will teleport you to the screen in the direction pointing,  the question mark will tell you if any of the pits on screen contain an object you need, the one that looks like a building with pillars will send the enemies home.   There's one that looks like a "frog" or a "bug" which is the spot where you have to "phone home" once you build the transmitter.    And somewhere in the forest will be a landing pad icon which is where you have to be to get picked up by your ship and win the game.   There's also a "Call Elliott" icon and an "Eat Reeses Pieces for energy" icon.   The location of these icons is randomized every time you play so no two games are exactly the same.

You have to find the three pieces of the transmitter in the pits.   You can either use the question mark icon to find them, or fall in randomly and look.   To get out of the pit, extend your neck and float up.   One of the pits contains a wilted flower that you can optionally revive for a bonus.

The pit screens will also have a dot that is a reeses piece.  You can either eat these for energy, or if you get 9 of them, you can call Elliott, and he will come and take your Reeses Pieces home, then come back and give you one of the missing pieces.

You are pursued by and FBI guy in orange, and a scientist in white.   The FBI guy will take one of your parts and go back to his office before returning again.  The scientist will carry you to his office, but is otherwise harmless, just annoying.  You can leave the office immediately, or escape him while he carries you.

One thing to know is that two characters can't be on the screen at the same time, including Elliott.   Sometimes when you send one home, he will get stuck at the bottom of the screen because another character is trying to get on your screen.   You can use this to your advantage.

Finally when you build the transmitter, go to the Call ship icon (looks like a frog/bug),  hopefully you found it.   I don't think you can't call if one of the NPCs are on the screen.   Once your call,  a timer starts.   You have to get to the landing pad icon in the forest by the time the timer runs out to be picked up.  (you can call the ship again if you miss).   If any of the NPCs is in the forest, the ship won't come,  so try to occupy them on another screen before going to the landing pad

You fail if you run out of energy.   

• 4 weeks later...

Surround.

. . . With some interesting power-ups to bamboozle your opponent or allow a player to teleport and start a new trace. . . stuff like that. . . throw in some interesting playfield objects/enemies to annoy all opponents. . . up to 4 players (mwhaa-ha-ha-ha-haaaaa. . . ).  Solid black-matte background with some nice colors, robust sound and animation. . . choice of icons and colors for PC sprites and traces respectively.