IGNORED

rechargeable power paks for controllers.

bradhig1

• 2 weeks later...

I bought 4 duracell batteries with wall charger years ago. They last I'd guess about 20+ hours. I have 2 in the controller and 2 in the charging base at all times. I find this is the best solution.

• 1 month later...
On 6/25/2020 at 12:52 PM, Zeptari1 said:

I bought 4 duracell batteries with wall charger years ago. They last I'd guess about 20+ hours. I have 2 in the controller and 2 in the charging base at all times. I find this is the best solution.

I agree. Get you some (4) rechargeable batteries and rotate as needed. I use Eneloop batteries. They hold up a few years which works for me. When they stop holding a charge. buy 4 new ones. Easy peasy Halo squeezy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Amazon usually has the Panasonic K-KJ17MCA4BA on sell for about $17. Includes charger and 4 2100mAh eneloop AA rechargeable batteries.  You cant go wrong with Eneloop's I have some over 10 years old still going strong. 

Stay away from the rechargeable power packs advertised for xbox controllers. Most are cheap cells that will only last a few cycles or have very low mAh rating. Most also have false mAh advertisements on most. 

A set of eneloops in my Xbox controller will last about 25-30 hours before needing to recharge. 

21 hours ago, oakcitycomics said:

Amazon usually has the Panasonic K-KJ17MCA4BA on sell for about $17. Includes charger and 4 2100mAh eneloop AA rechargeable batteries.  You cant go wrong with Eneloop's I have some over 10 years old still going strong. 

Stay away from the rechargeable power packs advertised for xbox controllers. Most are cheap cells that will only last a few cycles or have very low mAh rating. Most also have false mAh advertisements on most. 

A set of eneloops in my Xbox controller will last about 25-30 hours before needing to recharge. 

I recently purchased that same set (shipped and sold by Amazon to ensure it was legit) and my experience was not the same. Even with those batteries charged fully the controllers reported the batteries were at "medium" level. If I pop two fresh duracells in however, they reported as "full" level. I tested all four of those eneloop batteries in two controllers too. Maybe it has something to do with the controller version. Both controllers are the new model. One that came with the Series X and a shock blue model that is also of the new type.

That said, I returned that eneloop set.

2 hours ago, eightbit said:

I recently purchased that same set (shipped and sold by Amazon to ensure it was legit) and my experience was not the same. Even with those batteries charged fully the controllers reported the batteries were at "medium" level. If I pop two fresh duracells in however, they reported as "full" level. I tested all four of those eneloop batteries in two controllers too. Maybe it has something to do with the controller version. Both controllers are the new model. One that came with the Series X and a shock blue model that is also of the new type.

That said, I returned that eneloop set.

You might of got fakes. Amazon does unfortunate mix inventory sometimes depending on the distribution center. You cant guarantee ship/sold amazon are always legit. I got screwed buying Gillet Razors. There are sites online to help you identify real eneloops form fakes. Sadly they are highly counterfeited due to the name brand recognition. Best Buy also usually carries that set in store and will price match. In my XSX controllers I'm still using the same set I put in on 12/11 and I've done no less then 30 hours on Cyberpunk so far. They still show half full on the home screen. 

1 minute ago, oakcitycomics said:

You might of got fakes. Amazon does unfortunate mix inventory sometimes depending on the distribution center. You cant guarantee ship/sold amazon are always legit. I got screwed buying Gillet Razors. There are sites online to help you identify real eneloops form fakes. Sadly they are highly counterfeited due to the name brand recognition. Best Buy also usually carries that set in store and will price match. In my XSX controllers I'm still using the same set I put in on 12/11 and I've done no less then 30 hours on Cyberpunk so far. They still show half full on the home screen. 

Ehh, not so sure about that. I am pretty good at detecting counterfeit products (I work in a field that encounters this on a daily basis). I am fairly certain these were actual Panasonic product, sealed in such a way and the packaging was legitimate. And when it is actually fulfilled by Amazon directly the likelyhood that it was pulled from a private vendors bin is remote. Not saying that could not happen, but it is remote.

Have you tested these batteries with the new Seriex X/S controller?

2 minutes ago, eightbit said:

Ehh, not so sure about that. I am pretty good at detecting counterfeit products (I work in a field that encounters this on a daily basis). I am fairly certain these were actual Panasonic product, sealed in such a way and the packaging was legitimate. And when it is actually fulfilled by Amazon directly the likelyhood that it was pulled from a private vendors bin is remote. Not saying that could not happen, but it is remote.

Have you tested these batteries with the new Seriex X/S controller?

Oh yea not saying you got fakes just tossing out ideas. The eneloops I have in my controller now I got in 2018 ( I write with marker on the side purchase dates) so maybe they changed something. Not herd that they have but who knows these days with everyone cutting cost. 

Yes the set I'm using is in the new XSX Shock Blue controller. I've not tested them with the black one that came with my XSX I left that controller in the box

5 minutes ago, oakcitycomics said:

Oh yea not saying you got fakes just tossing out ideas. The eneloops I have in my controller now I got in 2018 ( I write with marker on the side purchase dates) so maybe they changed something. Not herd that they have but who knows these days with everyone cutting cost. 

Yes the set I'm using is in the new XSX Shock Blue controller. I've not tested them with the black one that came with my XSX I left that controller in the box

Next time, charge them fully and then insert them and see what they say. See if they say full or medium. I thought that was really weird. I mean, they worked fine...but the battery charge indication on screen was not indicating they were full. That was with both sets of batteries and on both controllers. Just weird.

4 minutes ago, eightbit said:

Next time, charge them fully and then insert them and see what they say. See if they say full or medium. I thought that was really weird. I mean, they worked fine...but the battery charge indication on screen was not indicating they were full. That was with both sets of batteries and on both controllers. Just weird.

I'll toss them in my OPUS BT-C3100v2 and do a C/D/C cycle in the morning and report back. 

• Like 1

Just tested freshly charged eneloop in to my Shock Blue controller and no issues work as should.

However I did also pop the same set of batteries into the black one that came with my XSX it shows the batteries at 50%  but worked fine. After a few min of playing when I went back to the home screen it prompted me to update the firmware on the controller. After I did that it then showed the batteries at 100%.

I know since launch i've had two firmware controller updates with my shock blue controller. So its possible it was just a firmware issue. My guess is the controller was basing battery health off of cell voltage. Since Nimhs typically range in the 1.2-1.5v vs 1.5/1.6 on full alkaline