IGNORED

TI + TIPI interesting RFI

ElectricLab

I was listening to 20m HF this morning in my lab and also had my TI + TIPI running. I was running Stuart's web browser whihc was parked on myti99.com in the group chat, and as it auto-refreshed periodically, it made some amusing sounds on the radio. See video :)
Even with the heavy shielding of the TIPI and PEB, it still makes a lot of RF in close proximity.

Youtube Link

Edited by ElectricLab
Removed non-functioning uploaded media
  • Like 3

Interestingly back in the day, a bunch of guys in one of the first computer clubs found that if you placed a radio next to the old Altair 8800, it would make noise.  A guy wrote a program that played "Daisy" at one of the meetings (sort of like the Hal 9000 in 2001 a Space Odyssey) which promptly blew all the members away.

The video below is a re-enactment...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ElectricLab said:

Even with the heavy shielding of the TIPI and PEB, it still makes a lot of RF in close proximity.

Now all you need to do is write a program that can decode the near field transmission to read what's being sent.  It's a method that spies have used in the past to steal classified information.

• Like 1

A lot harder today - systems are much lower power and there's a lot more noise around them. I doubt you could pick up a keyboard in the same room anymore, without removing the WIFI and cell phones.

Of course, when the WIFI and cell phones are so much easier to compromise, there's also no need to. ;)

• Like 2