IGNORED

Why are third party carts so difficult?

I got a loose frogger 2 threedeep of ebay for 29 dollars and 53 cents.  came today.  Labels is almost perfect.

But all I get is a black or green screen.  Or sometimes a black screen with white line half inch thick running down right side of screen.

After some fiddling it worked.  Then I turned it off and back on.  Same black screen.  Not working.  Why are third party carts such a pain?

I don't have Threedeep but I've got a number of Parker Brothers, Activision and CBS carts for my 5200 and they all work just fine. Could be the cart needs a really good cleaning. Q-tips dipped in 90%+ isopropyl work wonderfully, Deoxit sprayed right onto the contact even moreso. 

• Like 2

On 6/13/2020 at 10:09 PM, 0078265317 said:

Now its glitching again.  Turns on but when move forward video glitches and resets.  Frogger 1 is ok.

I will try cleaning tomorrow.

Try playing another Parker Bros cart for a bit then try Frogger 2, see if that helps.
And Activision carts i fold up a piece of paper and wedge it between the cart and cart solt.

Many old carts, unused for perhaps decades, may need to be

a) inserted, pulled out gently for 2-5 minutes (20-50 times),

b) have the circuits cleansed with isopropanol

c) when working, have console and cart on for several hours so electricity and/or connectivity will be restored.

All these metals accumulate thin layers of oxidations/rust, which often must be cleansed away or ‘burned away’ (having the console + cart on for several hours).

However, you may have been unlucky and gotten carts that’re damaged on the inside...

... then its unfortunately not that much to do about it ...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Giles N said:

Many old carts, unused for perhaps decades, may need to be

a) inserted, pulled out gently for 2-5 minutes (20-50 times),

b) have the circuits cleansed with isopropanol

c) when working, have console and cart on for several hours so electricity and/or connectivity will be restored.

All these metals accumulate thin layers of oxidations/rust, which often must be cleansed away or ‘burned away’ (having the console + cart on for several hours).

However, you may have been unlucky and gotten carts that’re damaged on the inside...

... then its unfortunately not that much to do about it ...

But PB carts are glued shut are they not?

3 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

But PB carts are glued shut are they not?

Good point.

You may try to ask around all these ol’ timers with tons of experience...

Anyway... if you get it to run; let the console and game be on for several hours; it’ll restore connectivity to some extent.

You may also try to insert/remove the cart gently for 2-5 minutes.

40 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

Looks precisely the same.

Clean the contacts, let it run for a few hours and do the gentle insert-remove for 2-5 mins , and see if it improves.

I’ve gotten lots of old (mostly used 7800 carts up and working this way, but also NES and Sega Master).

I have actually been pretty lucky with my 5200 carts...

Edited by Giles N

1 hour ago, 0078265317 said:

Those lil' black lines on your contacts? Not supposed to be there- that is the oxidation/corrosion mentioned. Basically, keep cleaning your cart. A lot. Over & over. I have literally spent DAYS with new carts doing this. Clean. Play. Clean. Play. 

If you want to speed up the process, you can try a corrosion remover/polish of some kind- deoxit, brite boy, white vinegar... but keep in mind these can have the potential to take off a microscopic layer of the contact metal. It's usually fine, but there is a VERY small chance you could take out too much, sever a connection, & kill your cart. Do a lil' research on your chosen method before you do forward! Otherwise- just keep cleaning. You don't have to remove the lines entirely- just enough to get the connection solid again.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HoshiChiri said:

If you want to speed up the process, you can try a corrosion remover/polish of some kind- deoxit, brite boy, white vinegar... but keep in mind these can have the potential to take off a microscopic layer of the contact metal.

Deoxit isn’t corrosive, nor abrasive and it works great for this kind of thing. Spray a tiny bit into a plastic cup, dip a cotton swab into it, then wiped both sides of the cartridge PCB edge connector. Spray a small amount into your 5200 cartridge connector. Insert and then remove the cart about half a dozen times to spread the cleaner across the metal surface. Remove cart and wait 5 - 10 minutes to allow the cleaner to evaporate. Play your game. :)

22 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Deoxit isn’t corrosive, nor abrasive and it works great for this kind of thing.

That's why I specified 'may' & doing some research- I don't want anyone scrounging around for what's on hand & opting for brasso & a brillo pad, for example.

I might need to look into some deoxit myself- I have a bottle of brite boy for the extreme cases (only needed it once so far), but it'd be nice to have a step between that & iso.

Deoxit is great - way more effective as a solvent and cleaner than even 90% iso, but also a lot more expensive. However, a little bit goes a long way. 

Now on the other hand, anyone tries to bring Brasso, Bartender’s Friend or any other abrasive to my cartridges will pull back a bloody stump. If you have a cart with gold contacts, the gold layer on PCB contacts is only microns thin and can be worn away very quickly. Gold is basically non-reactive anyway (which is why it shines!) so you’re only cleaning off dirt and crud. Tin contacts can develop a layer of surface oxide but Deoxit removes it better than anything else I’ve tried with no abrasives needed - just wipe it a Q-tip or a nylon toothbrush for surfaces you can get into with a Q-tip (like a really dirty cartridge connector or a row of chip legs that would shred a cotton swab).

In addition to the need to clean the contacts of old carts, I have found especially with Activision cartridges that I need to stuff a little wedge of folded paper behind the cartridge for it to properly make a good connection in my 5200. Otherwise the cart tends to wobble a little bit.