IGNORED

Atari storage solution.

Mr Oni

Hi I have the Ultimate cartridge which is fine in that it lets me play roms on my 800 xls. But the thing that is annoying is I can't store anything on it. I just want to be able to save some basic programs and game files. I don't want to use old drives. What is the best solution?

Ultimate cartridge does not save...

and you stated you don't want old disk drives or hard drives...

that leaves you with the common choices for today...

SIO2PC (rs232 or usb)

SIO2SD

SIO2USB

SDRIVE

SDRIVE-Max

FujiNet

other wise you'd be using a totally different cart solution like

AVG (or AVG + SIO)

SIDE CART

etc..

there's more of course and others will chime in with there devices etc.

Edited by _The Doctor__

On 6/13/2020 at 9:44 PM, Mr Oni said:

Hi I have the Ultimate cartridge which is fine in that it lets me play roms on my 800 xls. But the thing that is annoying is I can't store anything on it. I just want to be able to save some basic programs and game files. I don't want to use old drives. What is the best solution?

SIO2SD works well and emulates floppy drives up to 16MB in size. 

Since you have an XL, a PBI hard disk controller is an option.  IDE controllers also work with CF cards with a simple adapter.  I'm happy with IDEPlus and a dual CF adapter.  

Depends what you're doing I guess.  If you just want to emulate floppies, like the bleep noises and play from and save to disk images stored on an SD card the SIO2SD or SDrive-Max are probably your best bet.

On 6/16/2020 at 2:36 AM, kogden said:

SIO2SD works well and emulates floppy drives up to 16MB in size. 

Since you have an XL, a PBI hard disk controller is an option.  IDE controllers also work with CF cards with a simple adapter.  I'm happy with IDEPlus and a dual CF adapter.  

Depends what you're doing I guess.  If you just want to emulate floppies, like the bleep noises and play from and save to disk images stored on an SD card the SIO2SD or SDrive-Max are probably your best bet.

well like if i play a game that needs to be saved i just need that abiilty. I never had an atari computer back in the day and im not familiar with the way the original drives worked I just know its not the same as commodore

2 minutes ago, Mr Oni said:

well like if i play a game that needs to be saved i just need that abiilty. I never had an atari computer back in the day and im not familiar with the way the original drives worked I just know its not the same as commodore

The SDrive-MAX is a good all-in-one solution for that. Put the game disk you want to play into the D1: slot, put a game save disk into the D2: slot, then boot your Atari. When you're prompted to insert the save disk, if the game allows you to specify two drives, you're already good to go. If it wants you to swap disks, you can do that on the SDrive-MAX touchscreen by just tapping the disk slot entry. Easy peasey. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Oni said:

Ugh. You said the C= word. We have beaten the Commies in EVERY way. SIO speed, CPU speed, Sound, Graphics. Please don't compare us to Commies.

There is NO comparison. WE win, Commies LOSE.

Game over.

2 hours ago, Kyle22 said:

Ugh. You said the C= word. We have beaten the Commies in EVERY way. SIO speed, CPU speed, Sound, Graphics. Please don't compare us to Commies.

There is NO comparison. WE win, Commies LOSE.

Game over.

lol what is this 1983!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 6/14/2020 at 8:46 AM, Mr Oni said:

S drive max sounds like the right one thanks!

Consider carefully between the S Drive (Max) and the SIO2SD.  Not saying that one is preferable to the other, but some folks prefer the features and functionality of one over the other. I have both S Drive Max and Lotharek's SIO2SD, and I like his better.

Another alternative not mentioned is The MyIDE-II cartridge from Mr-Atari and Atarimax.  It is the "Swiss army knife" of cartridges that might suit your purposes well.  It also gives you a portable "hard drive" which blows away SIO speed.

https://www.atarimax.com

http://www.mr-atari.com/

But for me, it's APE (or RespeQt).  That does mean you need a PC (frequently a small, older Windows laptop) on your desk.  But that also means you get many extra features, if they are of value to you.  And there is lots of good information in the "Topic for newbies" pinned on the main A8 forum menu.

Lots of choices, and lots of features to decide on.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr Oni said:

lol what is this 1983!

For Kyle, yes :)

Nothing wrong with the old C64...

As for the actual question, yes, like others had said, SD-Max should suit you or maybe the AVG, for me in your situation I'd go Sd-Max, just make sure its a fully fitted one with (argh, whats the name) an UNO device and resistor in (just ask the seller), its nice to look at, does all you want and did I mention its nice to look at :)

Super easy to use, supports High Speed SIO (with a suitable OS in the machine).

• Like 3

@Mr Oni I own, and have gotten operational, just about every modern storage device made for the Atari 8-Bit.  For my money, the Atarimax MyIDE-II gives me the best overall experience.  It took some serious brain and a lot of help from the community to get where I wanted to go, but it's definitely my current "go-to".  Here's why I love it:

1. Highly customizable using Maxflash Flash Studio

2. Attractive, functional boot menu

3. FAT32 partition with easy load from PC

4. Boot CAR, ATR, and XEX

5. SpartaDOS setup with tools in CAR:

I will agree, though, that if you want quick and easy, SIO2SD or S-Drive MAX will be the way to go.

And a quick plug from my man Lotharek.  He does excellent work, his prices are fair, and he ships quick.  He's my one-stop; not to impugn any others, of course.

Edited by pixelmischief
  • Like 3