IGNORED

Intellivision overlays collection ?

Yoruk

Hello there,

Is there a good online source for high-res or medium-res scans of game controllers overlays ?

I've seen some topics on the subject here, like this one :

Or online databases here (low res unfortunately): http://www.intvfunhouse.com/overlays/table.php

I can understand that some people spends some time to make them high-res or to scan them and they doesn't want to put put them online, or maybe there are some copyright reasons...

I'm searching some because I have some loose games without overlays, I wanted to try DIY printing...

Any ideas ?

Thanks ?

There's a reasonable quality and complete collection of scans here.

http://www.intellivisionbrasil.com.br/Menu_Jogos.htm

The old intellivisionlives website posted high quality images, that were probably used to produce their flashback overlays.  You can buy those overlays here.

https://blueskyrangers.com

Edited by mr_me

All intellivision cartridges published by Mattel Electronics came with overlays.  I think that's also the case for all Imagic and Activision cartridges and the two interphase cartridges.  World Championship Baseball from INTV and coleco's Mouse Trap also came with overlays.  And add World Cup Soccer and Championship Tennis to the list.

Edited by mr_me

45 minutes ago, Yoruk said:

By the way, did actually ALL games had overlays ? Or just a couple of them ?

Some companies created overlays, and some didn't.  The best way to know whether there's overlays is to know what company published it.

Mattel Electronics: yes

INTV: no

Sega, 1 game: no

Dextell, 2 games: yes

Interphase, 2 games: yes

Atarisoft, 3 games: no

Parker Brothers, 6 games: no

Activision, 7 games: yes

Coleco, 8 games: no, except for Mousetrap

Imagic, 14 games: yes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zendocon said:

Some companies created overlays, and some didn't.  The best way to know whether there's overlays is to know what company published it.

Mattel Electronics: yes

INTV: no

Sega, 1 game: no

Dextell, 2 games: yes

Interphase, 2 games: yes

Atarisoft, 3 games: no

Parker Brothers, 6 games: no

Activision, 7 games: yes

Coleco, 8 games: no, except for Mousetrap

Imagic, 14 games: yes

What about Intellivision Inc.?  

Ok I manage to DIY create a nice batch of overlays.

1 : I downloaded the missing models of my collection. I quickly loaded each one into Gimp to fix cropping, orientation and clean dirty spots.

2 : I created a layout pattern in Inkscape to put the overlays together and resize them at the good size (55*90mm). I also added cutting lines.

image.thumb.png.0c63216cf2701c08a4577205f1358b84.png

3-Printed them out, then laminated. I noted that a standard lamination, with a transparent sheet on both sides of the paper give a result too tick, so I use only one side of the laminated sheet. The result is quite nice, even if the result is not completely flat.

image.thumb.png.edfa2258df2fd45148a553926fc6d6a0.png

4-Used a paper cutter to cut out each overlay, and use scissors to cut the round edges.

image.thumb.png.0433b9c127755a642b370e5ca81c39e5.png

And here we are ! Fits perfectly into the controller.

image.thumb.png.5f5f4d4f73b6e8e55f9d5d466db7ecce.png

• Like 5

Very nice pick on using the Error Poker and Blackjack. I have found that printing them on Plain Paper Copier Transparency's and then I use the Avery 5165 full sheet labels to stick the Transparency on is the best.  Oh yeah, you need to reverse the image before you print it so when you stick it on the white Avery label it protects the print. Works great. Laser printer works best.

frogger2.jpeg.b0c7ae2316c7e8214fd659e4bc8a0dea.jpeg

pacman.jpg.fc9ed0f662737677eb01cda46fc5b231.jpg

Edited by Humblejack

I did what you did about...15 years ago using a laser printer, standard copy paper and cheap-o single sheet laminate I bought at Staples.

All those years later...and they still look great.  No issues at all and some are heavily used as you can see from the reflective shots.  

Simple old school ingenuity goes a long way....

IMG_20200623_093054495.jpg

IMG_20200623_093110458.jpg

Edited by IMBerzerk

On 6/22/2020 at 1:31 AM, Humblejack said:

Very nice pick on using the Error Poker and Blackjack. I have found that printing them on Plain Paper Copier Transparency's and then I use the Avery 5165 full sheet labels to stick the Transparency on is the best.  Oh yeah, you need to reverse the image before you print it so when you stick it on the white Avery label it protects the print. Works great. Laser printer works best.

frogger2.jpeg.b0c7ae2316c7e8214fd659e4bc8a0dea.jpeg

pacman.jpg.fc9ed0f662737677eb01cda46fc5b231.jpg

So you laser print the reversed image directly onto the transparency paper, the use the Avery sticker as the backing?  Does the transparency paper come in different thicknesses?  Which do you use?  I might try this.

1 minute ago, JasonlikesINTV said:

Hank, did I understand this process correctly?  Just trying to figure out how everything goes together.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Pretty simple.  Back in the day I used WordPerfect and then MS Word took over the world.  If you are really good you can put 9 overlays per page but I can only get 8.  I usually print 4 different sets of overlays per page and then reverse the page and print.  When you put the backing sheet on (assuming you put the printed side of the transparency down) and make sure you don't let it curl up, then all is well. I got a 1/4 round corner punch at the local craft store to do the corners.  Here are a few of the one's I've printed out and cut into sets but haven't done the final cutout.

100_8945.thumb.JPG.905fe4afd76e32ab14d7995325dc1718.JPG

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...