IGNORED

Skunk - Bricked?

GadgetUK

Hi, I was recently given a Skunk board and I think it is bricked / faulty but wanted to ask for advice.

I plugged it into the Jag and powered it on - red screen of death. ie. Says Jaguar on a red screen, nothing more.  Cleaned the contacts, re-tested - just the same.  PCB looks fine.  It was in a shell, so protected that way.

I tried connecting up to the PC (as per the guides) and nothing detected by Windows when the Jag is powered on - as if something related to the USB control is borked too.

Any suggestions?  I see the thing was open sourced a while back, I saw main.jed file in there and considered reflashing the Xilinx IC, would that help?  I also see a Cypress part on there - is that responsible for the USB comms, guessing that's probably the borked part?

That red screen is a connectivity issue. Jag boards are weird. I have had a perfectly spotless board (clean pins) that would RSOD after scrubbing it with 99% isoprop. But, scrubbing more and more (and sometimes scrubbing with lighter fluid eventually the cart would start working...and then like magic it would just always work. Odd.

I am not sure if the Skunk will connect to the PC unless it is being detected by the Jag. I only owned one for a very short period of time long ago so I cannot recall.

Also, I found this link with some good Skunk resources if you need them: http://harmlesslion.com/software/skunkboard

On a side note, love your videos! I have learned quite a bit from your various repair vids over the years.

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

Thanks, that might explain why the PC doesnt see anything - if the Jag is not booting from the cart at all.   It's not dirty contacts, spent a good hour cleaning and recleaning the cart edge and the slot, and testing other carts - every other cart works perfectly, and the slot hasn't had much use at all.  I wonder if the EEPROM needs reflashing as perhaps its lost the jag boot loader stuff or something?

4 hours ago, GadgetUK said:

Spoke to Tursi - he's given me some great advice!  I think I am going to BJL mod the Jag, build a parallel cable and see if reflashing the EEPROM will sort it.  I will post an update as I make progress.

Thanks to all, and Tursi especially =D

Hope you make a video of the mod and the repair...that's something I would certainly like to see! Good luck with everything!

On 6/15/2020 at 3:34 AM, eightbit said:

Hope you make a video of the mod and the repair...that's something I would certainly like to see! Good luck with everything!

Yes, it will be a video =D  The good news is the Skunk wasn't the issue - the Jaguar was!  Hard to believe, it looked pristine and was sold to me as 100% working.  But on inspection of the issue I can see someone had tinkered at that spot in the past!  Unfortunately I had already left an eBay feedback - grrr!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, GadgetUK said:

Yes, it will be a video =D  The good news is the Skunk wasn't the issue - the Jaguar was!  Hard to believe, it looked pristine and was sold to me as 100% working.  But on inspection of the issue I can see someone had tinkered at that spot in the past!  Unfortunately I had already left an eBay feedback - grrr!

If it is just the cart slot connector (hopefully) Best Electronics still sells these for $15 IIRC.

Yep, it is:

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/jaguar.htm

If that is the only issue that is. At least it is powering up, which means someone didn't go ahead and plug in an incorrect polarity PSU in the past and fry things...so that is a bonus. It stinks that you purchased a defective unit on ebay, but I think it is in the best hands right now for resurrection ;)

Edited by eightbit