IGNORED

is $168 too expensive to temporarily upgrade my 486?

Was thinking of temporarily upgrading my old 486 from 50MHz to 100Mhz and from 16MB RAM to 64MB. The processor would be a used PowerStacker. But the RAM would be new 30-Pin SIMMS made from NOS chips. The total cost would be 168 bucks. 40 for the chip and 128 for the memory.

Edited by Keatah

Long enough to make it go faster to do some restoration and "major" re-installation and re-organization of the 3 hard disks. Then I'd put it back to stock configuration like back in the day.

It's a sentimental computer. I'd rather not "trash" its original parts.

Edited by Keatah

for me its worth 20 bucks to buy a junky old core 2 duo system with IDE and floppy controllers, get the shit done as fast as possible and go back to my retro system

which is exactly why my garage machine is a AMD Phenom X2 system with a bunch of PCI slots and legacy support, though any desktop that supports legacy bios will boot into DOS (with restrictions naturally) including the brand new 6 core Ryzen system I made my wife within the last month

hell pay shipping Ill send you a core 2 duo machine with IDE ports, make backup's, take care of your maintenance just by yanking the drive and getting on with it, save you 140 bucks and days of moving shit via command line