HDTV1080P

28.5 watt ColecoVision compatible power supply (The best quality PS every made for the ColecoVision)

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

But this is derailing the topic of this thread and that wasn't intended so my apologies to @HDTV1080P for that.

It should be mentioned that the Col USB plug works flawlessly with some USB chargers and cables as mentioned in the following thread for the ColecoVision 17 Watt 3.4 amp USB Power Supply solution (and that is why some dealers only sold the product with a high-end USB charger and USB cable). However, that being said the 28.5 watt Mean Well ColecoVision compatible power supply is a better quality solution at a cheaper price. But since many people are attractive to USB they most likely would prefer that version that sells for around $84.99 on EBAY when one can get stock.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/287788-colecovision-17-watt-34-amp-usb-power-supply-solution-user-review/

Edited by HDTV1080P

39 minutes ago, HDTV1080P said:

It should be mentioned that the Col USB plug works flawlessly with some USB chargers and cables as mentioned in the following thread for the ColecoVision 17 Watt 3.4 amp USB Power Supply solution (and that is why some dealers only sold the product with a high-end USB charger and USB cable). However, that being said the 28.5 watt Mean Well ColecoVision compatible power supply is a better quality solution at a cheaper price. But since many people are attractive to USB they most likely would prefer that version that sells for around $84.99 on EBAY when one can get stock.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/287788-colecovision-17-watt-34-amp-usb-power-supply-solution-user-review/

My main "attraction" as you put it for the ColUSB was the small size and versatility of using any proper rated phone/tablet/ USB charger with it and not be tethered to something specific. It is a nice option to have your tablet charger be able to not only charge your tablet, but also be usable as a quick PSU for a console. This is especially true for me as a workbench use scenario due to the small size and again, versatility of that solution. That was how I was using my ColUSB in fact was just as a bench power solution for working on CVs. But the mean well will take its place for now as it is still much lighter, uses a separate power cord so does eat up space to the left and right of it on a power strip, is smaller and has plenty of cord length to be used anywhere it is likely to be needed.

The operative words were "I have been considering...."

I have a personal rule to not develop things that compete with an existing seller, but to focus on unmet needs. While I'd like to see your PSU be a bit cheaper, I understand the development and production costs do add up.

There's also an element that nobody can be relaxed ever again if they produce a power supply. If I have 1000 units out there that might be in use for the next 40 years, well, any time any one of those 1,000 people for the next 40 years has a house fire, it could impact me severely even if it is nothing to do with me.

Well in my case, I think my PSU is fine I think (+5V checks in at 5.22, +12V at 12.03).  I get garbled graphics so I think I need the power button cleaned again or a VRAM replaced, but that's for another day.  I mainly wanted to avoid using the mammoth OEM brick, as I'm forced to take stuff out to fit it in the power strip. 

Having to repair 2 broken original ColecoVision power supplies last week, I figured that I would order one of these so that I would have something as a backup. Got it in today and it works great. Will continue testing, but it seems to be a great modern power supply addition to my ColecoVision. I will probably use it as my primary power supply moving forward. 

• Like 2