IGNORED

Altirra 3.90 released

phaeron

Yes and its entered a new era which is nice but for those not wanting to upgrade their windows then Altirra is already at a stage where its amazingly good.

Going to have a play with the colour solver, looks fun.

Thanks Avery...

• Like 1

Question/Comment: on the audio sub-section. I understand audio can be very subjective, and it's been years since I payed attention to real hardware in-depth. And I didn't hook up a scope.. So..

I noted that in order to hear what I think should be correct sound in Star Raiders hyperwarp I needed to turn on the Non-Linear Mixing option. This in 4.00 test-1. If I don't turn it on there seems to be noticeable discrete steps or bumps in the volume occurring 1.2 and 3.8 seconds into the hyperwarp.  Turning on Non-Linear Mixing fixes this nicely.

In 3.90 I didn't need to turn on Non-Linear Mixing. And it sounds good either way on or off. This supposed to work this way?

Anyhow thanks for the white phosphor option and we all love the ongoing work!

Feature Request:

A variable-speed turbo option. With today's hardware the Warp-Speed can become quite silly. Try playing Defender at 2700 FPS! So I was thinking of something like either a series of hot-keys for like 2x 3x 4x and so on with the last one being unlimited. Or maybe a dropdown menu item where you just specify how fast "F1" can go.

Minor UI in:consistency:

Has to do with warp speed. Start by running in a standard window. Then turn on warp by clicking on the drop-down SYSTEM and WARP option. Now hit <alt>-<enter> to go full screen. Good. Now look at the status in the drop-menu. It shows warp speed is not checked. Then if you select it while in full screen, it shows the check mark but toggles to normal speed. IIRC this has been present in older releases.

@phaeron, excllent release! many thanks

as for next versio 4.0

i am still facing the goto source issue with agreggated project folder, finding my self needing to select the source file myself, even though the folder to pick the file is correct.... will that be solved? 

also would be nice to be able to search for routines in the c file. currently the search doesn't do anything....

12 hours ago, Keatah said:

In 3.90 I didn't need to turn on Non-Linear Mixing. And it sounds good either way on or off. This supposed to work this way?

No, this is a bug, I screwed up the linear curve code when I rewrote the mixing table (it now has to be split by volume bits). Will be fixed in -test2.

12 hours ago, Keatah said:

A variable-speed turbo option. With today's hardware the Warp-Speed can become quite silly. Try playing Defender at 2700 FPS! So I was thinking of something like either a series of hot-keys for like 2x 3x 4x and so on with the last one being unlimited. Or maybe a dropdown menu item where you just specify how fast "F1" can go.

Adding multiple commands for different speeds is probably a bit much, but I could see a warp speed limiter. Though I'm not sure why you would play Defender at warp at all, I suck more than enough at it at 60 fps.

11 hours ago, Keatah said:

Has to do with warp speed. Start by running in a standard window. Then turn on warp by clicking on the drop-down SYSTEM and WARP option. Now hit <alt>-<enter> to go full screen. Good. Now look at the status in the drop-menu. It shows warp speed is not checked. Then if you select it while in full screen, it shows the check mark but toggles to normal speed. IIRC this has been present in older releases.

Bug, will be fixed in -test2. The issue was that the menu was updated too late, after the menu had already been created. It refreshes if you select another menu temporarily.

8 hours ago, Eyvind Bernhardsen said:

3.90 works fine in Wine (CrossOver) on my Mac, but Version 4.00 doesn't: the window comes up, then it immediately generates a ~120kB .mdmp file and locks up. The menu is there but nonfunctional, the rest of the window is a dark gray, and I have to kill the process to get rid of it.

Usual caveat regarding running under Wine, but if you could attach or PM me the .mdmp file I might have a chance at figuring out what's going on. I wasn't able to reproduce with Wine 5 on Ubuntu, though it was running on llvmpipe since I couldn't get VMware 3D hardware acceleration working. If you get a .mdmp file, it's crashed, everything after that doesn't matter.

I have noticed that Wine does really bogus things if decent graphics hardware isn't available, such as trying to restrict Direct3D 9 APIs to using 1MB of VRAM. Doesn't really work when you can't even create the swap chain to cover the screen. You can try launching with the /gdi flag to disable all hardware acceleration, which will identify if the issue is graphics related (and thus may related to the DirectDraw removal). I wouldn't expect you could run any moderately current version of macOS with a graphics card that's too old to emulate D3D9 pixel shader 2.0, though.

8 hours ago, Yaron Nir said:

i am still facing the goto source issue with agreggated project folder, finding my self needing to select the source file myself, even though the folder to pick the file is correct.... will that be solved?

No current plans, if I do make changes you'll see it in the change lists.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, phaeron said:

Usual caveat regarding running under Wine, but if you could attach or PM me the .mdmp file I might have a chance at figuring out what's going on. I wasn't able to reproduce with Wine 5 on Ubuntu, though it was running on llvmpipe since I couldn't get VMware 3D hardware acceleration working. If you get a .mdmp file, it's crashed, everything after that doesn't matter.

I have noticed that Wine does really bogus things if decent graphics hardware isn't available, such as trying to restrict Direct3D 9 APIs to using 1MB of VRAM. Doesn't really work when you can't even create the swap chain to cover the screen. You can try launching with the /gdi flag to disable all hardware acceleration, which will identify if the issue is graphics related (and thus may related to the DirectDraw removal). I wouldn't expect you could run any moderately current version of macOS with a graphics card that's too old to emulate D3D9 pixel shader 2.0, though.

This is on my 2015 iMac (AMD Radeon R9 M395X with 4 GB VRAM), so it should be okayish; I tried running with /gdi but got the same crash. Will PM you the .mdmp.

6 hours ago, Krakerman said:

Is there a fix for Atari 5200 Galaxian? Player ship keeps moving to right.

That's something to do with your controller setup. I just started a game of 5200 Galaxian using Keyboard --> Absolute (port 1) and it worked fine.

image.thumb.png.4e0d91f7dfa5727f54e53bff1ce94188.png

8 minutes ago, Krakerman said:

I did the same exact thing you did pictured above to test and does same thing still goes to the right.

Hmm. I just tried again and got the same behavior you describe - immediate movement to the right. You can override that with the left arrow but as soon as you let go, your ship goes right.

HOWEVER - when I tried changing to Keyboard Relative control, and then back to Keyboard Absolute, it started working correctly. Is this a bug, @phaeron, or just a quirk of emulating the 5200's odd analog control scheme?

28 minutes ago, Yautja said:

You need to update the ver. from 3.26 to 3.90 in the initial screen; and also the copyright year to 2020.

Those are the version number and copyright dates for the Altirra written-from-scratch OS, not the emulator itself. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

Hmm. I just tried again and got the same behavior you describe - immediate movement to the right. You can override that with the left arrow but as soon as you let go, your ship goes right.

HOWEVER - when I tried changing to Keyboard Relative control, and then back to Keyboard Absolute, it started working correctly. Is this a bug, @phaeron, or just a quirk of emulating the 5200's odd analog control scheme?

It's a bug in 5200 Galaxian. The joystick calibration routine is broken and splits by even/odd POT values instead of port 1/2; it only happens to work on the real console due to pot noise. You'll only see this if you are using keyboard or D-pad in absolute mode; keyboard in relative mode or an analog stick will feed enough different values to eventually kick the calibration routine into behaving.

I have a workaround for this to add a small amount of jitter, but it appears to have been broken by, of all things, a timing change I did to reduce input latency. The input timing is slightly different and so the jitter doesn't happen at point for Galaxian to see it. I'll have to add some more noise to work around it more.

2 hours ago, Yautja said:

You need to update the ver. from 3.26 to 3.90 in the initial screen; and also the copyright year to 2020.

As others have said, the version being different is intentional, but I'll fix the copyright year the next time I rev it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 6/15/2020 at 1:49 AM, phaeron said:

(..)

• XEP-80: Fixed an emulation bug in the way that scrolling occurs, and added a couple of new toys to the Additions disk: an XEPVHOLD.COM tool to reprogram the XEP80's timing chain for a shorter display that's less likely to roll on modern displays, and a new ultra-speed ALTXEP8U.SYS driver that runs at symmetric 31.5Kbaud instead of 15.7K or 31.5K send / 15.7K receive.
  • (..)
  • AltirraOS 3.27: Fixes to the printer handler for EOL handling, particularly for the Atari 1025, and improved compatibility of variable usage to work with Monkey Wrench II.
  • Custom Devices: More scripting language constructs like break, while/do-while loops, and forward declaration of functions, better threading support, and more scripting methods for manipulating memory. Custom devices can now raise Parallel Bus Interface IRQs. Custom video outputs can now be created with either text or graphical output, and even support text select/copy like the emulator's built in ANTIC and XEP-80 video outputs. New sample custom devices: Bit-3 80 column, 1090 80-column, and a PBI-based metronome.

First of all, congrats for reaching this (monumental) v4.0 milestone... Hard to believe how far and high this has gone... I know that (one of these days) all this greatness may well have to stop (as nothing runs forever)... But in the mean time, I don't even want to think about that day...

Secondly, congrats as well for this sweet v0.6 Ultra-mode XEP80 driver. I can confirm that its performance essentially matches that of 5x ACCELERATED E: on Gr.0 mode (HYPE and SDX Quick ED's), char by char, especially on "console" mode output, when sending characters to the screen, linearly sequenced. That is NO small feat, by any means. It is FAR, FAR ahead of SDX's own XEP80 driver, throughput wise.

(UPDATE: here are the timings, a full dump of FastBasic Manual, via SDX's regular TYPE command:

1. XEP80-Ultra: 1m:30sec

2. SDX QED: 1m:33sec.

3. HYPE-E: 1m:34sec.

KUDOS!!!)

Now, what I think it would be special is to have this latest v0.6 also set for PAL output, since it will render almost a perfect 80x24 grid on Capital letters, and almost perfect on lower-caps, except the last ~two scan-lines. Your utility is really nice for extracting the 25th line, but it does cut one or two-lines on each character row, which makes anything that uses special characters looks a bit weird on screen (I know XEP80 NTSC font is disproportionately tall vertically and seemingly narrow horizontally). Maybe if you could run your config. utility on PAL mode, and it may solve this problem, automatically.

Thanks, again, for everything!

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 1

Thank you phaeron for the emulator and update. It is great that you do this work to keep Atari 8 bit alive and for those that don't have the hardware.

When I run any atr, atx file of Dimension X by Synapse on Altirra, thetext and "Desert Map" (square indicators at top right) are grey with vertical lines and should have color. Same problem v3.2 or v3.9.

When I run the same files with SDrive-Max or from the original disk on my 800, the squares have color.

Dimension X on physical Atari 800.

DimX_Atari800_TV_w.jpg.151405a479d17d72a3ad2eec99472140.jpg

Altirra 3.2 or 3.9

961948436_DimensionXATR_Altirra800.thumb.jpg.db8f1754cfea26554b841c60a2d8a359.jpg

Do I have something set wrong?

Thanks

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Gearhead Lu said:

When I run any atr, atx file of Dimension X by Synapse on Altirra, thetext and "Desert Map" (square indicators at top right) are grey with vertical lines and should have color. Same problem v3.2 or v3.9.

When I run the same files with SDrive-Max or from the original disk on my 800, the squares have color.

Turn on artifacting.

• Like 2

If I set a breakpoint on read in zero page (e.g. ba r $80) using 4.00-test1, the breakpoint immediately triggers and messages run away in the console window, apparently regardless of whether the location was actually read.

EDIT: And just like that, I close down the emulator and re-start it again, and ba works as expected. Weird. :)

Edited by flashjazzcat