IGNORED

Altirra 3.90 released

phaeron

2 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

Not many of them are actually compatible with Altirra. To use them, make sure you're set to D3D9 (Tools -> Options -> Display -> Direct3D 9) Make sure any others are unchecked to force Altirra to use it.

Then under Display Effects, point Altirra at the *.cgp you want. The ones that appear to work are in the root folder of the archive shared above.

It was as simple as using the ones in the root folder. I did note that Altirra's scanlines don't work when using the vintagetv shader. But the bloom and distortion controls do work. Be even better to see them combined together.

IDK.. I was thinking (feature suggestion) that there be a big-ass control panel to adjust all kinds of shader knobs and sliders. Similar to what's in M.A.M.E.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, phaeron said:

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.00-test3.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.00-test3-src.zip

• (...)
  • Added new XEP80 drivers to the Additions disk: an ultra-speed ALTXEP8U.SYS driver with symmetric 31.5KHz communications instead of the previous asymmetric 31.5 send / 15.7 receive, and two new ALTXEP8P.SYS / ALTXEPUP.SYS variants that auto-switch to 50Hz PAL on startup. The ultra-speed driver also has timing adjustments for better reliability on a variety of systems. The previous ALTXEP8F.SYS driver has been removed to reduce the number of variants (and to avoid the variants being F and U).
  • (...)

A BIG thanks for the latest round of drivers... they just keep going faster and faster!!!

Just thought you may want to know that , after launching NTSC or PAL driver-versions (does not matter), and then checking with my video-processor status on XEP80 signal, it is reporting NTSC output from XEP all the time (suggesting that nothing seems to be changing on the XEP's video output). 

If I am missing something here, just let me know.

Cheers!

21 hours ago, Faicuai said:

A BIG thanks for the latest round of drivers... they just keep going faster and faster!!!

Just thought you may want to know that , after launching NTSC or PAL driver-versions (does not matter), and then checking with my video-processor status on XEP80 signal, it is reporting NTSC output from XEP all the time (suggesting that nothing seems to be changing on the XEP's video output).

Apologies, build system snafu. This disk image should have the correct drivers in each file:

Additions.atr

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/29/2020 at 6:57 PM, Krakerman said:

What is the recommended settings for playing Atari 5200 Kaboom! with mouse or trackball. All settings that I been playing with seem to be way to fast.

Rebind the right/down inputs like this -- you can then adjust the relative speed.

image.png.90d5f0ea76ce0573f37c01da75abff12.png

• Like 3

I did but when moving mouse left or right for instance on kaboom the buckets move but then go back to the middle like keep fighting it making the game very unplayable. Do I set it up as 5200 Controller or Paddle? I tried both but not success no matter the settings.

Still seems way to fast regardless if set down to 3 like you have shown barley moves and will not go to the left or right very far

Edited by Krakerman

On 6/23/2020 at 11:03 PM, evilmoo said:

I think I found a bug in the Altirra OS ROM.  If I run the attached program with either Altirra BASIC or Atari BASIC rev C and Altirra OS, the printed value of pi is off by one digit in several places.  If I run it with OS Rev 3, it is correct.

The proper value is 3.1415926535897932384...

pi.bas 1.18 kB · 13 downloads

WOW, this was a really good catch!

I ran this one, and this is what I am getting @ 100 digits, all on real NTSC-800 and XEP80 output, U-mode drivers):

Altirra Basic 1.57, Altirra 328 FP-pack: 57,370 frames (957.4432 sec)

Altirra Basic 1.57, extended-performance FP-pack (XL/XE): 39,626 frames (661.3151 sec)

Turbo Basic 1.5, Turbo Basic internal FP-pack: 39,592 frames (660.7476 secs)

Turbo Basic will need some of Atari's FP-OS routines to work properly, but all digits seem accurate, now...

• Like 2

15 hours ago, phaeron said:

Apologies, build system snafu. This disk image should have the correct drivers in each file:

Additions.atr 90.02 kB · 10 downloads

U-drivers (PAL-variants) are now working PERFECTLY, and outputting true PAL signal, with that gorgeous, proportional font that comes out of the XEP in PAL-mode. This is phenomenal for NTSC users, as long as in-line time-base conversion/correction is available on the video-path.

ALL 24-lines being displayed without timing-chain retuning (default driver output), with ONLY letters (lower-capital) "qypgj" being hit by just missing TWO freaking scan-lines at the bottom!

Speed-wise, Fast-Basic's MANUAL.TXT continues to be dumped at 1m:30secs, effectively matching accelerated (x5) OS E: @ 40cols. mode (!!!)

I do believe we can still go faster, though... but that may require the Moto. 68B21P PIAs... but it is already FANTASTIC (!). I will try to load a video later with effective speed so everyone can appreciate how swiftly on-screen rendering goes!

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Krakerman said:

I did but when moving mouse left or right for instance on kaboom the buckets move but then go back to the middle like keep fighting it making the game very unplayable. Do I set it up as 5200 Controller or Paddle? I tried both but not success no matter the settings.

Still seems way to fast regardless if set down to 3 like you have shown barley moves and will not go to the left or right very far

If it keeps returning to the middle when you stop moving then you have it bound in absolute mode instead of relative mode. Detach the cartridge (File > Cartridge > Detach) and the controller test ROM will start up, which you can use to see what the emulated 5200 controllers are doing in response to input.

• Like 1

It's a little buried, but there.

From the dropdown menu: System> ConfigureSystem> Emulator> Display>

Toggle the box labeled "Show Indicators".

Another indirect way of pausing without the [Pause] indicator is switching to another task window, like notepad or something. The emulator will stop in the background if you have dropdown System> Pause When Inactive checked..

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Keatah said:

The emulator will stop in the background if you have dropdown System> Pause When Inactive checked..

Oh cool. That answers a question I had. How to keep the emulator running in the background?

Uncheck Pause When Inactive.

That way I can keep the game music playing in the background while surfing AA. ?

Today's favorite song is Cosmic Tunnels. Last week was Tale Of Beta Lyrae.

Edited by Gearhead Lu
Fixed quote.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, pindapoe said:

Wonderful emulator, congratulations for it! Just a question, is there any way to change the F1 key to another one (Start)?

Yes, you can. It's a little bit roundabout:

• The Start key is bound to [Ctrl+][Shift+]F2 in the keyboard layout. You can rebind this in System > Configure System > Keyboard > Customize. You'll need to copy the standard layout to the custom layout once to enable this.
  • F1 is default bound to the command System.PulseWarpOn in Tools > Keyboard Shortcuts.

So to use F1 for Start, you need to unbind it in Keyboard Shortcuts, then bind it in the keyboard layout to the emulation Start button.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, phaeron said:

Yes, you can. It's a little bit roundabout:

• The Start key is bound to [Ctrl+][Shift+]F2 in the keyboard layout. You can rebind this in System > Configure System > Keyboard > Customize. You'll need to copy the standard layout to the custom layout once to enable this.
  • F1 is default bound to the command System.PulseWarpOn in Tools > Keyboard Shortcuts.

So to use F1 for Start, you need to unbind it in Keyboard Shortcuts, then bind it in the keyboard layout to the emulation Start button.

Very kind, it worked like a charm :)

Feature suggestion:

An extremely useful improvement for development would be a "Right Button" over the screen, and it outputs information about that point, like the color and the position of the memory the color is in.

1103468745_Altirrarightbutton.png.dba0f413b9f02cbdce2e6e5630aae597.png

Also, the Toggle button for NTSC/PAL is too hidden, being that it's very used for testing new software that you don't know if it's native for NTSC or PAL.

System > Configure System > System > Toogle NTSC/PAL

331041401_Togglebutton.png.2f2a7f17f51635a80a53f70d3767fdb4.png

Edited by tane
  • Like 2

Is there a problem with the cheat file on Altirra 3.9 ?

For example, I have forced the background color to black in the cheat (poke 710,0) so the background is always black (plus some more poke values), it works fine ! Cool !

I can load and save the cheat file, but cannot autoload it with altirra using the command line switch.

It says file not found...

There seems to be a ":" at the end of the filename in the pop-up message box...

I made a shortcut to altirra on the desktop and added /cheats atari.cht (the name I used to save the cheat file) ans it says cannot load...

I want to load that cheat on power-up of altirra so the background is always black automatically, and poke 65,0 also to disable screen saver, and 730,2 and 729,20 are keyboard speed adjustments...

Thanks for any help...

Cheat Snapshot.png

Shortcut.png

Edited by Eric Rousseau

Altirra 3.9 Cheats... la suite...

Ok, I managed to load/save/execute cheatfiles in Altirra 3.9 that forces my background to black (poke 710,0)

I also managed to create a shortcut on the desktop with the /cheats command line...

BUT...

When I double clic an .ATR file, it starts Altirra.exe wich has no command line cheats...

How can I associate an ATR file (and all other atari compatible files) to start the shortcut instead of the executable ?

Or is there a way in Altirra to force loading cheat file at it's startup from altirra.exe ?

I can change the default application, but when I select a shortcut for default, it get the executable targeted by it !

Thanks for any help...

If you associate a shortcut its always going to start the same shortcut (if it exists), you can load a cheat file from the command line as I think you have already found with the /chests <filename of the cheat file> switch.

Obviously you would need one of these shortcuts per game cheated, if you had something like Directory Opus like I have you can create a scripted prompt to ask for the game file and then the cheat file and run it from there but in all honesty it's easier just to load / double click the atr of the game and apply the cheat from the menu.

With cheats being game dependant its hard to have a simple way to associate a cheat file to every program you want to cheat in a command line without you the user having to do it per game as a shortcut / bat file..

I presume this is all for a frontend use?

Even the gamepack I was associated with which we didn't use cheats with would have had to have individual entries in the database to activate them ie its all manual labour :)

Edited by Mclaneinc