IGNORED

Altirra 3.90 released

phaeron

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.00-test18.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.00-test18-src.zip

• Fixed disassembler opcode length table for COP n instruction.
  • Added support for double-sided ATX images. Currently this only works for XF551-style double-sided images; ATR8000-style or PERCOM-style is problematic because ATX files use physical layout and there's no way to tell how it should be mapped to logical layout.
  • Fixed a bug with physical sectors not being reversed properly, causing the XF551 to format side 2 slowly.
  • 815 track materialization routine now supports sector sizes other than 256 bytes.
  • Fixed height of JVB instruction repeats when ending a vertically scrolled region.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, xxl said:

thanks, that's it: check on the emulator and then the Atari ...

could you write a few words why is this happening?

jmpdli.obx 83 B · 5 downloads

It would help if you provided some explanation instead of just dropping an executable that I have to disassemble and guess what you are referring to.

In this case, you're stretching a jump instruction to multiple lines through vertical scrolling, which is causing ANTIC to load multiple jump target addresses. It is reading uninitialized memory all over the place including location 0, so I am having trouble getting a matching memory environment between the emulator and the Atari because the executable loaders aren't the same (emulator vs. RespeQt).

I mean Displa List which looks like this. why JMP reads the wrong address as VSC is enabled, the value in VSCROLL affects this address but what is the relationship. Tried to find the answer in your doc but can't find or am looking wrong?

BC20: 3x 8 BLANK
BC23: LMS BC40 MODE 2
BC26: 10x MODE 2
BC30: VSCROL MODE 2
BC31: DLI JMP BC34
BC34: 9x MODE 2
BC3D: JVB BC20

13 minutes ago, xxl said:

I mean Displa List which looks like this. why JMP reads the wrong address as VSC is enabled, the value in VSCROLL affects this address but what is the relationship. Tried to find the answer in your doc but can't find or am looking wrong?

BC20: 3x 8 BLANK
BC23: LMS BC40 MODE 2
BC26: 10x MODE 2
BC30: VSCROL MODE 2
BC31: DLI JMP BC34
BC34: 9x MODE 2
BC3D: JVB BC20

It's because your jump instruction is within the scroll region, so it is fetching multiple jump addresses. See 4.6 Display list, Jump command. The mode line after the last mode line with the vertical scrolling bit set ($20) is still within the vertical scroll region and has its height modified by VSCROL. This is true even for blank and jump instructions that don't have vertical scroll bits. You can get away with this for JVB because it turns off display list DMA anyway and no additional jump addresses can be fetched. You can't get away with it for a jump instruction, which will fetch garbage.

The last time I tested this, what happens is that ANTIC re-runs the two address fetch cycles on each scanline of the jump instruction without the instruction fetch. So on the first scanline it'll read and jump to the address you specified ($BC34), but then it will fetch $0202 from $BC34 and jump to that, then read $C0CD from there and jump to that, etc.

• Like 2

thanks. yes, instead of 3, Antic takes 2 readings and that was my problem. There are to be jump addresses to the next jump address without the jump command itself. Thanks, now it works ?

Edited by xxl
translation problem

42 minutes ago, ilmenit said:

People are running Altirra on macOS with Wine, maybe it's going to work on Android such way too?

https://www.hongkiat.com/blog/running-windows-apps-on-android-devices-wine-3/

Definitely falls into the "very much unsupported if you get this horrific setup to work." No offense to the hard working Wine folks or users who make do with whatever they've got, but I've already had to spend enough time on bugs caused by Wine on macOS.

To make this work, it looks like you would either need an ARMv7 build of Altirra (not happening) or an x86 based Android device (not common).

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, phaeron said:

Definitely falls into the "very much unsupported if you get this horrific setup to work." No offense to the hard working Wine folks or users who make do with whatever they've got, but I've already had to spend enough time on bugs caused by Wine on macOS.

I know the pain. You release something, then people start to hack it in different unplanned ways, complain that it's not working and it's expected from you to find issues to make the hacky solutions working...

3 hours ago, phaeron said:

No offense to the hard working Wine folks or users who make do with whatever they've got, but I've already had to spend enough time on bugs caused by Wine on macOS.

If I were you I wouldn't spent a single minute debugging this monster Altirra-Wine-macOS combination.

No idea what is wrong with the religious fanatic apple fanboys.

Why don't they accept the fact that the Altirra project is for Windows?

They can even install Windows 10 parallel to their holly macOS: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201468

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

55 minutes ago, TheMontezuma said:

If I were you I wouldn't spent a single minute debugging this monster Altirra-Wine-macOS combination.

No idea what is wrong with the religious fanatic apple fanboys.

Why don't they accept the fact that the Altirra project is for Windows?

They can even install Windows 10 parallel to their holly macOS: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201468

It's not "Apple Fanboys", it's people with a different operating system. Now that Windows doesn't have the monopoly share of the marketplace it used to enjoy, if you develop something good that isn't cross platform, some of the first support requests will be for the Android or Mac or Linux or Windows XP (Hi Kyle!) or whatever versions.

If Altirra were a macOS project and you only had Atari800Win, you'd be asking for a Windows version.

1 hour ago, Mr Robot said:

If Altirra were a macOS project and you only had Atari800Win, you'd be asking for a Windows version.

Perhaps I would ask, but I would respect the answer "NO".

Long time ago I was involved in RespeQt development I decided to invest in a Mini Mac.

I did it to be able to test all my changes under Windows/Linux/Mac. It was a lot of effort only to build and test the software on all platforms, despite the fact that Qt is already multiplatform...

If Altirra were a macOS project (and I wouldn't have my Mini Mac) - I would definitelly buy one.
MacOs users don't even need to buy an extra PC, they can run Windows on the same hardware (setup a second partition for Windows).

45 minutes ago, TheMontezuma said:

MacOs users don't even need to buy an extra PC, they can run Windows on the same hardware (setup a second partition for Windows).

Have you ever ;) seen how much $ Apple want from "believers" for extra SSD capacity? :D 

Edited by zbyti
believers
  • Haha 1

I understand the desire to have Altirra running natively on Linux and macOS since it is an excellent emulator, but I also understand that whoever maintains it is entitled to keep doing it for Windows only. Since it was developed with Windows in mind, it is a pain to port it.

We have options for all three major OSes so it is not a big deal. I am a Mac user and I am glad Atari800MacX is being updated again and it meets all my Atari needs. Sometimes I fire up Altirra under wine to double check if I see something weird happening on Atari800MacX.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, TheMontezuma said:

Perhaps I would ask, but I would respect the answer "NO".

Long time ago I was involved in RespeQt development I decided to invest in a Mini Mac.

I did it to be able to test all my changes under Windows/Linux/Mac. It was a lot of effort only to build and test the software on all platforms, despite the fact that Qt is already multiplatform...

If Altirra were a macOS project (and I wouldn't have my Mini Mac) - I would definitelly buy one.

Most mac users are the same, they ask for a version for their operating system and respect the "No" if there is one. That is why they look to wine or fusion to allow them to run Windows software on the mac. No one wants to dual boot, if I were developing something for the Atari on a mac, and I was using mac tools for everything but the emulator which I had to dual boot, I would be constantly rebooting to test something, make notes reboot to update code and compile, reboot to test it again etc.etc. it's not a workable solution. Wine is a workable solution but has big compatibility issues (which Avery puts effort into negating for us) and allows running Altirra on the same desktop as the dev tools, VMWare Fusion is also an option, it can spin up a VM to run just a single app on the mac desktop so if you have a powerful enough mac you can use that (it's even free now for non-commercial use). Linux users can use wine or a VM but they don't get the integration with a VM that mac users do, Android users have no hope. I have a window PC, I use it to run the things I have to run that don't run on a mac, I wish I didn't have to have it but I do. I don't run any leisure software on it, that would be silly, Windows isn't something I enjoy using so I only do it when I have to. Altirra is a leisure app, if I can't run it on my mac I just won't run it.

Asking if your operating system is supported is OK, getting the answer "No" is also OK. You seem to be the only one using the religious fanboy hyperbole  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, pedgarcia said:

I understand the desire to have Altirra running natively on Linux and macOS since it is an excellent emulator, but I also understand that whoever maintains it is entitled to keep doing it for Windows only. Since it was developed with Windows in mind, it is a pain to port it.

We have options for all three major OSes so it is not a big deal. I am a Mac user and I am glad Atari800MacX is being updated again and it meets all my Atari needs. Sometimes I fire up Altirra under wine to double check if I see something weird happening on Atari800MacX.

I use Altirra for the emulation of U1MB, VBXE, Rapidus etc. There is very little development of new functionality going into the Atari800 emulator, it's all just bug fixes and tweaks at this point (and even then some bugs are just ignored). 

• Like 2

Avery has been adamant that he won't support other than Windows, the wine work he has done was just a favour...I know it feels a little unfair that its not on every platform but the man is busy and I don't see any enthusiasm from him to ever do that. You have to remember that Altirra was just a little proof of concept thing initially, its only because so many of us urged him to carry on that he did...The rest is history..

Edited by Mclaneinc

Shame about Atari800, its really liked by many (bar me because of the interface) I hope they keep it going and fix stuff, even if its just a slow burn of fixes.

Was also so sad to see WinPlus just fizzle out but people are busy and programming for free isn't always possible or interesting..

Edited by Mclaneinc

2 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

I use Altirra for the emulation of U1MB, VBXE, Rapidus etc. There is very little development of new functionality going into the Atari800 emulator, it's all just bug fixes and tweaks at this point (and even then some bugs are just ignored). 

That's true. Altirra is more up to date with the new stuff. I know some of the new hardware will be supported by Atari800MacX but if you need that Altirra is the only option,afaik.

1 hour ago, Mr Robot said:

You seem to be the only one using the religious fanboy hyperbole

[...]

if I can't run it on my mac I just won't run it.

I think you have answered yourself ?

And one could just download and use a complete working WUDSN development chain (including Altirra) with no effort from @JAC!

https://www.wudsn.com/index.php/ide/installation

instead of torturing himself with a mac setup.

I have no problems to use my Mini Mac with Handbrake software for video recoding, since Handbrake makes use of the Mini Mac hardware acceleration and it is very silent.

Why not to use a suitable tool ?