Jump to content
phaeron

Altirra 3.90 released

Recommended Posts

On 10/27/2020 at 10:37 PM, Yautja said:

Any chance to have Altirra for Android?

 

Not Altirra as the core, but we'll be adding Atari 8-bit support to Project Argon at some point next year, and the intent is to support the Altirra OS with it...

 

We'll likely start out gentle -- only include cartridges/treat it XEGS style.

 

In addition to Android, that also gets you Amazon (Fire TV, Fire Tablet), Chromebook and Raspberry Pi.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no real printer, so I am playing with the printer emulation (Configure system->Devices->Printer). And:

 

obraz.thumb.png.0953cefd2f6e72157e9c5475303b74a7.png

 

The emulated printer seems to execute carriage return after every 40 characters, i.e. every time when the buffer at $03c0 gets emptied. Should it really work so? I would rather tend to think that the CR should be done when the computer sends an EOL. I long time ago had a Star LC-20, and do not seem to remember that textmode printing was limited to 40 columns...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, drac030 said:

I have no real printer, so I am playing with the printer emulation (Configure system->Devices->Printer). And:

 

 

 

The emulated printer seems to execute carriage return after every 40 characters, i.e. every time when the buffer at $03c0 gets emptied. Should it really work so? I would rather tend to think that the CR should be done when the computer sends an EOL. I long time ago had a Star LC-20, and do not seem to remember that textmode printing was limited to 40 columns...

It is a bit quirky because of the way that the P: SIO protocol works, which is that it is actually a block-based line protocol sending 29 or 40 chars/block. Right now Altirra just emulates an 820 and prints each line as it arrives. I've partially disassembled the 1025 firmware and have verified how it does line splicing, but I haven't added an option to change behavior.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, phaeron said:

I've partially disassembled the 1025 firmware and have verified how it does line splicing, but I haven't added an option to change behavior.

That option would certainly be useful. Also a "generic printer" as an option would certainly be appreciated (with basic parameters to be set, like the number of columns, generate CR after emptied buffer or wait for the actual EOL, basic ATASCII-.ASCII translation and that would be about all). Just like there is the generic emulation of disk drives, probably good enough for 95% uses.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a command to add from the Debugger Console a variable to be monitored in a Watch Window (therefore not the w* commands)? This way I could create a batch file and load set of variables for monitoring in the Watch Window, whenever I make a new build of my program.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/4/2020 at 3:46 PM, ilmenit said:

Is there a command to add from the Debugger Console a variable to be monitored in a Watch Window (therefore not the w* commands)? This way I could create a batch file and load set of variables for monitoring in the Watch Window, whenever I make a new build of my program.

Maybe there is some other option to keep the list of watches in the Watch Window between program recompilations? It's quite common workflow during debugging that you keep the watches of some specific variables (by symbolic name) and then improving the code you do not need to enter them again with execution of improved build. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If one starts two instances of Altirra by mistake, it may happen, that the emulator loses part of the settings, i.e. after closing both instances and restarting Altirra the emulator forgets what disk image was assigned in the IDE+ emulation settings. It may be related to the order of closing the intial two instances, I am not sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I work with "reuse program instance" to keep the settings, breakpoints and watches, however when I need to close the environment for some reason, at least the watches are gone. If there is no ability to restore them, I'm asking nicely to add such feature - for me convenient would be to add a command line command, so I could create them from .batch 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, drac030 said:

If one starts two instances of Altirra by mistake, it may happen, that the emulator loses part of the settings, i.e. after closing both instances and restarting Altirra the emulator forgets what disk image was assigned in the IDE+ emulation settings. It may be related to the order of closing the intial two instances, I am not sure.

 

I'm pretty sure it would be related to the order of closing. I use several instances often; So, I'm careful (most times) to close the right one last in order to preserve any settings I might want to.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never ever need two (or more) copies of Altirra running, I can only do that by mistake. So if there is a method of preventing a second instance from being mistakenly executed, I am all ears.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See Tools / Options, first option is to stop it being opened more than once..Kindly added by Avery so frontends could just run it once..

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.00-test19.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.00-test19-src.zip

  • .dlhistory now shows per-line display list IPs for multi-line jump instructions. This will show how your display list is going haywire if you manage to accidentally vertically scroll one.
  • Fixed a bug where custom keyboard shortcuts were getting saved at the root of HKEY_CURRENT_USER instead of in Altirra's section. The default keyboard shortcuts for toggling audio channels have also been changed to avoid conflicting with key combos in the Spanish keyboard layout. As part of these two fixes, custom keyboard shortcuts have been reset. However, from now on they will only be saved as deltas from the defaults, so when new keyboard shortcuts are added they will be merged (previously you would not see them if you had customized any shortcuts).
  • Fixed bug where IDE+2 rev D/S did not expose some registers from rev. D.
  • Fixed a bug in SIDE/SIDE 2 emulation where flash read handlers were registering side effects from debugger reads. This only affected the toggle bits during flashing.
  • Initial SIDE 3 emulation support. Currently emulated: read-only SDHC, DMA, partial cartridge emulation, basic RTC. Only tested on the SIDE 3 Loader so far.
  • Added virtual FAT32 device. This takes a host path and maps all of the files into a virtual read-only FAT32 partition for anything that can take a hard disk block device in the emulator (IDE/CF/SD/SCSI). This view does not currently live update with changes and subdirectories are not supported, but long file names and Unicode filenames are supported. It seems to pass Windows 10 CHKDSK....

Regarding a couple of things mentioned above:

 

There isn't currently much integration between the debugger commands and the debugger UI, though I could probably put one in here. Need to look over the Watch window again, it hasn't gotten much attention (I don't really use it). A few settings in the debugger UI are saved but a lot of it isn't.

 

The majority of emulator settings are saved on exit from the profile or emulator, so if you start a new copy before then, it won't see the settings. This goes double if you are in portable mode (Altirra.ini), as in that case the entire virtual Registry is not saved until exit -- running two simultaneous copies in this situation is not supported, and typically all settings will be overwritten by the last instance to exit.

 

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, phaeron said:

The majority of emulator settings are saved on exit from the profile or emulator, so if you start a new copy before then, it won't see the settings. This goes double if you are in portable mode (Altirra.ini), as in that case the entire virtual Registry is not saved until exit -- running two simultaneous copies in this situation is not supported, and typically all settings will be overwritten by the last instance to exit.

 

 

It's ok to run multiple instances simultaneosly and exit them in any order at any time *IF* they have their own altirra.ini file specified on the command-line like altirraStarRaiders1.ini and altirraDefender.ini and altirraCentipede.ini. Right?

 

I've been doing that for a while with no apparent problems, but then again I don't have a lot of complex configurations going.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, phaeron said:

There isn't currently much integration between the debugger commands and the debugger UI, though I could probably put one in here. Need to look over the Watch window again, it hasn't gotten much attention (I don't really use it). A few settings in the debugger UI are saved but a lot of it isn't.

I think it really depends on the use case. Previously for me it was enough to get data information on entering the procedures. Currently I'm working on one big project with physics simulation and I need to see state of dozen of variables of different size (byte, word, dword) basically at any time, to make sure that calculations are correct. If addition of such interconnection of debugger UI and debugger commands is too time consuming, then I'll stay with reusing the program instance. While it is not perfect, usually works well enough. I have to say that Altirra with WUDSN IDE is extraordinary combination for development. Big THANK YOU for the best emulator and amazing debugging capabilities!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Keatah said:

 

It's ok to run multiple instances simultaneosly and exit them in any order at any time *IF* they have their own altirra.ini file specified on the command-line like altirraStarRaiders1.ini and altirraDefender.ini and altirraCentipede.ini. Right?

 

I've been doing that for a while with no apparent problems, but then again I don't have a lot of complex configurations going.

Yes, this is fine. It's only an issue when the same INI is being used.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2020 at 4:57 AM, phaeron said:

Initial SIDE 3 emulation support. Currently emulated: read-only SDHC, DMA, partial cartridge emulation, basic RTC. Only tested on the SIDE 3 Loader so far.

God bless you. :)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.00-test20.zip

 

  • SIDE3 fixes for cartridge emulation and SDHC capacity reporting.
  • Added .side3 debugger command.
  • Fixed Ctrl/Shift+Space not being bound correctly in the direct key layout.
  • Ctrl/Shift are now blocked from keyboard processing for virtual key bindings when used in input maps, unless the 'share' option is set. Note that character (cooked) bindings are not affected, because of the way that the OS keyboard driver works and AltGr being equivalent to Ctrl+RAlt.

 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2020 at 1:04 AM, phaeron said:

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.00-test20.zip

 

  • SIDE3 fixes for cartridge emulation and SDHC capacity reporting.
  • Added .side3 debugger command.
  • Fixed Ctrl/Shift+Space not being bound correctly in the direct key layout.
  • Ctrl/Shift are now blocked from keyboard processing for virtual key bindings when used in input maps, unless the 'share' option is set. Note that character (cooked) bindings are not affected, because of the way that the OS keyboard driver works and AltGr being equivalent to Ctrl+RAlt.

 

Hi Phaeron,

I'm trying to compile latest source and I'm having troubles with Kernel part (worked in 3.90):

image.thumb.png.f585231ffddd202092ac4237f6d3fb46.png

image.thumb.png.f133944a2366345c895767501abd795c.png

 

I had to change Kernel makefile (add label) like this:

 

image.thumb.png.8f74c088ccdce5024ced8c825523d4ef.png

 

..now whole solution can be built.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, matosimi said:

Hi Phaeron,

I'm trying to compile latest source and I'm having troubles with Kernel part (worked in 3.90):

 

 

 

I had to change Kernel makefile (add label) like this:

 

 

 

..now whole solution can be built.

Looks like this is triggered by a behavior change in MADS between the version I'm using (1.9.8b5) and the latest versions. The workaround you have is fine, I'll probably end up moving the configuration defines from kernel.s up to main.s. I have to validate that current MADS is good though, as I have had breakage in AltirraOS a few times after updating MADS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.00-test21.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.00-test21-src.zip

  • Compatibility fixes to 6502 source for MADS 2.1.0. The .fl command is seriously bugged in 2.1.0 and is frequently wrong by 1ulp, so I've hardcoded all FP constants in the AltirraOS math pack as hex. There was also an ATN() constant that was incorrectly encoded by the assembler even in MADS 1.9.8b5, so the AltirraOS version has been bumped to 3.30. The fallback Ultimate1MB recovery ROM now also assembles with 2.1.0.
  • Fixed a bug in the PBI-based SIO acceleration that manifested with some versions of SpartaDOS X where key repeat would stop working. This was caused by the PBI code clearing CRITIC, which interacted badly with SDX doing a DEC CRITIC afterward to balance its INC CRITIC. This then disabled stage-2 VBLANK processing.
  • SIDE 3 emulation fixes: DMA source/destination pointer and count registers are now double-buffered, implemented activity LED and LED registers, implemented r/w bit 2 in write protect register, and SpartaDOS X switch is now implemented.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a problem but Chrome with all the latest MS updates was refusing to even accept there was a download from the link, flashed the screen and did nothing, got around it by choosing open link in new tab and then it happily downloaded it without the the previous issue where it asked you to discard it...Weird, blooming MS up to its tricks no doubt..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

Not a problem but Chrome with all the latest MS updates was refusing to even accept there was a download from the link, flashed the screen and did nothing, got around it by choosing open link in new tab and then it happily downloaded it without the the previous issue where it asked you to discard it...Weird, blooming MS up to its tricks no doubt..

Same issue, same solution, great minds.....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Not a problem but Chrome with all the latest MS updates was refusing to even accept there was a download from the link, flashed the screen and did nothing, got around it by choosing open link in new tab and then it happily downloaded it without the the previous issue where it asked you to discard it...Weird, blooming MS up to its tricks no doubt..

Chrome is on a crusade against http download links from https sites ("mixed content download"), see here: https://blog.chromium.org/2020/02/protecting-users-from-insecure.html

 

As AtariAge is served via https (which is a good thing) a lot of the (esp older) http links here on the forum will be blocked without notice.

 

so long,

 

Hias

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...