IGNORED

Altirra 3.90 released

phaeron

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a guide or help document anywhere. It's been a long time since I've used an emulator and I am having all sorts of trouble getting games to work that I download from Atarimania. Primarily I constantly get this error when I try to load many of the cartridge or disk images via attach cartridge or attach disk and no matter what I do, it makes no difference. 

image.png.1aea9f620333eaec35de4b71d8bce9fc.png

16 minutes ago, Mazzspeed said:

It's a shame there's no Linux build of this software, furthermore it doesn't seem to work under Wine.

Why do you say that? I have run both Altirra 3.90 and 4.00 (up to test 20) on Wine. I haven't had luck with the 64-bit version, but the 32-bit version works fine on Wine. I can't really use it right now because there's a problem with game controller support on macOS when using Wine, but it should work just fine under Linux.

Bob C

49 minutes ago, darwinmac said:

Why do you say that? I have run both Altirra 3.90 and 4.00 (up to test 20) on Wine. I haven't had luck with the 64-bit version, but the 32-bit version works fine on Wine. I can't really use it right now because there's a problem with game controller support on macOS when using Wine, but it should work just fine under Linux.

Bob C

Hmmmm, interesting.

I will admit, I haven't really put too much effort into getting it running, but now you've confirmed it works I'll work it out. Cheers.

2 hours ago, Max_Chatsworth said:

Is there a guide or help document anywhere.

These is a comprehensive help file built right into Altirra.

The type of error you're getting is highly likely related to emulated machine settings, or how/what the emulated machine is configured as. Might even be firmware-configuration related too.

An example would be trying to run a modern-day demo on an Atari 400, ain't gonna work. Not in real life, not emulated life.

And attaching things as cartridges means they should be the same size as real-hardware cartridges. And don't forget to try drag-n-drop method.

Which images are you having trouble with?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Max_Chatsworth said:

Is there a guide or help document anywhere. It's been a long time since I've used an emulator and I am having all sorts of trouble getting games to work that I download from Atarimania. Primarily I constantly get this error when I try to load many of the cartridge or disk images via attach cartridge or attach disk and no matter what I do, it makes no difference. 

image.png.1aea9f620333eaec35de4b71d8bce9fc.png

Max, if you tell me a few titles that don't work and cause that I'll look at why, it won't be Altirra's fault..Don't expect miracles, I'm nothing to do with Altirra but I've tested thousands of games on it..

Edited by Mclaneinc

7 hours ago, DjayBee said:

Huh? 

What fact of the window do you change? Sometimes one or two decorative words make sentences actually understandable. 

Resize the Window, move the Window.... whatever. 

It stops, but it shouldn't. 

This also means that Multitasking can interfere the sound reproduction, and this should be solved. 

8 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

Max, if you tell me a few titles that don't work and cause that I'll look at why, it won't be Altirra's fault..Don't expect miracles, I'm nothing to do with Altirra but I've tested thousands of games on it..

Will do.   

Thanks!

29 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

Well both the Shamus.atx and Shamux.rom dumps at AtariAge give me that error when I file -> boot image -> and select them. I've also tried load/attach disk and cartridge for the appropriate file extension as well. I would attach the files here but I figured that was a no no?

You can attach both of those files..Its ok..And worth me having what you are using..

The atx is possibly down to no having accurate sector times ticked..And make sure basic isn't enabled...

But pop the images on here and I'll check yours for you..

Paul..

PS, I think off the top of my head that Shamus is OSB...

Yes, OSB, set the profile in settings to 400 /  800 computer (as long as you have the needs OS roms that will fix it..)

Edited by Mclaneinc

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.00-test26.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.00-test26-src.zip

• Removed support for old WDDM 1.0 drivers that only supported RGBA and not BGRA in Direct3D 10. This will only affect you if you are running old Vista drivers on Windows 7 and have D3D11 enabled (in which case you should update).
  • Fixed a bug that caused XF551 emulator to intermittently break after about 10 minutes.
  • Added two new hard disk devices: a temporary write filter, that buffers writes in-memory to a read-only device, and a virtual SDFS device. The latter provides an virtual APT partition created from loose files, like the virtual SpartaDOS disk.
  • Fixed the Intensity Scale color setting working differently with the NTSC high artifacting engine, where it was not properly scaling chroma.
  • Fixed a bug with the NTSC high artifacting chroma filter that was causing excessive banding, due to truncation of the filter response.
  • The bloom effect engine now uses sRGB textures on D3D11 to reduce banding.

The work on the display code was prompted by a new monitor that I got that supports HDR/WCG and adaptive sync. HDR on Windows 10 is, frankly, a total mess -- the way it is integrated into the system is non-sensical, with it having to be enabled system-wide to use it at all. It would have some benefit in the emulator in being able to boost brightness higher than the desktop and encode to wider gamuts like DCI-P3, but there is some really bad compression going on at scRGB >1 on my system that makes it unusable since I can't tell what the transfer curve is. I could probably fix this in full-screen mode by bypassing to the NVIDIA or AMD APIs to enable HDR and outputting HDR10 directly, but that's too much work right now.

Adaptive sync / FreeSync / G-SYNC does mostly work, but there are still some gotchas. The primary benefit is that it allows the monitor to actually run at 49.86Hz or twice that for smooth PAL video. You will need to disable Vertical Sync in the emulator for this to work. On my system, it only works through DisplayPort and not HDMI, and can sometimes fail to activate when multiple monitors are active. For D3D9 it only works in full-screen mode; in D3D11 it will work windowed and borderless fullscreen as well as long as windowed mode G-SYNC is enabled in NVIDIA settings. When enabled correctly, it largely eliminates the PAL juddering.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Alfred said:

In the extra devices, it's not required that the device server is written in Python, correct ? 

No, it only needs to conform to the binary protocol. It's just that the included framework is written in Python 3. You could write it in anything that supports an incoming TCP socket.

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.00-test27.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.00-test27-src.zip

• Added debugger option to tag log channels with raw timestamp (lft -r).
  • Fixes to POKEY emulation for corner cases where timer timing was disrupted by enabling or disabling IRQs, particularly with 16-bit linked channels.
  • Initial HDR support.

HDR support makes it possible for the emulator to display NTSC colors that would otherwise be clamped and altered in sRGB, especially on displays that can handle wider color spaces. To enable it, you need an HDR-capable display and graphics card, Windows 10 1709+ with HDR enabled in Settings, and DirectX 11 and accelerated screen effects need to be enabled in the emulator. If everything is set up correctly, the HDR options will become available in View > Screen Effects and you will be able to enable HDR and just the SDR/HDR intensities. This is best done with a colormap so you can see the effect on the color palette -- you want the HDR white intensity to be set below the max brightness of your display to provide headroom for saturated colors. Highly saturated hot pink colors in particular reproduce much more accurately with HDR mode enabled -- if you compare the NTSC Contemporary (XL) profile in SDR and HDR, the $2F/3F/4F colors and artifacted purples are closer to a TV or CRT monitor. You don't need a great monitor to do this, even a garbage-tier HDR monitor at 350 nits can still work.

There was some significant rework in the display paths and there are a couple of combinations of display settings that occasionally give a washed out gray screen from the wrong color range being used, either on-screen or in copy/record; I'll be fixing these up before release once I find a better way of testing all of the different combinations. When things are working correctly you will still get an SDR image from the copy image or record commands since the clipboard and Media Foundation don't really support HDR yet. (Which is kind of annoying, as there isn't a reasonable way for me to post of picture of what it looks like.)

For those who don't have an HDR-capable setup, there are a couple of other options. A display capable of Adobe RGB will do fairly well if you switch both the monitor and emulator to that color space, since Adobe RGB is wider than sRGB and closer to NTSC in gamut. (DCI-P3, which is increasingly popular, is somewhere in between and I don't have a monitor supporting it to test against.) Alternatively, you can reduce Intensity Scale down to around 70% and boost the brightness of the display. The downside of these methods is that it will distort the display for everything else. I've experimented with automatically implementing psuedo-HDR this way, but it's complicated by inconsistent ways of changing the display brightness, including DDC/CI for monitors and IOCTL or WMI (ugh) for laptop displays.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Hey @phaeron,

Sorry to be a nit picker but could we get a way via command line to differentiate osa-pal from osa-ntsc.

Using "/pal /hardware:800 /kernel:osa" results in an 800 with NTSC OSA but PAL timings. There are a small number of cassettes particularly that will fail to auto-boot in this configuration but work with the same config that is then switched to OSA PAL in profile, but I can't achieve that on the command line that I see:

/kernel:default|osa|osb|xl|lle|llexl|5200|5200lle
              Select kernel ROM
  /hardware:800|800xl|5200
              Select hardware type
  /memsize:8K|16K|24K|32K|48K|52K|64K|128K|320K|320KCOMPY|576K|576KCOMPY|1088K

(also shouldn't the /hardware: above be 800|800XL|1200XL|XEGS|5200 ? Above is a dump from the command line help, I picked the latter out of the source code at one point. )

8 hours ago, dukdukgoos said:

Phaeron, could you add the 1200XL rev. 11 OS ROM to the firmware detection list? CRC32 is 1A1D7B1B. Thanks!

Are you sure it’s not already there? I’ve run the rev 11 OS in Altirra before and the the system finds my copy of the ROM in the firmware manager and ID’s it just fine. 

2 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

Are you sure it’s not already there? I’ve run the rev 11 OS in Altirra before and the the system finds my copy of the ROM in the firmware manager and ID’s it just fine. 

No, it is not.

Incidentally I yesterday reconfigured my Altirra with 4.00-test27 and was also surprised.

Perhaps rev 11 with CRC32 1A1D7B1B is no longer the "official" dump of rev 11, but it is the one mentioned in Freddy Offenga's list of OSs.

Oh, btw - completely unrelated:

Where can I find dumps of "exotic" releases?

Encounter and Rainbow Walker verify the OS and allow any official one up to XL-OS rev 2 and one more which is not part of Freddy's list of official releases. I wopuld like to find out what it is.

Edited by DjayBee

5 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

Yes I'm sure. There's only one 1200XL rom in the ROM detection source code and it's the 10 variant