IGNORED

Opcode Games newsletter Q3 2020

opcode

Thanks much for all you've done so far! I think releasing the controller is a great idea since this has so many uses for the CV fanbase. 

Regarding your new carts - is there any reason to think these also won't work on the Phoenix?

Thank you Albert!

All games should work with the Phoenix. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, PaulosD said:

Glad more games are being released.  Moon Cresta looks great, btw. Also, can't wait for the controllers. So, what's going to happen to Dracula's Castle? Being a huge early Konomi fan I've got to ask. Keep up the good work and Thanks!

Well, Dracula's Castle is shelved for now. It could come back if and when I revive the OMNI thing, or it could morph into something else, like a regular SGM1 release. But to be honest that isn't something that I am planning to do in the near term, as I indicated I am aiming for throughput, and porting Dracula's Castle for the CV isn't exactly trivial.

51 minutes ago, opcode said:

Well, Dracula's Castle is shelved for now. It could come back if and when I revive the OMNI thing, or it could morph into something else, like a regular SGM1 release. But to be honest that isn't something that I am planning to do in the near term, as I indicated I am aiming for throughput, and porting Dracula's Castle for the CV isn't exactly trivial.

Your comment got me thinking... The Expansion Module #1 (i.e. the Atari 2600 expansion module) somehow manages to bypass the Coleco VDP entirely and output directly to the TV screen via the ColecoVision's TV out cable. Could another, more advanced expansion module use that same "bypass method" to output colorful graphics like those in your Dracula's Castle game? Or is it something on the ColecoVision's motherboard that's custom-tailored for the Expansion Module #1 only?

7 minutes ago, Pixelboy said:

Your comment got me thinking... The Expansion Module #1 (i.e. the Atari 2600 expansion module) somehow manages to bypass the Coleco VDP entirely and output directly to the TV screen via the ColecoVision's TV out cable. Could another, more advanced expansion module use that same "bypass method" to output colorful graphics like those in your Dracula's Castle game? Or is it something on the ColecoVision's motherboard that's custom-tailored for the Expansion Module #1 only?

You can output whatever you like, but it will be composite only. SGM2 is doing that... or was...

Right... And I suppose you cannot "disconnect" the Coleco's VDP when running a regular Coleco cart via the cartridge port, in order to redirect the graphic output to an expansion module that can output something better.

Forget I said anything.  :) 

6 minutes ago, Pixelboy said:

Right... And I suppose you cannot "disconnect" the Coleco's VDP when running a regular Coleco cart via the cartridge port, in order to redirect the graphic output to an expansion module that can output something better.

Forget I said anything.  :) 

We can move this to PM. I don't discuss tech stuff in open forum anymore. 

Pre-order for the SGM 5th run has officially started. If you subscribed to the waiting list, you should have received an email from us with instructions. If you don't see it, please check your spam box. We will post a direct link for pre-ordering here soon.

• Like 1

I would like to know if the limited (40 pcs) Color Line games also become available then. I sure have a wishlist!

Unfortunately those were limited editions, so I don’t think it would be right for us to make any more. Sorry :(

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, opcode said:

Unfortunately those were limited editions, so I don’t think it would be right for us to make any more. Sorry :(

Okay, too bad?...somehow I never received an email back then (maybe there wasn't) so I missed out on those. I know I have to be more attentive for new releases. I am working on it ?.

One thing is for sure. The future looks bright for us Colecovision fans ?!

9 hours ago, SiLic0ne t0aD said:

Aww, no Color Line re-releases at all? There's a few I missed out on and was hoping to scoop up at some point. ?

25 minutes ago, mufla said:

Ed - hope you will reconsider taking a vote on some color line re-releases.  Many longtime collectors missed the boat on a few.  Happy to preorder.

Guys, we will restock the Color Line, early next year, once we have our new cartridge tooling. Right now we are cartridge shell constrained. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, insertclevernamehere said:

I’m curious to know what improvements you’re making to the 2nd run of Gradius mentioned in the August newsletter.  It could make all the difference between a pass and a must purchase for me. 

Ditto.

I took myself off the waitlist in early July after private confirmation there was no difference from the original run, with respect to the game itself. Change of plans?

Ok, some explanation is due. Indeed, Gradius was supposed to be a simple re-release. In fact we even started the manufacturing process. Boxes were printed. But then I decided to add a new video mode supporting advanced tech like F18A and Phoenix. So because of that I moved the game to the end of my 4 games list to give me enough time to implement everything. Truth is, all games are receiving the same upgraded video mode options, but that didn't affect their schedule much. DKA had to be delayed for a different reason, that being that I decided to redo the sound engine from scratch after 3 generations of patches. But even that should be in beta very soon. Anyway, new video mode didn't affect other games much, but affects Gradius because of the complexity of that game and the many required changes. So in order to keep the pipeline flowing, I moved that to the end of the line, with DKA being the first in line, followed by Pac-Man DX, Moon Cresta/Eagle, and finally Gradius in early 2021. But for those with the hardware, the improvements should be worth the waiting.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, opcode said:

Ok, some explanation is due. Indeed, Gradius was supposed to be a simple re-release. In fact we even started the manufacturing process. Boxes were printed. But then I decided to add a new video mode supporting advanced tech like F18A and Phoenix. So because of that I moved the game to the end of my 4 games list to give me enough time to implement everything. Truth is, all games are receiving the same upgraded video mode options, but that didn't affect their schedule much. DKA had to be delayed for a different reason, that being that I decided to redo the sound engine from scratch after 3 generations of patches. But even that should be in beta very soon. Anyway, new video mode didn't affect other games much, but affects Gradius because of the complexity of that game and the many required changes. So in order to keep the pipeline flowing, I moved that to the end of the line, with DKA being the first in line, followed by Pac-Man DX, Moon Cresta/Eagle, and finally Gradius in early 2021. But for those with the hardware, the improvements should be worth the waiting.

Awesome!  That sounds like Gradius will have some creamy smooth scrolling.  Just what I wanted.  Name just put on the waiting list.  Thanks Opcode!! 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, opcode said:

I’m a little confused. I think I may be on the DKA list since I bought the DKA box. I don’t seem to remember a pac man dx pre-order email, although I am on the gradius  list. Are any of these limited to orders from years ago?

I’m a little confused. I think I may be on the DKA list since I bought the DKA box. I don’t seem to remember a pac man dx pre-order email, although I am on the gradius  list. Are any of these limited to orders from years ago?

No. I don’t plan to have any preorder with games. We will sell when they are ready, or at least ready for manufacturing.

44 minutes ago, opcode said:

No. I don’t plan to have any preorder with games. We will sell when they are ready, or at least ready for manufacturing.

It sounded like Gradius was coming after DKA and PMDX (gradius moved to the end), yet, I am on a gradius list, soo figured there must have been a DKA and PMDX reservation list already.