IGNORED

Classic Game Fest 2020, CANCELLED

SpiceWare

That is interesting. I do like the dates, just don’t know how much will change by then.  

I hope to be in Austin that weekend visiting with my Dad. If things turnaround, I would definitely drop by the convention. Especially if you guys decide to attend. 

I currently have no intentions of attending, either as a guest or vendor.  There's no way I'm going to a convention when people will be packed in there like sardines, especially on Saturday, if it's anything like previous years.  COVID-19 is still going to be around, and we certainly won't have a vaccine by then. 

If the situation changes substantially for the better by then, then sure, I'll attend, but I'm not holding my breath.

..Al

I have to go back to Austin sometime this year to see some family and get some of my stuff. I might try to time it around the time of this show, but not sure if it's worth bothering, based on feedback from past shows. And of course, that will all depend on the state of COVID-19 around then. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, as much as I love shows like this, it's just not prudent at all to continue with them this year.  There is no way I would have gone to Classic Game Fest, as that show gets supremely crowded, especially on Saturday. It would be impossible to reasonably implement any sort of social distancing plans, and people will be touching everything at the booths, any arcade games, doors, bathrooms, etc...   Same is true with the Houston Arcade Expo, which I was hoping to attend this year since it's usually the same time (or close to) when PRGE takes place, and my focus is on PRGE.  So that sucks.  The new venue is certainly a nice improvement.  :)

I hope a vaccine becomes available and widely distributed next year so things can start getting back to normal.

..Al

Don't people in general apply common sense and would be able to not form crowds? I agree about touching items, not sure if mandatory gloves would improve anything as people might touch their faces etc.

For that matter, all retro events in Sweden have been cancelled as well, from March to October. We were planning to arrange Retrogathering on September 26th, but already in July (*) realized the circumstances would not make it possible. Instead of cancelling, we've postponed it to January 30th next year and hope that things are somehow back into normal swing by then.

(*) The others in the crew wanted to cancel it much sooner, but as the head of the event I wanted to wait as long as possible before pulling the plug.

• Like 1

Some of the news, but I guess that is a "no", that the common sense leaves the body when the materialistic needs enter.

OTOH if video game collectors would turn out to behave better than the general population, it would improve our rating from overgrown children to respectful citizens who can uphold our hobbies even in a crisis.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, Machine said:

Looks like this show is planning to return this year on July 24-25th.

I have never been to this show. Just wondering how many members have been and their thoughts?

I’ve attended a couple of times, because AtariAge has a booth each time. My last time might have been 2015 (super cool with the Space Rocks and Fall Down tournaments).  I remember the floor space was quite cramped that year, but they were going to add a lot of additional floor space, a year or two ago. Austin is about a three hour drive for me and my Dad and brother live north of the city, so I get to visit with them and take in the show for a few hours.  Honestly, if AA didn’t have a booth, I probably wouldn’t attend, but I did enjoy the couple of times I did attend. 

I just had my first COVID vaccination this Monday.  Not sure about attending indoor events like this yet, but I may feel differently in a few months time.  Have to wait and see...
https://atariage.com/forums/topic/240716-atariage-booth-at-classic-game-fest/?do=findComment&comment=3286729

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

I’ve attended a couple of times, because AtariAge has a booth each time. My last time might have been 2015 (super cool with the Space Rocks and Fall Down tournaments).

I haven't attended Classic Game Fest since 2015.  It's a fun show, but has a fairly different feel compared to the Portland Retro Gaming Expo, which definitely emphasizes retro gaming over modern gaming better than CGF.  And the crowd that attends Classic Game Fest isn't really interested in buying homebrew games, so given the time involved to prepare and attend an event like this, it's harder to justify, even as a local show. 

10 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

I just had my first COVID vaccination this Monday.  Not sure about attending indoor events like this yet, but I may feel differently in a few months time.

Had my first shot last Friday, and I drove all the way to Houston to get it (and will have to go back for the second shot in three weeks!)  I am absolutely not interested in attending any big shows like this until a significant number of the population has been vaccinated.  I speak to hundreds of people face-to-face at shows like this, and they are often very crowded (especially on Saturday) with wall-to-wall people at times.  Just not worth taking the risk right now.

..Al

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Albert said:

It's a fun show, but has a fairly different feel compared to the Portland Retro Gaming Expo, which definitely emphasizes retro gaming

This is true and retro gaming is what interests me. Still, your setups are one of a kind.?

18 minutes ago, Albert said:

Had my first shot last Friday, and I drove all the way to Houston to get it (and will have to go back for the second shot in three weeks!)

Ha! I almost went did the opposite and headed your way. 

From my perspective as an arranger of a smaller event, I feel completely empty right now. Last year around this time I was positive, hoping the pandemic would pass by quickly so we were planning two events, 5 and 10 months into the future. Alas we had to cancel both.

As the time slowly drags by, right now I have no desire at all to even start planning an event, and knowing that many vendors would hesitate to come, even less motivated to plan ahead whether it is on a horizon of 6, 9 or 12 months. Also over here the restrictions on gatherings are quite limited, either 8 people in a smaller room or 10 m2 per person, max 50 people in a larger room, which makes planning an event pointless. Combined with that vaccinations are awfully delayed - today it was said that everyone hopefully are vaccinated by August 15 - I can't see myself even starting to plan for something for rest of this year.

With that being said, I'm quite impressed by the arrangers of the Classic Game Fest and other events who actually still maintain positive and feel it is doable to run an event. I suppose the local conditions are different and perhaps after more than a year's worth of hiatus, many people would be willing to take risks only for the fun of going. Without knowing anything about the details, I would assume they have signed up enough number of base vendors to get a "go" signal.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be setting up this year, I have tons and tons of stuff to sell (I bought 4 tables). Most of my prices will be 1/4 to 1/2 off of pricecharting which is usually lower than ebay.

I've already had both shots and most people will be vaccinated or already had covid by the time of the show. So I believe the risk factor is pretty low.

I think most people are just itching to get out.

I'll see y'all there.

• 1 month later...

I'm on the fence on whether to fly or drive to this event. It would involve 17 hours of driving from Minnesota. I haven't hit a classic gaming convention(Portland's or Midwest Gaming Classic) in a few years, so I have that itch for a geeking-out weekend. 

Still there's the concern of the covid mandates in effect at that time.