IGNORED

Omega's OPINION (take it or leave it).

Omega-TI

I've been back into the TI now for around eight years, and during this time I've seen the TI get ever more popular, but I've also seen prices rise, sometimes to obscene levels on older legacy stuff.  When people want to dip their feet into the pond, they want to check whether it's worth going in.  Sometimes exorbitant pricing can scare people away.  Well, I don't want to sound like a commercial, but the truth is, this new TIPI/32K sidecar and Raspberry Pi ZERO combination that fits in the speech synthesizer case gives one so much bang for the buck, but at an truly affordable entry point.  I mean really, it's all the power of a full-blown P-Box and more that fits in the palm of your hand.  When word gets out to the non-TI community, I believe our ranks will grow even more. 

So, in closing, IN MY OPINION, it's in the top three of the "must have" category.  Maybe I should make video commercial...

• Like 3

I agree, it's one of the top three.  Can you imagine how things may have progressed had this capability been around in the 80's or early 90's?

The TIPI has what resurrected my interest in terminal emulation and bbs software.  It gives a user the ability with software like MXT that can be loaded from a URI path to start adding software to their TIPI without going through even a network configuration if they so desire.

• Like 5

This is one of the reasons I've still been an advocate for the role of the NanoPEB/CF7 even in the wake of the TIPI.  I think it's so important to have affordable, accessible, compact solutions that deliver the basics for folks who aren't already heavily invested and aren't particularly interested in getting heavily invested.  Not necessarily folks who *never* used a TI-99.  Rather, more so for the huge number of folks who used a TI-99 to some extent, and maybe even still own one, but were never involved in the community, and never owned a PEB. 

My only issue with specifically proposing the TIPI+32K in the speech synthesizer case as a entry-level solution for new or returning users (which isn't how I'd thought of it previously), is that it's cannibalising the housing for a device which, while not uncommon by any means, has its own associated cost, and is in high demand among exactly the same demographic as this is being proposed to appeal to.  Since speech synth is a feature which has an instantly understandable appeal to casual users, and is instantly identified with the system.  So it's the first add-on a lot of casual or entry-level users often want.  It seems unfortunate to popularise an entry-level expansion solution which cannibalises an in-demand component among that same group for its aesthetic appeal.  As a cool hack, it's definitely neat, and I'm glad it exists.  But proposed as a widespread entry-level solution, it has that inherent issue. 

You mention the problem of rising prices for legacy components.  And recognising that likewise, I definitely appreciate the way that a steady stream of sidecar 32Ks and TIPIs and NanoPEBs make it possible to grow the user base and give people the right tools without having everyone competing for a shrinking supply of available legacy components on the auction market.  But I can't see that a sidecar solution which is based around repurposing an in-demand item has that same appeal - where it makes it possible to grow the community and active user base independent of concerns for supply of legacy components. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pixelpedant said:

My only issue with specifically proposing the TIPI+32K in the speech synthesizer case as a entry-level solution for new or returning users (which isn't how I'd thought of it previously), is that it's cannibalising the housing for a device which, while not uncommon by any means, has its own associated cost, and is in high demand among exactly the same demographic as this is being proposed to appeal to.  Since speech synth is a feature which has an instantly understandable appeal to casual users, and is instantly identified with the system.  So it's the first add-on a lot of casual or entry-level users often want.  It seems unfortunate to popularise an entry-level expansion solution which cannibalises an in-demand component among that same group for its aesthetic appeal.  As a cool hack, it's definitely neat, and I'm glad it exists.  But proposed as a widespread entry-level solution, it has that inherent issue. 

Exactly - and as Omega says, I think the "right" thing to do is make a 3d printed case, rather than cannibalizing old gear.

8 minutes ago, WhataKowinkydink said:

Exactly - and as Omega says, I think the "right" thing to do is make a 3d printed case, rather than cannibalizing old gear.

The case I used was empty after having stuck the speech in the P-Box, so I was happy to put it back into active service after languishing in a drawer for so long.

• Like 5

I sure wish it were possible to 3D print aluminum :P

It's not like black plastic is any kind of bad match for the system.  But custom casing with aluminum (or similar metallic) elements would be the ultimate. 

The speech synth module is so aesthetically perfect for it.  It definitely does represent an ideal, for sidecar component design. 

3 hours ago, pixelpedant said:

That's why we need a CPLD speech synth replacement we can drop onto the same board. ;) Let's obsolete all the original hardware and go for another 20 years! ;)

• Like 4

13 hours ago, pixelpedant said:

I sure wish it were possible to 3D print aluminum :P

It's not like black plastic is any kind of bad match for the system.  But custom casing with aluminum (or similar metallic) elements would be the ultimate. 

The speech synth module is so aesthetically perfect for it.  It definitely does represent an ideal, for sidecar component design. 

It totally is bruh (well, Aluminium titanium vanadium alloy anyway) , you just have to have more dollars than sense laying around.

https://markforged.com/metal-x/

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, save2600 said:

Picking on is the phrase. If you were picking at him, that would be pretty gross - what with all the hair, skin, blood and all.  ?

??. Ok, how about this?  I’m just picking on him and how often he upgrades.  ??

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, acadiel said:

??. Ok, how about this?  I’m just picking on him and how often he upgrades.  ??

To me, this falls under the heading of "subjective opinion".  Who decides for others what is too much?  This hobby is different things to people and we all get enjoyment from our hobbies in different ways.  If stuff keeps getting better, fills my needs better, gets smaller or more useful, of course I'll upgrade and give kudos and thanks to the people that have given me so much enjoyment.

• Like 1

Disclaimer:  I've never tried this stuff personally. 

But, a 3D printed top could be designed specifically with the application of this stuff in mind.  I bet the finished product could look better than an all plastic box.  They claim it's 3.9mm thick, so it could probably replace the trim on a thrashed looking but operational console as well.

<< CLICK HERE >>

It comes in different sized rolls.  The small one should work for a TI'er.

Roll.thumb.jpg.6641a5261be90f51d0e363f0b0ec8077.jpg

Here is an example of someone that used a lot of it.

Example.jpg.52c74380573ae8d7e5abcf3bac0bb674.jpg

If someone plays guinea pig on this, I'd love to see the before and after.

• Like 1