IGNORED

Atari Flashback 9/X Trouble Shooting

Since there are always questions and help requests popping up I thought I would make a thread to help others.
This was a FAQ put together that may help Atari Flashback 9 and X users. Have any other questions? Just ask Here.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

What does "AFB" and "CFW" mean?
AFB stands for Atari Flashback. CFW stands for Custom Firmware.

Where can I buy this console?
The AFBX can be found at the Family Dollar store. The AFBX Deluxe version can be found at Sam's Club.

Do original joysticks and paddles work?
Yes. In the case of the AFB9 units, a paddle controller only works after a modification is done.

Can the CFW brick my console?
No. The system will always recognize a properly named update file if present on boot. 

Will I lose any of my stock games?
No. The control files are hiding the internal rom and emulator partitions, and instead, loading them with all their roms, box art, UI elements and game config file from the storage device. If you delete the two control files, the unit will function like normal.

Will I be able to return the system to normal?
Yes. If you are running the CFW, you can always flash it back to the official AtGames firmware. Just note, once you update with either the official or the CFW you can NOT return to out of the box stock. You can only restore to the current official AtGames firmware version update from their website.

My storage device isn't working?
Your device is not compatible or it is not formatted properly. The file system should be FAT32. Make sure your device uses MRB partition style. For USB devices try using the MiniTool Partition Wizard. For the AFB9s the SD Card needs to be 8GB or less. For SD Cards, the SD Association's Card Formatter utility is what is recommended.

Why won't the system recognize my update image file?
Make sure the file is named "atari_update.img" and its on the root of your storage device. And the device is securely inserted before you power the system on.

Why won't the RKdevTool see my AFBX/D console in recovery mode?
Make sure you have installed the AFBX/D device drivers with the DriverAssistant to your PC. Some newer PCs with Windows 10 block the drivers. Solving that issue, or using a PC with an older version of Windows may help.

Why won't my console connect to my PC?

Make sure you are using a USB cable with a data line. The included USB cold will not work.

Why does the system keeps prompting me to update it over and over again?
After a successful update the system will immediately prompt you to update it again. The second time press right and choose no. After it loads the main game menu, power off and remove your storage device. Delete the update file from the root of your storage device.

I flashed the wrong firmware / I'm stuck in recovery mode / the update didn't work. Now what?
If you flash the wrong official or CFW for your specific model just re-flash it. If it gets stuck in recovery mode, re-flash it. Update was interrupted? Re-flash it.

I dumped the partitions but files are missing or are corrupted?

You did not wait long enough for all the items to de dumped. If you are using an old sd card or a USB 2.0 device it will take a very long time. Sometimes the control files will not be triggered at all. Launching a game can help trigger them.

Do I have to dump the partitions first or can I just use the "rom" folder in this ROM Injector instead?

No. You do NOT have to dump the partitions first. You could just place the "rom" folder and the control files on the root of your storage device after a successful CFW update.

Why won't this game load? It's just a black screen when i try to launch it.

The ROM file is not compatile with this version of the Stella emulator or the ROM file itself is corrupted.

Why do I get a back screen and it freezes when I select the first small box art thumbnail?
The game description is too long. Find the "all-games.ini" game config file in the "rom" folder. Shorten the games description. Use NotePad or NotePad++ to edit and save the game config file.

Why when I navigate the pages of my SD Card or Ext. USB games list does the screen turn black and freeze?
You have a side loaded ROM in the "game" folder that has a file name that has special characters or is too long and you scrolled to the page it is on. Also note, the system won't boot if there are too many ROMs in the "game" folder. Around 6/7000+ ROMs and you will get a repeated black screen on boot.

Can I rename multiple ROMs at the same time?
Yes. A batch utility named Advanced Renamer is recommended.

Can I change the screen resolution?
No. There is no option to change the resolution.

Why can't I edit certain images and UI elements?
Certain files in the "emulator" folder, like the no bezel image "bezel_00.img" and the Stella core, are hardcoded to the system and cannot be edited with the CFW.

Can a newer version of the Stella emulator be ran instead?
In theory the Stella core could be swapped out. But it is not as simple as just doing a switcheroo with the emulator file. There is quite a bit more that would need to be done for it to be attempted. And then the question of if this device is even capable of running the 6.x version of Stella at all.

Could changes be flashed to the system permanently?
Yes. You can flash custom changes to the system permanently by creating new custom firmware. Even change hardcoded elements. But there is a small, limited amount of free space on these units. The ROM Injector pack would not fit.

Edited by Draxxon
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hello, I sent a few private messages about loading Atari Flashback X with games and box art, but I haven't heard back so I thought I would post.  

Will this computer running windows 7 pro 64 work? 

17 hours ago, martin00000000001 said:

Hello, I sent a few private messages about loading Atari Flashback X with games and box art, but I haven't heard back so I thought I would post.  

Will this computer running windows 7 pro 64 work? 

you'll want to post this question again in this topic:

have fun.

• 8 months later...

Anyone ever notice that its always an AFB9/G that bricks when trying to do a firmware update?

And as someone else pointed out... the Android Recovery never works, ever?

As far as helping Israel...

I dont have a clue. I mean, what version system did you have? what did you flash? Did the flash finish, or did you interrupt it?

If re-flashing the correct firmware won't work, ain't much you can do.

Edited by Draxxon

On 5/12/2021 at 10:15 AM, Draxxon said:

Anyone ever notice that its always an AFB9/G that bricks when trying to do a firmware update?

And as someone else pointed out... the Android Recovery never works, ever?

As far as helping Israel...

I dont have a clue. I mean, what version system did you have? what did you flash? Did the flash finish, or did you interrupt it?

If re-flashing the correct firmware won't work, ain't much you can do.

I bought the AFB9 like this and tried the atari_update.img and no luck. O and in order for me the get to that screen I need to open it up and press and hold the button on the Circuit board and then press the on button then disconnect the HDMI cable then reconnect the HDMI cable then the atgame logo appears for a second then the Android recovery appears. I’ve gone though every one of the options but no luck. So if anyone has any ideas I’m all ears. Thanks!!!